Ford Shelby GT500 Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Moderator/Admin Dude!
2020 CFTP Red! 2011 Kona Blue
35,367 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is a PSA to let the 2020 owners know what I just learned... I noticed that the first batch of cars that were delivered came with orange coolant. After the winter shutdown, the cars that were delivered in 2020 came with green (yellow) coolant. The email response is after the pictures below.

My car, which is chassis number 253, was one of the 1st hundred to be delivered came with this coolant:

Land vehicle Vehicle Car Engine Motor vehicle
Engine Vehicle Auto part Car Fuel line

A friend of mine that just recently got his car sent these pics:

Auto part Engine Vehicle Car Automotive engine part

Auto part Vehicle Engine Car

The email reply I got today:

Tim-

There was a change made for all Ford vehicles at the end of December 2019 regarding coolant. The yellow coolant-Motorcraft VC13 (not green), -has a longer service life than orange-Motorcraft VC3 (10 year/200k miles as opposed to 6 year/100k miles initial change-out) and improved corrosion resistance and resistance to deposits created within the cooling system. It is not advised to try to put VC13 in a car that was originally filled with VC3.

Both coolants are still capable, and the only real "benefit" to the change is for those who drive their cars 100k+ miles. In your scenario, I would just leave it alone and use what the car came with. As you know, there are always running changes and improvements.

Hope this helps.

Matt Korczyk
Ford Performance Info Center
Ford Performance Parts Vehicle Coordinator

Reactions: Evil_E and Buttinz

·
Registered
490 Posts
I never really gave coolant color a second though because
#1 who really even puts the miles on these cars for the color and ingredients to be a concern?
#2 you will likely drain and refill your coolant in earlier intervals anyway if you mod and maintain your car.
#3 its coolant. You can drain it all and just go to Pepboys and drain it all and put Prestone in it and work just as well in all honesty.

·
Super Moderator
2021 GT500 Iconic Silver
5,673 Posts
Good info, Tim. Maybe I missed it -- I didn't seem him comment on the longevity of the GREEN coolant.

·
#1 Mike!
2019 Shelby GT350
8,830 Posts
Tim got me motivated to check mine. It's red colored like Tim's. I thinks it's much prettier than that swamp water color! LOL!

·
Moderator/Admin Dude!
2020 CFTP Red! 2011 Kona Blue
35,367 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Good info, Tim. Maybe I missed it -- I didn't seem him comment on the longevity of the GREEN coolant.
From his email above: 10 years/200k miles.

·
Premium Member
2013 GT500 and 2020 GT500
3,934 Posts
These are from the First and Second Editions of the 2020 Mustang Owners Manuals.

Text Font Line Parallel

Reactions: Goose17
1 - 6 of 6 Posts