Ford Shelby GT500 Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2020 GT500
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I changed my oil at 600 miles and was VERY careful or so I thought. I was noting that my oil was properly draining into my catch basin and I have a lift so it was very easy to see. Somehow, oil was diverted into the underbelly shield that the trap door was in. Apparently quite a bit of it.
I drove the car last Saturday and when at my first light I noticed smoke coming up through my hood vent (no rain shield) and a burning oil smell. I was freaked out and pulled over and checked my oil and everything was good . The smoke simmered down but the smell was bad. I immediately posted here about that.
I drove it twice since and it was better but still present.
I put it back up in the air tonight and removed the trap door to look at the filter - no leaking. I then reached up and felt around on the underbelly shield - OIL EVERYWHERE. So I was wiping it off through the trap door and realized it was not going to cut it. I needed to remove the shield and clean it properly. What a pain. Like 40 fasteners and you even have to remove the front wickers. BE Careful to make sure all oil is making it's way through the trap door and not diverting elsewhere. I'm glad I found the problem but jeez talk about a 5 hour oil change.

Attachments

·
Moderator/Admin Dude!
2020 CFTP Red! 2011 Kona Blue
33,830 Posts
Yuppers! I show this in my oil change thread:

·
Registered
2008 GT500 Convertible
154 Posts
I’m sure you’re glad you have a lift and didn’t have to do that on the ground lol

·
Registered
2011 SVTPP GT500 Convertible, Silver
348 Posts
Get one of those Fumoto valves. I use one on my Raptor because oil changes on those are notoriously messy - just hook up a hose and flip the valve.

·
Premium Member
2012 & 2021 GT500 strippers
7,629 Posts
Just make a little foil dam and toss it when done.

·
Moderator/Admin Dude!
2020 CFTP Red! 2011 Kona Blue
33,830 Posts
Reactions: fletchffletch
1 - 8 of 8 Posts