Votes: 4 80.0%
  • Aftermarket

Votes: 1 20.0%
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Premium Member
221 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looking for aftermarket air filter for 2020 GT 500. I like non oil type blue any suggestions or should I get OEM. Car is 1 year old only 900 miles. Would love to get list of all filters both OEM and aftermarket. Maybe too early to change?

·
Moderator/Admin Dude!
2020 CFTP Red! 2011 Kona Blue
35,367 Posts
Looking for aftermarket air filter for 2020 GT 500. I like non oil type blue any suggestions or should I get OEM. Car is 1 year old only 900 miles. Would love to get list of all filters both OEM and aftermarket. Maybe too early to change?
At 900 miles, you should not need to change your filter... unless you live on a dirt road and follow closely behind vehicles.

If you do replace the filter, I personally see no need to use anything other than Ford’s filter unless you are going to do an intake mod.

·
Premium Member
221 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Awesome. I think I’m good other than a desire to rock on down the road! Be nice to have an enthusiasts list of maintenance activities vs. Ford’s. I’ve also heard many comments on oil change which I guess I should be doing soon due to age. Thanks as always!

·
Moderator/Admin Dude!
35,367 Posts
Awesome. I think I’m good other than a desire to rock on down the road! Be nice to have an enthusiasts list of maintenance activities vs. Ford’s. I’ve also heard many comments on oil change which I guess I should be doing soon due to age. Thanks as always!
I did my first oil change at 1000 miles. This isn’t called for in the manual, just something I chose to do. For recurring oil changes, no need to do them prior to the oil life counter popping up and letting you know it’s time. The exception would be track use. I have been changing oil after every other track day.

·
Premium Member
221 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the info. Personal experiences so very important in what to do. I think my oil countdown says 17% so while not track use little adventure trips outside the boarder clearly has had an impact. An elderly farmer (who knows if it has any relevance) always told me 30 years ago to change oil in cars, trucks tractors every 2000 miles to make an engine last. Thanks as always for your to the point info.

·
Moderator/Admin Dude!
35,367 Posts
Thanks for the info. Personal experiences so very important in what to do. I think my oil countdown says 17% so while not track use little adventure trips outside the boarder clearly has had an impact. An elderly farmer (who knows if it has any relevance) always told me 30 years ago to change oil in cars, trucks tractors every 2000 miles to make an engine last. Thanks as always for your to the point info.
Oil has come a long way in the last 30 years. You can always change it before the required time, but you’ll be draining-out good oil.

·
Premium Member
221 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
So true. I think many oil changes happen as a method to make sure it doesn’t get low. I’ve seen comments back and forth but what do you use what manufacturer says? My son claims most Ford dealers use one type of oil
And never same as manual; just a “cheap” bulk oil.

·
Moderator/Admin Dude!
35,367 Posts
So true. I think many oil changes happen as a method to make sure it doesn’t get low. I’ve seen comments back and forth but what do you use what manufacturer says? My son claims most Ford dealers use one type of oil
And never same as manual; just a “cheap” bulk oil.
I use Castrol in my 2011. For the 2020, I use the Motorcraft oil while it’s in the warranty period.

·
Registered
2013 Shelby GT500
1,196 Posts
As for the air filter.... I used to be really faithful to install a new K & N air filter element. It would perform well on my 1986 and 1989 Mustang GT. BUT.... when it came to my new 2007 Mustang GT, I wasn't aware that the oil weeping off the new K & N filter, would eventually mess up the throttle body sensors. I had to replace the throttle body eventually. At that point, the tech told me NOT to use a K & N. Now, for the Shelby, it will be only OEM air filters.

·
Super Moderator
2021 GT500 Iconic Silver
5,673 Posts
As for the air filter.... I used to be really faithful to install a new K & N air filter element. It would perform well on my 1986 and 1989 Mustang Gas. BUT.... when it came to my new 2007 Mustang GT, I wasn't aware that the oil weeping off the new K & N filter, would eventually mess up the throttle body sensors. I had to replace the throttle body eventually. At that point, the tech told me NOT to use a K & N. Now, for the Shelby, it will be only OEM air filters.
^^^ this . I'll be sticking w/ OEM dry. Oiled filters can be good but one has to be careful not to overoil them -- easier said than done so I'll just stick w/ dry -- easy peazy.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts