Ford Shelby GT500 Forum banner

21 - 40 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
2020 Ford Mustang GT500
64 Posts
Hmm...... 🤔

I’m not convinced it’s grinding. The video could potentially distort what you actually hear/experience. However, the noise sounds rhythmic similar to an AC pump clutch.

It does make me wonder if the noise is a pump that is moving fluid through the transmission. There are several solenoids/actuators on this transmission to control fluid.

GT500 DCT Explained

I was trying to find a video I saw about a month ago where one of the guys from Ford Performance indicates that it is normal to sometimes hear the a solenoid or actuator (can’t remember which) pushing fluid.

Have you tried any sort of trouble shooting such as the following:

Do you have to be moving or will you still get the noise with it in neutral or park reving to the 1500rpm?
Does it do this in all modes? (Normal/track/etc)
Does it do this in manual mode?
Have you tried HVAC off and on?
Does the temperature matter? (Cold, not warmed up VS normal operating)
Does it go away after highway driving and/or more noticeable in town, light to light driving?

These are a few things I can think of at the moment. Next time I take mine for a drive I will see if I can hear the same type of noise.

·
Registered
2020 GT500 Blue
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
Hmm...... 🤔

I’m not convinced it’s grinding. The video could potentially distort what you actually hear/experience. However, the noise sounds rhythmic similar to an AC pump clutch.

It does make me wonder if the noise is a pump that is moving fluid through the transmission. There are several solenoids/actuators on this transmission to control fluid.

GT500 DCT Explained

I was trying to find a video I saw about a month ago where one of the guys from Ford Performance indicates that it is normal to sometimes hear the a solenoid or actuator (can’t remember which) pushing fluid.

Do you have to be moving or will you still get the noise with it in neutral or park reving to the 1500rpm?
Does it go away after highway driving and/or more noticeable in town, light to light driving?

These are a few things I can think of at the moment. Next time I take mine for a drive I will see if I can hear the same type of noise.
Have to be moving, tried it in park with nothing.
Does it in manual as well as all exhaust modes.
Does it with HVAC on or off
Happens throughout temp range
Happens at all speeds as long as its between 1200-1500 rpm

·
Registered
2020 GT500 Blue
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
Hmm...... 🤔

GT500 DCT Explained

The best way to hear it in the video is an iphone with the speakers right up to your ear.

·
Registered
2020 Ford Mustang GT500
64 Posts
The best way to hear it in the video is an iphone with the speakers right up to your ear.
Yes, this is how I was able to hear it on your first video.(y)

To my ears, it sounds rhythmic which is why I say I’m not convinced it’s grinding. I could also hear it when you were at 1,000 rpms when you panned over to your cluster. Like something is turning on and off in a cycle.

I should have been more specific, I was referring to the drive modes, not the exhaust modes.

I can let you know tomorrow if I hear something similar on mine. Maybe there will be a few others who read this that can do the same?

·
Moderator/Admin Dude!
2020 CFTP Red! 2011 Kona Blue
30,848 Posts
I can’t hear anything unusual. Not sure where you live Rex, but I recommend linking-up with another new 500 owner and going for a ride to compare noises. If you don’t know anyone local that also has one, go to a big car show... you might find one there.

Reactions: fletchffletch

·
Registered
2020 GT500 / 2016 GT350
70 Posts
Since this post is in regards to unusual car sounds, I remember my rear end making a noise at one time. Came to find out that it was the cooling system for the seats. I too could only hear it at low rpm and quiet mode.

·
Premium Member
2012/2013 Hybrid
7,157 Posts
You say you hear it between 1,200 and 1,500 rpm. Is that in every gear and have you attempted revving it to that same range in neutral and park? Have you let someone listen from outside the vehicle with drive by?

·
Super Moderator
5,017 Posts
Tough for me to hear even on my iPhone. I’m wondering if perhaps a panel is loose and there is a low RPM resonance that is causing the sound of grinding or vibration???

·
Registered
2020 GT500 Blue
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #30
I can’t hear anything unusual. Not sure where you live Rex, but I recommend linking-up with another new 500 owner and going for a ride to compare noises. If you don’t know anyone local that also has one, go to a big car show... you might find one there.
Funny enough my neighbor just brought one home yesterday so we will compare notes.

·
Registered
2020 Ford Mustang GT500
64 Posts
I was able to get mine out for a drive today. I also got a short video. I’ll see if I can figure out how I can upload here since I don’t really use any of those media sites. 🤔

If you listen closely, you should be able to hear the similar type of noise as what you experience in yours. As you state, it is difficult to hear.

Transmission Noise

In doing some more research, the best I can figure is that the electronics in the DCT are working here to control the amount of pressure in the internals and potentially anticipating a shift.

The other thing I noticed, it also sounds like the normal transmission noise I used to hear in the M6 that was in the C5 Z06 I use to have. You could hear some of the internal movement of the gears at slow speeds. Wasn’t an abnormal thing. Given that the DCT is manual based transmission I never really thought differently about the noise in the GT500....especially only being able to hear it with in quiet mode, no radio, slow metered acceleration.

I’m not an expert, just providing my thoughts.

·
Registered
2020 GT500 Blue
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #32
I was able to get mine out for a drive today. I also got a short video. I’ll see if I can figure out how I can upload here since I don’t really use any of those media sites. 🤔

If you listen closely, you should be able to hear the similar type of noise as what you experience in yours. As you state, it is difficult to hear.

Transmission Noise

In doing some more research, the best I can figure is that the electronics in the DCT are working here to control the amount of pressure in the internals and potentially anticipating a shift.

The other thing I noticed, it also sounds like the normal transmission noise I used to hear in the M6 that was in the C5 Z06 I use to have. You could hear some of the internal movement of the gears at slow speeds. Wasn’t an abnormal thing. Given that the DCT is manual based transmission I never really thought differently about the noise in the GT500....especially only being able to hear it with in quiet mode, no radio, slow metered acceleration.

I’m not an expert, just providing my thoughts.
My man, thank you! That is the exact same noise I’m hearing. I’ll sleep a little easier tonight

·
Premium Member
2020 Shelby GT500 base + handling pack
310 Posts
Tough for me to hear even on my iPhone. I’m wondering if perhaps a panel is loose and there is a low RPM resonance that is causing the sound of grinding or vibration???
Funny that --- cruising around with my wife yesterday I was getting a low RPM vibration noise --- turned out to be my phone in the door. I've done if a few times, and always forget.

·
Super Moderator
5,017 Posts
A real life example of how funny/strangely sound can travel. TODAY, I was out and about enjoying one of my rides. Came home, parked it in the garage and an hour later started it back up to go to the store for the wifely. I heard a squealing sound that I thought was coming from the front of the engine. Thought, well, crap, that's new, what is it, a belt or perhaps the harmonic balancer??? Went to store, came back home parked it and started it up about 30 minutes later to see if I could reproduce the sound. Sure enough, I heard the squeal. But this time, by luck, I had my door open when I started the car and when I heard it, it sounded like it was coming from the rear of the car! Sure enough, I got to the back, got down on the ground and pinpointed the sound. It was because the carbon fiber diffuser was rubbing on the bottom of one of the exhaust tips!!!

·
Registered
2014 GT500
527 Posts
Since this post is in regards to unusual car sounds, I remember my rear end making a noise at one time. Came to find out that it was the cooling system for the seats. I too could only hear it at low rpm and quiet mode.
My rear end also makes noise sometimes. Low RPM, high RPM, quiet mode, loud mode.....it just doesn’t matter. I’ve also noticed that my rear end makes noise even when I’m not in the car, sometimes I can hear the noise in my house. There’s often a strange smell that goes along with it.

·
Premium Member
2020 Shelby GT500 base + handling pack
310 Posts
My rear end also makes noise sometimes. Low RPM, high RPM, quiet mode, loud mode.....it just doesn’t matter. I’ve also noticed that my rear end makes noise even when I’m not in the car, sometimes I can hear the noise in my house. There’s often a strange smell that goes along with it.
😁

·
Registered
2020 GT500 / 2016 GT350
70 Posts
Ha
Haha!

·
Registered
52 Posts
It’s sounds like grinding but at the same time it doesn’t, kind of hard to explain. Can only hear it with a/c off and exhaust in quiet mode. Happens around 1200-1500 rpm through every gear. So every time I’m leaving a light it’s all I can think about. I drove the tech around with me and he could hear it but had no idea what the cause could be. I’ll try and film it tomorrow and see if it can pick up the sound. Might even throw my phone on the floor in the passenger seat where I think it would be the closest to the source. The odd part is I don’t get the sound at any other rpm range.
Quiet mode???? Who does that? Might have to try it and see if there is anything wonky.... Ah. I'll just turn up the loud peddle....

·
Registered
2020 GT500 Blue
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #39
Update: Ford said there's no problems and that's just the way these transmissions sound. Went and drove another one they had there to compare the two. Same sounds reproduced at the same RPM's so such must be the case. Thanks to all those who offered advice or ideas of what the problem could be.

21 - 40 of 43 Posts