Ford Shelby GT500 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
2020 GT500 Blue
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I’m hearing a grinding noise just behind the front seats, possibly under rear seat area. Car has 200 miles on it. I’m only hearing it in low rpms, particularly around 1500 rpm. It’s not very loud but once you hear it you can’t help but hear it whenever you take off from a stand still. Any ideas or anyone else having this problem.

·
Moderator/Admin Dude!
2020 CFTP Red! 2011 Kona Blue
30,838 Posts
I’m hearing a grinding noise just behind the front seats, possibly under rear seat area. Car has 200 miles on it. I’m only hearing it in low rpms, particularly around 1500 rpm. It’s not very loud but once you hear it you can’t help but hear it whenever you take off from a stand still. Any ideas or anyone else having this problem.
Have you looked under your car for a visual inspection? Try to record the audio and share the video here.

·
Registered
2021 GT500 CFHP
45 Posts
Possibly driveshaft related given where you’re hearing it from and only when it’s moving.

·
Premium Member
2012/2013 Hybrid
7,153 Posts
Grinding noises are never a good thing. As much as I hate dealer's touching my car, that sounds like something I'd let them discover.

·
Moderator/Admin Dude!
30,838 Posts

·
Registered
2020 GT500 Blue
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Please let us know what is found.
They thought it was a loose heat shield but after driving it home this was not the case. I drove it some more and now believe the rattle/noise to be coming from the front right of the car somewhere in the engine bay. Will keep y’all posted. May be something minor. Fingers crossed

·
Premium Member
74 76 86 89 99 05 08 10 12
249 Posts
I had a grinding noise in the front end and it was coming from the top of the strut towers. They had me come into the service area and put my hand on the top of the strut housing. I could feel the grinding when the tech turned the steering wheel. In the end it was the upper strut bearings and they replaced them under warranty.

They thought it was due to lack of use but I don't believe that. I think that the bearings were not properly lubricated from the factory. The car was 2 years old at the time with 3400 miles on it. It hasn't been an issue since. I've never heard that happening to anyone else but you might want to check for that.

·
Registered
2020 GT500 Blue
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I had a grinding noise in the front end and it was coming from the top of the strut towers. They had me come into the service area and put my hand on the top of the strut housing. I could feel the grinding when they turned the steering wheel. They were replaced under warranty. In the end it was the upper strut bearings.

They thought it was due to lack of use or some BS but I don't believe that. I've never heard of anyone else having that issue. I think it was possible that the bearings were no properly lubricated at the factory. The car was 2 years old at the time and it hasn't been an issue since. Might want to check for that.
It’s sounds like grinding but at the same time it doesn’t, kind of hard to explain. Can only hear it with a/c off and exhaust in quiet mode. Happens around 1200-1500 rpm through every gear. So every time I’m leaving a light it’s all I can think about. I drove the tech around with me and he could hear it but had no idea what the cause could be. I’ll try and film it tomorrow and see if it can pick up the sound. Might even throw my phone on the floor in the passenger seat where I think it would be the closest to the source. The odd part is I don’t get the sound at any other rpm range.

·
Super Moderator
5,013 Posts
It’s sounds like grinding but at the same time it doesn’t, kind of hard to explain. Can only hear it with a/c off and exhaust in quiet mode. Happens around 1200-1500 rpm through every gear. So every time I’m leaving a light it’s all I can think about. I drove the tech around with me and he could hear it but had no idea what the cause could be. I’ll try and film it tomorrow and see if it can pick up the sound. Might even throw my phone on the floor in the passenger seat where I think it would be the closest to the source. The odd part is I don’t get the sound at any other rpm range.
Good luck. Hope it is a minor issue. Thanks for keeping us all posted on this. (y)

Does it happen regardless of whether you are headed straight or turning?

·
Premium Member
74 76 86 89 99 05 08 10 12
249 Posts
This reminds me of a situation I had with my '93 SHO. Every once in a while I'd turn the key to start it and get nothing. I'd rock the car, bang on the starter, etc until something made it start. I had no idea what the problem was and the dealer couldn't replicate the problem because it would always start for them. It was just about out of warranty so I figured I'd worsen the problem. The next time it happened I just held the key in the start position and after about 15 seconds there was a loud POP and some smoke. The dealer came and towed it away. Turned out it was the starter itself......

My point is you might have to wait for it to get worse before it can be diagnosed. Hopefully not, but that might be the necessary evil.

·
Registered
2020 GT500 Blue
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
This reminds me of a situation I had with my '93 SHO. Every once in a while I'd turn the key to start it and get nothing. I'd rock the car, bang on the starter, etc until something made it start. I had no idea what the problem was and the dealer couldn't replicate the problem because it would always start for them. It was just about out of warranty so I figured I'd worsen the problem. The next time it happened I just held the key in the start position and after about 15 seconds there was a loud POP and some smoke. The dealer came and towed it away. Turned out it was the starter itself......

My point is you might have to wait for it to get worse before it can be diagnosed. Hopefully not, but that might be the necessary evil.
Fingers crossed such is not the case. It’s just a bummer considering it’s only got 250 miles on it.

·
Registered
2020 GT500 Blue
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #16

So here’s a link to the video.
Noise starts around the 9 second mark

·
Moderator/Admin Dude!
30,838 Posts
So here’s a link to the video.
Noise starts around the 9 second mark
Very difficult to hear on my iPad... maybe just suspension noises...? 🤷‍♂️

·
Registered
2020 GT500 Blue
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Very difficult to hear on my iPad... maybe just suspension noises...? 🤷‍♂️
Yeah I know what you mean, might be able to hear with headphones. I can hear it pretty good but i guess that’s because I know what I’m listening for.

1 - 20 of 42 Posts