Ford Shelby GT500 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Moderator/Admin Dude!
2020 CFTP Rapid Red! 2011 Kona Blue/white
34,238 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
In this video, I take my 2020 Shelby GT500 CFTP out of delivery mode, reset the TPMS warning, inventory the loose items, talk about the adjustable strut top mounts, have a look at the CFTP car cover, talk about the transmission "stay in neutral" mode, remove the CFTP suspension spacers and fix the problem they caused, discover a couple of assembly line surprises, install the carbon fiber wheel locking lug nuts, install the splitter, install the splitter wickers and install the oil separator!

·
Registered
42 Posts
Great video! Also confirms I’m going with the JLT catch can, wowza that oil separator is a bear

·
Moderator/Admin Dude!
34,238 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Great video! Also confirms I’m going with the JLT catch can, wowza that oil separator is a bear
Thanks guys!

The Ford oil separator is obviously much more involved than the “click-click” JLT can, but it’s a robust self-draining unit that some very smart people engineered specifically for the car. Once it’s in, it’s a “fire and forget” missile.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Thanks guys!

The Ford oil separator is obviously much more involved than the “click-click” JLT can, but it’s a robust self-draining unit that some very smart people engineered specifically for the car. Once it’s in, it’s a “fire and forget” missile.
Where does it drain?

·
Moderator/Admin Dude!
34,238 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Where does it drain?
You see the drain plug I remove and connect a hose to in the video. The oil goes back in through the cam cover.

·
Registered
42 Posts
You see the drain plug I remove and connect a hose to in the video. The oil goes back in through the cam cover.
I kinda like dumping oil separately vs it going back into the engine. I have the JLT on my truck and it’s pretty simple to take care of.

·
Moderator/Admin Dude!
34,238 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I kinda like dumping oil separately vs it going back into the engine. I have the JLT on my truck and it’s pretty simple to take care of.
Jay Tucker from JLT claims the oil is “bad” and should be dumped. Keep in mind he is a salesman selling a product (his catch can). The oil that goes into the PCV system is the same oil that is in the crank case. The Ford unit simply routes it right back to where it came from. Like I said above, Ford has some smart engineers that developed this setup specifically for this car. It’s a nice unit.

My 2011 has the JLT cans. I dump it right back into the engine.

·
#1 Mike!
2019 Shelby GT350
9,770 Posts
Nice video, Tim!! Very informative for those who have the CFTP addition. I was tired after watching it! Fortunately, the technician installed my GT350 adjustable handling package strut top mounts and front splitter, so I was spared that work. Tim loves doing this stuff, so I understand! You're getting really competent at these video's! Next Shelbyfest we should look forward to a full length movie of our adventures!!

·
Moderator/Admin Dude!
34,238 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Nice video, Tim!! Very informative for those who have the CFTP addition. I was tired after watching it! Fortunately, the technician installed my GT350 adjustable handling package strut top mounts and front splitter, so I was spared that work. Tim loves doing this stuff, so I understand! You're getting really competent at these video's! Next Shelbyfest we should look forward to a full length movie of our adventures!!
Thanks Mike! This video will hopefully help any 2020+ GT500 owner that does some of this work themselves. All cars get the splitter and handling package/CFTP cars get the splitter wickers and oil separator. The suspension spacers and problems they cause are the only CFTP specific thing in this video.

The splitter install is covered by the dealer should you want them to install it. The wickers and oil separator are a buyer’s responsibility to install.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Jay Tucker from JLT claims the oil is “bad” and should be dumped. Keep in mind he is a salesman selling a product (his catch can). The oil that goes into the PCV system is the same oil that is in the crank case. The Ford unit simply routes it right back to where it came from. Like I said above, Ford has some smart engineers that developed this setup specifically for this car. It’s a nice unit.

My 2011 has the JLT cans. I dump it right back into the engine.
So if you use the OEM oil separater and it just recirculates the oil back into the tank... What is it separating?

·
Registered
4,615 Posts
I just watched all of it, how exciting, I love that GT500!!!

Nice video!

Tim - If you don't already have them, I use nylon protective sleeve lug nut sockets on all of my wheels, just for additional protection at the lug nut holes.

R

·
Moderator/Admin Dude!
34,238 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
So if you use the OEM oil separater and it just recirculates the oil back into the tank... What is it separating?
It separates the oil mist from the pressurized air. The oil is routed back into the crank case and the air goes back into the intake.
I just watched all of it, how exciting, I love that GT500!!!

Nice video!

Tim - If you don't already have them, I use nylon protective sleeve lug nut sockets on all of my wheels, just for additional protection at the lug nut holes.

R
Thanks Robert! I’ve never heard of those. Do you have a picture or a link?

·
Registered
4,615 Posts
Thanks Robert! I’ve never heard of those. Do you have a picture or a link?
They come in several sizes, the 3 Black impact versions shown below are original Gorilla lug nut brand sockets, I am not sure if they still offer them in the Black impact, the other is one that was sold to me a "Gorilla brand" and it came in Gorilla packaging, but it is different in appearance and length from the originals, it is also mm while the Black impacts are SAE, so maybe they farm out the metric sockets to a different vendor?

Note that the sleeve extends slightly past the metal socket, so "if" you happen to bump the end of the socket on the face of the wheel around the socket hole (or anywhere else), it is the protective sleeve that makes the contact.....

Also a disclaimer.........I do not use any mechanical tools when I am doing tire/wheel R&R, I use a breaker bar and the short extension shown, along with the correct socket for all lug nut removals and I use a torque wrench 25, 50, 75 and 100ft. lbs.in a star pattern to re-tighten so I don't take the chance of a spinning socket getting loose or touching on a wheel surface.

R

·
Moderator/Admin Dude!
34,238 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
They come in several sizes, the 3 Black impact versions shown below are original Gorilla lug nut brand sockets, I am not sure if they still offer them in the Black impact, the other is one that was sold to me a "Gorilla brand" and it came in Gorilla packaging, but it is different in appearance and length from the originals, it is also mm while the Black impacts are SAE, so maybe they farm out the metric sockets to a different vendor?

Note that the sleeve extends slightly past the metal socket, so "if" you happen to bump the end of the socket on the face of the wheel around the socket hole (or anywhere else), it is the protective sleeve that makes the contact.....

Also a disclaimer.........I do not use any mechanical tools when I am doing tire/wheel R&R, I use a breaker bar and the short extension shown, along with the correct socket for all lug nut removals and I use a torque wrench 25, 50, 75 and 100ft. lbs.in a star pattern to re-tighten so I don't take the chance of a spinning socket getting loose or touching on a wheel surface.

R
Good stuff... thanks Robert!

Interesting tidbit... the 2020 requires 150 lb-ft of torque on the lugs.

·
Registered
4,615 Posts
Good stuff... thanks Robert!

Interesting tidbit... the 2020 requires 150 lb-ft of torque on the lugs.
I believe all 2015-up Mustangs have larger wheel studs than the earlier years and the torque spec. went up with the larger size........and it may be that the BOSS and Shelby's have even larger studs, but I am not sure of that....

This is just grasping from 6+ year old memory , but it seems to me the 2015 got 14mm studs instead of the 13mm (1/2") that was 2014 and before......The lug nut holes in the wheels were also slightly enlarged for the S550. I remember a S550 owner putting Alcoa's on his car and mentioning that the fit was tight on the studs and he had to open up the holes slightly.

Also, I realized why that one protective lug nut socket in my set is odd.......Gorilla offered the SAE sockets I showed, plus a 17mm that had a Blue sleeve. I needed an 18mm for one set of lug nuts so I had to buy one that was non-Gorilla brand.

The S550 with the Alcoa's........they look Great!!

R

·
Moderator/Admin Dude!
34,238 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I believe all 2015-up Mustangs have larger wheel studs than the earlier years and the torque spec. went up with the larger size........and it may be that the BOSS and Shelby's have even larger studs, but I am not sure of that....

This is just grasping from 6+ year old memory , but it seems to me the 2015 got 14mm studs instead of the 13mm (1/2") that was 2014 and before......The lug nut holes in the wheels were also slightly enlarged for the S550. I remember a S550 owner putting Alcoa's on his car and mentioning that the fit was tight on the studs and he had to open up the holes slightly.

Also, I realized why that one protective lug nut socket in my set is odd.......Gorilla offered the SAE sockets I showed, plus a 17mm that had a Blue sleeve. I needed an 18mm for one set of lug nuts so I had to buy one that was non-Gorilla brand.

The S550 with the Alcoa's........they look Great!!

R
Those wheels do go well with the car... they match the bright trim in the grille and the Ford badge on the fenders.

This is from the 2020 GT500 Shelby supplement:

·
Registered
4,615 Posts
Those wheels do go well with the car... they match the bright trim in the grille and the Ford badge on the fenders.

This is from the 2020 GT500 Shelby supplement:

View attachment 205633
Ok, so they are still M14 as began in 2015, but the 2020 GT500 may be hardened studs also? I think Shelby Performance parts lists a wheel stud upgrade for the 2015-up.....

R

·
Moderator/Admin Dude!
34,238 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Ok, so they are still M14 as began in 2015, but the 2020 GT500 may be hardened studs also? I think Shelby Performance parts lists a wheel stud upgrade for the 2015-up.....

R
The CFTP have a one-off set designed for the car that are long and stupid expensive. Base model owners that wish to add the carbon fiber wheels must swap to longer studs for it to work.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts