Ford Shelby GT500 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What would your choice be between owning one of the following:

1. A new 2020 GT mustang (V8) - with aftermarket performance mods of approx 10k (plus or minus)

2. A stock preowned 2010-2014 GT500?

I'm curious to see everyone's opinion on this subject.

·
Registered
301 Posts
....hmmm....I wonder what members on a GT500 forum are going to respond with here...overwhelmingly? jk

I think they are both great and capable, but the GT500 is a GT500, a 5.0 will always be a 5.0 no matter what you throw on it aftermarket wise, if that makes a difference to you, go with the GT500 (so a little more prestige). Also, a 2010-2014 GT500 looks quite a bit different and has some notable mechanical differences (ie. engine / suspension / etc.) than a 2020 5.0, go with your preference there as well. Good luck!

P.S. I'd be interested in asking this question over on a 5.0 forum, see if they'd prefer a GT500 stock or their modified 5.0, that would be interesting

D3

·
Moderator/Admin Dude!
2020 Rapid Red/black 2011 Kona Blue/white
30,360 Posts
Only you can decide, but some points to ponder:

Do you like exclusivity or do you not mind seeing cars just like yours everywhere? You see 2015+ 5.0s everywhere!

Will this be a fun car or more of a daily driver? For a daily driver, I’d lean towards a newer 5.0. For fun, I’d lean towards a Shelby.

Will you be hitting the twisties? The IRS in the 5.0 will be on a different level handling-wise over the SRA Shelby.

How important is modern cockpit tech to you?

In the end, they are both fabulous. If you could throw a GT350 into the decision matrix, I’d lean hard towards the 350.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Whats the spend cap? I see used 2016-17 GT350's with less than 15K miles that could be had in the very low $40K range such as this 2017 1FA6P8JZ5H5522886 | 2017 Ford Mustang Shelby GT350 for sale in Wauconda, IL
Add a Whipple Gen3 3.0L S/C, supporting mods and a Tune for another $10K

If the Shelby name means little to your choice a Turn Key LFP Mustang can be had for $40K and up.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #7

·
Moderator/Admin Dude!
30,360 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Only you can decide, but some points to ponder:

Do you like exclusivity or do you not mind seeing cars just like yours everywhere? You see 2015+ 5.0s everywhere!

Will this be a fun car or more of a daily driver? For a daily driver, I’d lean towards a newer 5.0. For fun, I’d lean towards a Shelby.

Will you be hitting the twisties? The IRS in the 5.0 will be on a different level handling-wise over the SRA Shelby.

How important is modern cockpit tech to you?

In the end, they are both fabulous. If you could throw a GT350 into the decision matrix, I’d lean hard towards the 350.
The IRS in the new 5.0 is a bonus on the twisties (over a straight axle) for sure. The modern cockpit in a 2020 over a 2010-2014 is a bonus as well

Is the automatic trans. in GT mustang the same as the auto trans in the Gt500?

·
Moderator/Admin Dude!
30,360 Posts
The IRS in the new 5.0 is a bonus on the twisties (over a straight axle) for sure. The modern cockpit in a 2020 over a 2010-2014 is a bonus as well

Nope! The trans in the GT500 is not an auto... it’s an automated manual DCT that was designed specifically for the GT500.

Here are some GT350s near you:

·
Moderator/Admin Dude!
30,360 Posts
A bit more on this...

The 2020 DCT is an engineering marvel. I have driven automatics before and this is a completely different experience. When driving aggressively and/or in Track or Drag Modes, the shifts hit fabulously hard and happen lightning quick. I also find paddle shifting fun as hell, an experience you don’t get in an automatic. The DCT essentially “power shifts,” meaning spark/fuel are not cut during shifts and the engine rotating mass hits you with a bump from behind when you hit the next gear. It’s a neat experience.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
A bit more on this...

The 2020 DCT is an engineering marvel. I have driven automatics before and this is a completely different experience. When driving aggressively and/or in Track or Drag Modes, the shifts hit fabulously hard and happen lightning quick. I also find paddle shifting fun as hell, an experience you don’t get in an automatic. The DCT essentially “power shifts,” meaning spark/fuel are not cut during shifts and the engine rotating mass hits you with a bump from behind when you hit the next gear. It’s a neat experience.
Interesting...I did not know this about the GT500 trans.

·
Registered
94 Posts
If the choice between a GT and a GT500, I would take the GT500 no questions about it. Honestly I even picked an 07 GT500 before even considering a later model S197 or S550.
Yes the S550 is a great comfortable car and does alot of great things, but they are a dime a dozen!
If this car were a daily, Id grab the GT and enjoy it. If you want a toy and something that will hold value and be different get the GT500.

GT350's are a great option as well, but i dont trust the engines. I have personal friends that have had nothing but headaches with the bottom ends on theirs not to mention all the people on Youtube as well. Ford really shit the bed with those things. Hence why they are so affordable now.

·
Registered
2013 Mustang GT Deep Impact Blue. 1962 Mercury Monterey Desert Frost 390/300hp
135 Posts
What would your choice be between owning one of the following:

1. A new 2020 GT mustang (V8) - with aftermarket performance mods of approx 10k (plus or minus)

2. A stock preowned 2010-2014 GT500?

I'm curious to see everyone's opinion on this subject.
My opinion is there is no wrong answer to this. I own a ‘13 GT and absolutely love it. Choose what works for you. Make it your car with the mods. The guys on this fort are great! They haven’t banned me for not owning a GT500...yet lol. Good luck and have fun with it.

·
Registered
2009 Shelby GT500 Vista Blue/White Stripes
267 Posts
My opinion is there is no wrong answer to this. I own a ‘13 GT and absolutely love it. Choose what works for you. Make it your car with the mods. The guys on this fort are great! They haven’t banned me for not owning a GT500...yet lol. Good luck and have fun with it.
Now your gonna get it. 😜

·
Premium Member
2014 Ruby Red Shelby GT500
314 Posts
Went to the discount tire today to dismount some tires. In conversation they asked from which car. I told them I had a Shelby. Guys turn to a tech. Hey this guy has a Shelby!! Secondly he goes across the shop to show me a guy that has a 03 Cobra. So he asks when are going to bring in your Shelby so we can see it?? Now ask yourself OP would you get that same reaction on that GT??

·
Registered
2009 Shelby GT500 Vista Blue/White Stripes
267 Posts
Went to the discount tire today to dismount some tires. In conversation they asked from which car. I told them I had a Shelby. Guys turn to a tech. Hey this guy has a Shelby!! Secondly he goes across the shop to show me a guy that has a 03 Cobra. So he asks when are going to bring in your Shelby so we can see it?? Now ask yourself OP would you get that same reaction on that GT??
Well?

·
Registered
94 Posts
EXACTLY!!! Same thing happened to me at the dealer last week. They were all over my nuts and like begged me to come to their cars and coffee coming up and wanted to Showcase some Shelby cars.
You wont ever get that with a GT

·
Registered
156 Posts
My first thought was that I would go with the GT. I know going in that it would NEVER have the panache that my Shelby has. No GT ever will.

With that being said, if the 2020 GT has the digital dash AND has approximately the same RWHP, it would be a very very hard choice. The same RWHP with a warranty, that would be an easy choice.

I’d love to have that tech in my car. And I’m not going to pay the ADM premium on a new 2020 GT500...

1 - 20 of 39 Posts