Ford Shelby GT500 Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

It's running very rich so there's also some power to be had by tuning.

·
Moderator/Admin Dude!
29,128 Posts
Just got done watching this... amazing! You beat me to the punch Henry! I started watching the video and then got interrupted by a phone call about another potential car purchase. I finished the video after the call and came here to post and BAM! You were quick! :p

·
Registered
2,923 Posts
Interesting that the 1st # ( 705 ) the operator states is " STD ", ( SAE J607 ), shops use this correction because it produces higher #'s.
Ford & other Mfg.'s use ( SAE J1349 ) corrected #'s when advertising hp & tq., then there's the transmission which doesn't have a 1 to 1 ratio.
There will be other dyno runs to answer the rwhp question.
On the " running rich " comment, that's how Ford tunes it's cars, & what my tuner noticed when my 2011 was running the FRPP 750 kit with the Pro-Cal tune..

·
Moderator/Admin Dude!
29,128 Posts
On the " running rich " comment, that's how Ford tunes it's cars, & what my tuner noticed when my 2011 was running the FRPP 750 kit with the Pro-Cal tune..
Yes! It’s Ford’s “cat protection strategies.” They send a bunch of fuel at WOT to cool the cats.

·
Premium Member
6,529 Posts
I would also imagine it's part of Ford's "let's not burn a hole in any pistons" strategy, as well as "let's get these suckers safely outside of warranty" strategy.. :)

·
Registered
2,112 Posts
Rich conditions can keep things slightly cooler. Reading the Randy Pobst's review about the GT500 at VIR running lap after lap, and hitting 170mph on the back straight every lap without losing power, I have to think that the richness of the mixture offers some cooling functionality as well as reserving a safety factor for just that sort of duty. If you wanted to lean it out to make some power, I imagine you'd do so with some potential for additional heat and a reduction in lap after lap reliability. Will be curious to see what the aftermarket turns up with.

·
Premium Member
3,992 Posts
Thoughts on why the RWHP is so much higher than expected? Dyno difference/calibration? Less than the standard 15% power train loss for the new DCT? Ford under-rating the engine?

·
Moderator/Admin Dude!
29,128 Posts
Thoughts on why the RWHP is so much higher than expected? Dyno difference/calibration? Less than the standard 15% power train loss for the new DCT? Ford under-rating the engine?
We can only speculate Mike. More dyno results will rule out dyno differences/calibrations. The DCT is a game changer in this car, but there is no advertised drivetrain loss with this new setup. It’s possible the new tranny loses less power and it’s also possible Ford dialed up the wick after publishing 760 hp. We have seen that info has not always been accurate with this new GT500.

·
Premium Member
3,992 Posts
Kind of what I thought Tim. Time will tell as more cars are delivered. Not sure what kind of losses are typical of DCT’s. Hard for me to imagine them as less than a manual, but what do I know. :)

·
Registered
2,923 Posts
As the motor hp & tq that Ford reports to the government are supervised by SAE, it isn't underrated.
A generous dyno & using STD calibrations = #'s inconsistent with the rated hp..

·
Registered
2,112 Posts
Kind of what I thought Tim. Time will tell as more cars are delivered. Not sure what kind of losses are typical of DCT’s. Hard for me to imagine them as less than a manual, but what do I know. :)
While they're more complex than a manual, at the end of the day they're directly engaged to the gear set via one of the two clutches while accelerating, but only half of the gears. The other gears sit with the other clutch. If anything this would mean a potential reduction in the drivetrain loss or at least equal to that of a manual. Manual transmission losses in modern gearboxes and with 1 piece carbon driveshafts it comes in at around 10-12% drivetrain loss. This should be towards the bottom end of that range.

·
Registered
2,112 Posts
Boding well for me. Have a $100 bet with a guy in my local car club that the average dyno would be less than 730whp. He thought this car was massively underrated and would turn closer to 750 at the tire the way many of the 390hp 03-04 cobras turned 370hp at the tire back in the day. Foolish bet on his behalf but a fool and his money are soon parted.

·
Registered
2,923 Posts
Does anyone here think that if Ford could have rated the 2020 GT500 @ 770, 780, 790, or 800 crank hp, they wouldn't have done it ??
Looks like the DCT / drivetrains allows for about 10 % loss, very good for an automatic..

·
Moderator/Admin Dude!
29,128 Posts
Looks like the DCT / drivetrains allows for about 10 % loss, very good for an automatic..
The difference being the DCT is not an automatic since it doesn’t have a torque converter. It is an “automated manual” and that’s why it is more efficient.

·
Registered
2,112 Posts
Ford followed the newest and latest SAE testing certification. Same ones the new Hellcats and C8's are using. When tested that way, and probably on 91 octane to make sure everyone can make the hp number on the lowest level fuel, they can't fudge the number. My guess is that it makes 760hp on 91 octane and maybe as much as 785 or so on 93 with the ecu sprinkling in a little extra timing.

·
Registered
6,786 Posts
This is what Hot Rod magazine had to say in the article I posted:

"First and foremost, mechanically, this is a manual transmission. There is no torque converter, nor does the trans have bands or planetary gears. It has a clutch, and internally the box looks similar to any synchronized manual trans you've seen. However, there are only two pedals on the GT500, no noticiable gearshift lever, and the car can be driven without driver input in terms of clutch actuation or shifting. So, it's a manual that acts like an automatic."

Now that torque number seems to be much lower than what Ford is claiming.

·
Registered
2,112 Posts
The original single plate automated manuals like youd fine in the early Ferraris, Lamborghinis (including the current Aventador still), Aston Martins, and more common cars like the E46 M3 were essentially manual transmissions with electronically automated shift forks and slave cylinders operating their clutch. With some clever engineering you could probably even revert some of them to being a true manual transmission again. They simply robotized and synchronized the act of pushing in the clutch and selecting gears.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts