Ford Shelby GT500 Forum banner

21 - 40 of 41 Posts

·
Super Moderator
5,099 Posts
I'm a car guy who has the disposable income, but I will NEVER pay more than MSRP for ANY vehicle. If I wanted one of these, I'd wait for all the idiots to sate profiteering dealers and get one when prices descend from the stratosphere. (That ADM easily funds many other priorities.) Since I have no desire for one of these, I'm awaiting delivery of the new Z06 that I got optioned the way I want (no Golden Ticket required), for thousands under MSRP (no ADM paid), expected within the next week. I don't have a Garage Mahal, but the new toy will fit nicely, tucked-in above/below the Shelby.
It's a free country, which is a great thing, so dealers can price them as they choose and buyers can choose to pay or not pay. That being said, I'm with you Norton on this. I'll wait it out.

Congrats on your Z06! Share some pics when you can. Man, a Z06 and a GT500 -- the best of both worlds!!! (y) (y) (y)

·
Registered
2013 Shelby GT500 Coupe, Triple Black
1,639 Posts
I don’t think we’re in the same disposable income range Norton. I said fu levels of money.

The range I would need to be in to pay that price are the same ones of guys that have garages full of cars. You may have the money to afford it Norton, but I’ve never seen you post anything that would suggest your income is at a true disposable level, no offense.
No offense taken, but I think you misunderstand.

You said "If I had the disposable income, I would buy [a 2020 GT500 for $156K]." I said, "I'm a car guy who has the disposable income..." I never claimed to have "F-you money," but I certainly could have bought a new GT500, including this one. I simply don't want one.

Squandering $156K on a car that's worth 1/2 to 2/3 of that pie-in-the-sky price is stupid, not matter how much money one has. I'd spend the difference on something else I want or donate it charity and take it as a write-off. One doesn't need "F-you money" to figure this out.

...a Z06 and a GT500 -- the best of both worlds!!! (y) (y) (y)
My thoughts, exactly!

·
Premium Member
2019 GT350R FPB
2,548 Posts
No offense taken, but I think you misunderstand.

You said "If I had the disposable income, I would buy [a 2020 GT500 for $156K]." I said, "I'm a car guy who has the disposable income..." I never claimed to have "F-you money," but I certainly could have bought a new GT500, including this one. I simply don't want one.

Squandering $156K on a car that's worth 1/2 to 2/3 of that pie-in-the-sky price is stupid, not matter how much money one has. I'd spend the difference on something else I want or donate it charity and take it as a write-off. One doesn't need "F-you money" to figure this out.

My thoughts, exactly!
No misunderstanding whatsoever. My disposable income levels and views are different than yours. Does that make me stupid? I dare say it doesn’t. So who should be offended now?

·
Premium Member
2007 GT500 Torch Red/White custom
1,020 Posts
It is all relative. Here is a take I heard on ones perception of money. Let's say you have two fellas. One makes $100,000 a year and the other makes $1,000,000 a year. They both go out to the same restaurant and spend $100. To the fella who makes 100k it feels like he is spending $100. To the fella who makes 1 million it feels like $10. This obviously makes his lifestyle different.

Joe

·
Registered
2013 Shelby GT500 Coupe, Triple Black
1,639 Posts
No misunderstanding whatsoever. My disposable income levels and views are different than yours. Does that make me stupid? I dare say it doesn’t. So who should be offended now?
Apologies for invading your safe space.

·
Moderator/Admin Dude!
2020 Rapid Red/black 2011 Kona Blue/white
30,373 Posts
Discussion Starter #31
156k is crazy.. my work has an allocation (thats unspoken for) for 10k above sticker. Couldnt imagine paying 156k.
Welcome to the forum! Thanks for engaging in the conversation.

You’ll find our new member area here:

·
Registered
2013 Mustang GT Deep Impact Blue. 1962 Mercury Monterey Desert Frost 390/300hp
137 Posts
I stumbled across this on market place. Cool clock!
Mike

·
Premium Member
2014 Ruby Red Metallic w/White racing stripes
356 Posts
I figure there are cars that cost as much or more that cannot do as much as this Shelby. Now as a teacher I could teach for the next several years, not pay one bill, never eat, become homeless, and divorced and then I could afford to rent one in Vegas some day.

However, if I had the money to spend on a car of this value, why not? It is a rare item, brings happiness to those who are as obsessed as some of us and honestly, it is a beautiful car that is going to compete with a lot of exotics for a lot less.

I was over the moon to be able to get my '14, which I hopefully am getting back today after filing a claim the 24th of October. It has been too long since I have seen may baby. I cannot imagine what it is like for those of you waiting to get a new one. I hope everyone enjoys their new ride!

·
Moderator/Admin Dude!
30,373 Posts
Discussion Starter #34
I figure there are cars that cost as much or more that cannot do as much as this Shelby. Now as a teacher I could teach for the next several years, not pay one bill, never eat, become homeless, and divorced and then I could afford to rent one in Vegas some day.

However, if I had the money to spend on a car of this value, why not? It is a rare item, brings happiness to those who are as obsessed as some of us and honestly, it is a beautiful car that is going to compete with a lot of exotics for a lot less.

I was over the moon to be able to get my '14, which I hopefully am getting back today after filing a claim the 24th of October. It has been too long since I have seen may baby. I cannot imagine what it is like for those of you waiting to get a new one. I hope everyone enjoys their new ride!
Your 2014 is an amazing and beautiful car Dave! There are always nicer/newer “toys” that get attention, but at some point we have to be satisfied with the toy we have. I did this with my 2011 when the 13/14s came out and I’m still doing this with my 2010 F150 with all of the new shiny trucks that have followed. You have one hell of a machine you can take out for fun... you are a fortunate guy!

·
Premium Member
356 Posts
Your 2014 is an amazing and beautiful car Dave! There are always nicer/newer “toys” that get attention, but at some point we have to be satisfied with the toy we have. I did this with my 2011 when the 13/14s came out and I’m still doing this with my 2010 F150 with all of the new shiny trucks that have followed. You have one hell of a machine you can take out for fun... you are a fortunate guy!
oh absolutely agreed! The fact it was in an "accident" now allows me to not worry about the collectibility value and all of that crap. Now I can drive it like I stole it and just have fun w/o worry. I love the car, color, and the fact that I have students who want to know more about it and now know what a Shelby is...not a Cobra. :)

I truly hope to give the car to my son some day (he is 7 so I have some time with it) and will be honest, Tim seeing you working with your son on changing oil for the first time and all of that you posted some time ago was a dream I have. Not to change oil with your son, but mine some day. I am beyond fortunate to have gotten my '14 and know it was literally the perfect car for me.

·
Premium Member
6,573 Posts
1. It's a free country, and a free-market. So dealers are free to ask anything they want..

2. I believe any dealer that acts THIS predatory with pricing, self-inflicts damage to their own reputation, to a degree that the lousy $75K they're trying to score on one transaction PALES in comparison to the the dollar-value of the "hit" their reputation takes in being ballsy/slimy/greedy enough to attempt such shenanigans. Word travels fast, and would you want to buy a new Mustang GT, or F150, from a dealership that so blatantly communicates to the world "we'll squeeze this puppy for every penny we can get!!". That attitude on the halo cars, spills down upon everything else... I'd be very skeptical that I would get a "fair shake" buying a normal vehicle from a dealer who's willing to make such a bold and (frankly) vulgar swing-for-the-fences on a new GT500. The appearances of it all... Is absolutely HORRENDOUS brand-marketing and image-marketing. It makes you look like your dealership specializes in catering to the wealthy and the ignorant (sometimes being both).

3. A 2007-2014 GT500 with a bunch of mods does NOT equate, or have a damn thing to do really, with the new 2020 GT500. Two completely different cars. Your 2013 GT500 could be making 1,000 damn horsepower, but it's still nothing in comparison. And as a 2011 owner, I'm fine with it, I like my old girl, but I don't pretend she's in any league with the 2020.

·
Premium Member
356 Posts
I remember when the first Hellcats were being sold for double the money. The dealers were told if they went too far, say above $10k, they would black ball them from SRT cars on their lot.

dont know if that actually ever happened, but it did provide a giggle when I mentioned it to a local MOPAR dealer and they quickly said they could “work with me,” if I was serious.

So I have a Shelby instead. 😂

·
Registered
6,946 Posts
If you want it, here it is
Come and get it
Make your mind up fast

If you want it anytime I can give it
But you better hurry 'cause it may not last

Did I hear you say that there must be a catch?
Will you walk away from a fool and his money?

·
Moderator/Admin Dude!
30,373 Posts
Discussion Starter #39
21 - 40 of 41 Posts