Ford Shelby GT500 Forum banner

2020+ base owners that wish to add CFTP wheels

2020+ 
10K views 54 replies 13 participants last post by  Goose17 
#1 · (Edited)
For base owners that wish to add the carbon fiber (Carbon Revolutions) wheels found on the CFTP car, note this is not a simple bolt-up swap. The hubs on the CF wheels are thicker than the aluminum wheels on the base cars and therefore the CFTP cars have longer wheel studs. To successfully do this swap, you’ll need to either swap out your base spindles/hubs for the CFTP versions or “plan B” would be to press out your shorter studs and use the longer CFTP studs. I shared this info with Ken from Palm Beach Dyno... he acquired some CF wheels for his base car. He tracked down the CFTP wheel studs (pictured below), but he couldn’t find enough in stock to do the swap. He ended up buying longer ARP studs and then cutting them to size and was able to successfully mount his CF wheels on his base car. He sent me these pics though in case someone wants the OEM studs found on the CFTP car. He said the longer studs were the “B” studs, which he believes are for the front. Thanks to Ken for sending these pics! (Edit: go to post #22 for tool needed)

Plastic wrap Transparency Plastic Glass Transparent material

Auto part

Edit to add video:

See less See more
1 3
#5 ·
A FB friend tracked down the bolts at a dealer. He said the retail price plus tax is $1061. I recommended he contact AutoNation Ford in White Bear Lake to compare their cost +10% price:

Reactions: CollectedDust
#7 ·
Looking at his invoice above, he spent $665.70. He reported that retail price was $1061. He was happy to actually get his hands on a full set of the CFTP studs... they have proven to be elusive. Ken from PBD was only able to locate 7 of each.

#9 ·
You don’t want to know what he paid for the carbon fiber wheels then. Everyone’s financial situation is different. While you might need said mental evaluation for spending that kind of $, I can assure you he does not. He was quite happy to secure a set of CF wheels and the hardware to make it happen.

#11 ·
Awesome! 🤟 It’s going to be a nice setup.

Hopefully this info helped you.

#13 ·
Helpful info. 🙄

This thread was created because people have reached out to me that wish to add the OE CF wheels to their base cars. What they didn’t know is it is not a simple “bolt-up.” Wheel studs need to be swapped out or the spindles/hubs need to be swapped. I am providing this info to help others. If you have anything of value to add for those wishing to do the swap, please list it here. Your opinion on the expensive wheels and studs is reminiscent of your opinion on the Ford GT that has been priced above your acceptable level.

#15 ·
This latest bashing of prices comes from a history of you bashing prices and people that pay the prices here on the forum. I am not taking this “personal.” This is a thread designed to help those with base 2020s seeking to add CF wheels. Not sure why you feel the need to jump in with your unsolicited opinion since you will not be buying a 2020 GT500 or CF wheels. If you have something beneficial to add to this thread, please post it. Otherwise move along as this does not apply to you.

#17 ·
i agree $1K for wheel studs is crazy.
buy a set of ARP and spend the extra on other things. then again they are probably longer than the OEM ones so you would have to buy different lug nuts for them to work.
but if you want to spend $15K+ for 4 wheels what's another $1K on the correct wheel studs to use the proper lug nuts..

#20 ·
From FB:

Automotive design Font Table Automotive exterior Auto part
Land vehicle Alloy wheel Vehicle Wheel Rim
Auto part Engine Vehicle Tire Automotive wheel system

Reactions: DKnight
#21 ·
Very good summary and information except for “Mr. Price is Wrong.” Ha ha. Tim you are damn diplomatic. Isn’t those rants some type of possible joking intended interference with air crew? Hell yes I want the right parts and this is a big boys game for sure. Thanks as always for your informative content. We owe you a lot for all the work you do to give us excellent and correct info!!

#22 ·
Just saw this on FB:

Automotive tire Light Motor vehicle Saw Vehicle brake
Automotive tire Wheel Font Rim Auto part
Thanks

Reactions: DKnight
#24 ·
You would have to use open lug nuts or find longer lug nuts that work. Are you interested in selling your CF wheels?

#26 ·
$10k to $15k would be my assessment. I am not a buyer as I have a third set coming to me this week. I have friends that are potential buyers though, depending on price.

Reactions: BCPD199
#28 ·
Not sure Jim, but from this video I made awhile back, it sounds like the rear studs are a 1/2” shorter. Skip to 11:16 to see:

Reactions: BCPD199
#29 ·
I am in the process of putting Signature rims on and you will need to use open lug nuts or change the studs, front and rears to standard Mustang studs. Attempted to install rear wheels and studs were too long. Yesterday I ordered 2" open ended lug nuts from Summit Racing, This was the easiest method to replace. I considered changing studs but I am keeping the CF wheels and didn't want to reverse the process if or when I sell the car or want to put it back to original.

#30 ·
Thanks for the first hand info Mr. Ghost! 🍻

#32 ·
Jim,
Summitracing.com
Gorilla Automotive
P/N 45048-20
Chrome open ended lug nuts

If you want the same lug nut in black
P/N 45048BC-20

Did some research last night and there may be another option. Terrance, from Signature Wheels will have available in about a month Titanium lug nuts that will be a custom size to fit the front and rear wheels. It appears these nuts can be powder coated. I've never had anything powder coated so I don't know what they will look like. Also, the complete set is about $475.00.

Rich

#34 ·
Just a quick update...I just ordered a front set of titanium wheel lugs from Signature wheel. I should have them next week. I will then try to figure out a solution the lug dilemma when replacing the CF wheels. I should have measured the stud length when I tried put the rear wheel on and found out, to my dismay, that the I needed different lugs. I will also take the lugs to the "wheel guy" to see what process is needed to match the lug nut color to my wheel. I've confirmed from several sources that powder coating is not the answer because it is too brittle. Stay tuned.

Rich

#35 ·
Thanks for the update Rich!

#39 ·
I sent a message to the guy that snapped the picture. He said the long stud is a front CFTP stud and the short one is a front stud from a base model.

#40 ·
He just sent this picture of the rear:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.