Ford Shelby GT500 Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

2020 GT or 2010-2014 GT500

2007 - 2014 
8K views 38 replies 19 participants last post by  69bossnine 
#1 ·
What would your choice be between owning one of the following:

1. A new 2020 GT mustang (V8) - with aftermarket performance mods of approx 10k (plus or minus)

2. A stock preowned 2010-2014 GT500?

I'm curious to see everyone's opinion on this subject.

#2 ·
....hmmm....I wonder what members on a GT500 forum are going to respond with here...overwhelmingly? jk

I think they are both great and capable, but the GT500 is a GT500, a 5.0 will always be a 5.0 no matter what you throw on it aftermarket wise, if that makes a difference to you, go with the GT500 (so a little more prestige). Also, a 2010-2014 GT500 looks quite a bit different and has some notable mechanical differences (ie. engine / suspension / etc.) than a 2020 5.0, go with your preference there as well. Good luck!

P.S. I'd be interested in asking this question over on a 5.0 forum, see if they'd prefer a GT500 stock or their modified 5.0, that would be interesting

D3

#3 ·
Only you can decide, but some points to ponder:

Do you like exclusivity or do you not mind seeing cars just like yours everywhere? You see 2015+ 5.0s everywhere!

Will this be a fun car or more of a daily driver? For a daily driver, I’d lean towards a newer 5.0. For fun, I’d lean towards a Shelby.

Will you be hitting the twisties? The IRS in the 5.0 will be on a different level handling-wise over the SRA Shelby.

How important is modern cockpit tech to you?

In the end, they are both fabulous. If you could throw a GT350 into the decision matrix, I’d lean hard towards the 350.

Reactions: fletchffletch
#9 ·
Only you can decide, but some points to ponder:

Do you like exclusivity or do you not mind seeing cars just like yours everywhere? You see 2015+ 5.0s everywhere!

Will this be a fun car or more of a daily driver? For a daily driver, I’d lean towards a newer 5.0. For fun, I’d lean towards a Shelby.

Will you be hitting the twisties? The IRS in the 5.0 will be on a different level handling-wise over the SRA Shelby.

How important is modern cockpit tech to you?

In the end, they are both fabulous. If you could throw a GT350 into the decision matrix, I’d lean hard towards the 350.
The IRS in the new 5.0 is a bonus on the twisties (over a straight axle) for sure. The modern cockpit in a 2020 over a 2010-2014 is a bonus as well

Is the automatic trans. in GT mustang the same as the auto trans in the Gt500?

#6 ·
Whats the spend cap? I see used 2016-17 GT350's with less than 15K miles that could be had in the very low $40K range such as this 2017 1FA6P8JZ5H5522886 | 2017 Ford Mustang Shelby GT350 for sale in Wauconda, IL
Add a Whipple Gen3 3.0L S/C, supporting mods and a Tune for another $10K

If the Shelby name means little to your choice a Turn Key LFP Mustang can be had for $40K and up.

#7 ·
#13 · (Edited)
If the choice between a GT and a GT500, I would take the GT500 no questions about it. Honestly I even picked an 07 GT500 before even considering a later model S197 or S550.
Yes the S550 is a great comfortable car and does alot of great things, but they are a dime a dozen!
If this car were a daily, Id grab the GT and enjoy it. If you want a toy and something that will hold value and be different get the GT500.

GT350's are a great option as well, but i dont trust the engines. I have personal friends that have had nothing but headaches with the bottom ends on theirs not to mention all the people on Youtube as well. Ford really shit the bed with those things. Hence why they are so affordable now.

Reactions: Whitemagic1
#14 ·

1. A new 2020 GT mustang (V8) - with aftermarket performance mods of approx 10k (plus or minus)

My opinion is there is no wrong answer to this. I own a ‘13 GT and absolutely love it. Choose what works for you. Make it your car with the mods. The guys on this fort are great! They haven’t banned me for not owning a GT500...yet lol. Good luck and have fun with it.

#16 ·
Went to the discount tire today to dismount some tires. In conversation they asked from which car. I told them I had a Shelby. Guys turn to a tech. Hey this guy has a Shelby!! Secondly he goes across the shop to show me a guy that has a 03 Cobra. So he asks when are going to bring in your Shelby so we can see it?? Now ask yourself OP would you get that same reaction on that GT??

#20 ·
My first thought was that I would go with the GT. I know going in that it would NEVER have the panache that my Shelby has. No GT ever will.

With that being said, if the 2020 GT has the digital dash AND has approximately the same RWHP, it would be a very very hard choice. The same RWHP with a warranty, that would be an easy choice.

I’d love to have that tech in my car. And I’m not going to pay the ADM premium on a new 2020 GT500...

#21 ·
My first thought was that I would go with the GT. I know going in that it would NEVER have the panache that my Shelby has. No GT ever will.

With that being said, if the 2020 GT has the digital dash AND has approximately the same RWHP, it would be a very very hard choice. The same RWHP with a warranty, that would be an easy choice.

I’d love to have that tech in my car. And I’m not going to pay the ADM premium on a new 2020 GT500...
The digital dash is frigg’n awesome!

#23 ·
If it

Including the 2013-14 GT500 makes this an easy decision.

I'd take the SHELBY as the 13-14 Snake it really the Ultimate S197 with big power, some Track Apps and as refined as the S197 got, has a very rare UNICORN Engine and the exclusivity of SHELBY.

2020 S550s are very, very, nice, capable cars, especially the PP2 Cars, but they are EVERYWHERE, tough to stand out with one.

#26 · (Edited)
@Cobra4me and @Rjstevens

Hey guys,
Cobra4me said "So he asks when are going to bring in your Shelby so we can see it"? This is what I was referring to. It was a like "well what did you say"? question that didn't get answered. ;)

#27 ·
I think the guys have covered it pretty well here. My mind goes to is a daily driver or a weekend toy, preference for auto vs. rowing the gears, IRS vs. SRA, and one of a million vs. one of a few. Let us know where you land on your decision. Good luck!

#34 ·

I own a 2012 GT500 I recently purchased from the original owner who needed a hip replacement. I would have gone for the 2020 GT ! After driving a Shelby GT350 and a GT both felt under powered ! I’m completely happy with the purchase I made. Give the 2011-14 GT500 a test drive before spending all that money $$$$.

#35 ·
Welcome to the forum! If you are up for introducing yourself and showing us your ride, you’ll find our new member area here:

#37 ·
Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.