Ford Shelby GT500 Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
2021 GT500 CFTP IG @superchargedaz
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
All,

My 2020 base did this and so does my 2021 CFTP, at low speeds in low gears around 1400-1700 RPM you can hear what sounds like a rattle coming from the center of the car, its slight, but definitely there. It actually sounds like its coming from the outside (engine trans area), but I've tried to hear it with wife driving the car and me jogging along side and cannot hear it from the outside. Have any of you heard this and know what it is? Its not the rattle that comes from the driver side lower left interior panel, that's a different one lol.

·
Moderator/Admin Dude!
2020 CFTP Red! 2011 Kona Blue
36,179 Posts
All,

My 2020 base did this and so does my 2021 CFTP, at low speeds in low gears around 1400-1700 RPM you can hear what sounds like a rattle coming from the center of the car, its slight, but definitely there. It actually sounds like its coming from the outside (engine trans area), but I've tried to hear it with wife driving the car and me jogging along side and cannot hear it from the outside. Have any of you heard this and know what it is? Its not the rattle that comes from the driver side lower left interior panel, that's a different one lol.
Moved your thread here to our problems area.

Why would you ever drive this car at low speeds...?😎

On a more serious note, get under the car and check the removable metal heat shield by the transmission. Other than that, chalk it up to race car sounds.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Moved your thread here to our problems area.

Why would you ever drive this car at low speeds...?😎

On a more serious note, get under the car and check the removable metal heat shield by the transmission. Other than that, chalk it up to race car sounds.
Thank you and yeah, no low speeds haha!!

·
Super Moderator
2021 GT500 Iconic Silver
5,741 Posts
Hey Colin. Is it a rattle? Maybe a clicking? Wasn't sure if you saw this thread. Long shot but wanted to make sure you saw it just in case.

Reactions: superchargedaz

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hey Colin. Is it a rattle? Maybe a clicking? Wasn't sure if you saw this thread. Long shot but wanted to make sure you saw it just in case.

Thanks!

·
Registered
2021 GT500 CFTP
64 Posts
Hey Colin,

I think I know exactly what you mean. My hearing is a little too sharp when it comes to rattles in cars.

I thought my 2021 CFTP was rattle prone and I initially thought that noise you described was a loose heat shield or something. I felt taped the engine bay where all of the plastic clips are. Nothing.

That being said… I wonder if it’s just the nature of the car. The “rattle” for me at least isn’t an obnoxious “ticking” type rattle you hear from interior components but more of a hesitation/ clutch about to stall/ exhaust rattle…it’s not as extreme as a clutch about to stall… can’t put my finger on it.

Anyways, I just “convinced” myself that it might just be the nature of the car. No way in hell would I leave a dealer tech to trial and error the issue.

if it makes you feel better, I have it too- maybe it’s common.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Hey Colin,

I think I know exactly what you mean. My hearing is a little too sharp when it comes to rattles in cars.

I thought my 2021 CFTP was rattle prone and I initially thought that noise you described was a loose heat shield or something. I felt taped the engine bay where all of the plastic clips are. Nothing.

That being said… I wonder if it’s just the nature of the car. The “rattle” for me at least isn’t an obnoxious “ticking” type rattle you hear from interior components but more of a hesitation/ clutch about to stall/ exhaust rattle…it’s not as extreme as a clutch about to stall… can’t put my finger on it.

Anyways, I just “convinced” myself that it might just be the nature of the car. No way in hell would I leave a dealer tech to trial and error the issue.

if it makes you feel better, I have it too- maybe it’s common.
Hey Dave,

This is so helpful, thank you. I have to agree with you. It sounds exactly like a light heat shield rattle, but I think it might be the clutch controls or something like that. Now that I've had two GT500's with the exact same rattle in the exact same speed and rpm ranges, I'm far less concerned.

I could not find a source either and it's actually something I am unable to hear from outside of the car.

But yes it's very minor and you have to be listening to hear it. Probably normal for these. Appreciate the reply!

·
Registered
2021 GT500 CFTP
64 Posts
Every single car I owned had some kind of annoying rattle(s)… except for the 2 times I owned a Lexus!

·
Registered
2021 GT500 Carbonized Gray
13 Posts
All,

Mine does this as well. Only at very slow speeds…a distinct rattle. I’m glad to hear that this seems common and equally glad you can’t hear that same noise from the outside.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Mine does this as well. Only at very slow speeds…a distinct rattle. I’m glad to hear that this seems common and equally glad you can’t hear that same noise from the outside.
OK definitely convinced its normal now!

·
Registered
2018 GT350
2,372 Posts
I believe there are numerous threads on GTR forums about similar noises with their dual clutch transmissions at low speeds. The noise comes more from the rear on them as the transaxle is located in the rear for better weight balance. From my understanding most of this is just normal dual clutch noises in much the same way that the 2007-2014 GT500's can have a little extra noise at idle from their twin disc clutches vs a single disc clutch setup.

Reactions: superchargedaz

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I believe there are numerous threads on GTR forums about similar noises with their dual clutch transmissions at low speeds. The noise comes more from the rear on them as the transaxle is located in the rear for better weight balance. From my understanding most of this is just normal dual clutch noises in much the same way that the 2007-2014 GT500's can have a little extra noise at idle from their twin disc clutches vs a single disc clutch setup.

I had wondered if it might be the clutch because that's exactly where the noise is coming from and all the heat shields are tight. It does seem to occur only in lower gears and only at the start of throttle application at those speeds, that makes sense as the clutch would probably be partially engaged. Really appreciate you attaching those comments!

·
Registered
2020 GT500 Velocity blue
17 Posts
All,

Mine is doing something simmilar but most noticable going into 3rd gear and it is only for a breif seconds. Dealer service advisor and tech want to replace the DCT. Ford is saying wait up and emailed them they want a recording of the noise. Service department manager said the other day ford needs to send an engeneer to us in CA. Maybe someone from Tremec too. No performence is suffering and I do not hear it in sport or track mode. Only in normal. And since day one. I have 2500 mi on it now and daily it. is this sounding similar?

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Mine is doing something simmilar but most noticable going into 3rd gear and it is only for a breif seconds. Dealer service advisor and tech want to replace the DCT. Ford is saying wait up and emailed them they want a recording of the noise. Service department manager said the other day ford needs to send an engeneer to us in CA. Maybe someone from Tremec too. No performence is suffering and I do not hear it in sport or track mode. Only in normal. And since day one. I have 2500 mi on it now and daily it. is this sounding similar?
Somewhat similar, mine definitely does it in sport mode and it's usually only in low gears. I'll have to try track mode because the shift rpm is so much higher and I feel like that would prevent the noise because it's only happening at a low rpm. I've tried to record it, but doesn't come out very clear. The fact hat both my 500s did it make me feel like it's a normal part of this DCT. I'm afraid to bring it in and have the dealer digging around unless I know something is wrong. Would be disappointing to get a new DCT only to have the same issue. Would be curious to hear how your situation goes though. I would think they would have a bulletin or something by now considering how common it seems to be.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts