Ford Shelby GT500 Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought a 2007 GT500 in 2018. It was a steal in my opinion, with it's performance white and blue stripes, it took me back to 2007 when I was only 15 and I saw the commercial of the GT500 on the Autobahn. I finally got one, with only 5500 miles, stock suspension, a pulley, tune, Borla Tourings, CAI and SCT Tune making a stout 555 RWHP. I paid $31,500.

Fast forward to 2020, I see the 2019 BULLITTs still sitting on the lots. I have had 2 2001 BULLITTs and a one 2008. I've always loved the green paint and the subtle upgrades such as exhaust, handling and 1968 Mustang cues. I preferred my 2001 Bullitt over my 2003 Mach 1 I once had. I believe with the few things Ford does with the Bullitt, it's worth the extra money over a GT. I hated the Mustang redesign in 2015 (It's a Ford Edge with a V8- I don't care what you say). However, the Bullitt does really look good. I decided to explore further and go to a dealer with my GT500.

Dealer owner comes out and looks at my car and I can tell he's looking for flaws but couldn't find one. The dealer had a 2003 Cobra sitting out back, which belonged to the owner. Seeing my GT500 beside the 2019 Bullitt you can definitely see the sparkle of the green paint come out. I take the Bullitt out for a test run and these are my impressions.

I HATE and LOVE the Recaros. I am 6'1 and 220 pounds. They are very high quality and compared to the Boss 302 and 2012 GT500 Recaros I've sat in before, these are much better. However, I felt very tight. They also did not come with heated/cool seats (which I don't care about) but it also loses the electronics too so for an additional $1600, I feel like you lose more than gain. I also noticed how damn many electronics there are. Way too much crap. I felt like I was driving a green computer. The interior was very high quality, Ford has definitely fixed many interior issues of the past.

Driving down 522 in Virginia, this car is probably the best sounding factory car I've heard. The shifter was just as good as my old 2011 GT500 with a MGW shifter. It didn't feel that fast (as compared to my GT500) but it was still quick. A 2018 GT rolled by and revved his engine so I of course had to rev back. Man it sounds good. I also noticed the rev matching, which is good and bad. I feel like I have more control in my GT500 when it comes to shifting gears but rev matching is easier.

The biggest difference, handing. I had a full 5 thousand dollar suspension kit on my 2011 GT500 and this Bullitt is better. It had the optional Magnaride and man it was nice. It's the nicest driving Mustang I've ever been in. I was not used to the transmission and actually stalled it on the way back to the dealer though. Reverse is weird and the clutch is extremely soft compared to my leg press GT500 clutch.

I pulled in to the dealer and somebody had actually asked if my GT500 was for sale while I was gone. While the dealer was running numbers, I took the salesman out in my GT500. I said, "Do you want to know what real power feels like?" We took it out and I pushed it to the limits. He screamed like if on a roller coaster. I had that engine screaming. I even let out a WHOOAA ! ! He laughed and laughed, something we didn't experience in the Bullitt.

The dealer offered 21k for the GT500 on trade and I'd have to pay 25k more for the Bullitt. So, big no deal. After discussing more, they'd offer 28.5k for trade and I'd have to pay an additional 18k over 7 years. (Can you imagine adding 18k in my GT500?) I'm still considering. I do think the Bullitt looks great, and the suspension, sound and interior quality are very desired for me as I'm searching more a more daily driver. However, the look of my GT500 is mean, it roars, and it's very old school. My first car was a 1966 Mustang with a 289, and my dad has a 1969 Mach 1. I like old school. I like it. A. Lot.

ENDING THOUGHTS:
I think the GT500 is a way better buy, but the Bullitt is probably a better car. I could never get my GT500 to handle like the Bullitt or get as good gas mileage. But my GT500 is worth about 30k whereas a Bullitt is 46-53k new. I can save 15-23k and still have a BEAST with the Shelby name, not a movie name. If they were the same price, I'd probably lean towards the Bullitt and add a supercharger. I feel like the GT500 is an old school, feel the road type of car where the Bullitt drove me more than I drove it. I did not like all the added electronic shit the Bullitt had though. I'm 28, I'm not some old school cat either.

I think if you want a weekend warrior/hobby car, the GT500 is by far the better choice. It's way cheaper and extremely easy to mod. At 1000 dollars, you can an 100 extra hp on a GT500, something a Bullitt will never do. If you want a daily driver for years to come, the Bullitt is the better choice. It handles well and doesn't need many aftermarket improvements. I will admit, it was a sigh of relief getting back into my GT500 and going home from the dealer, realizing how much money I was saving and how much easier my car was to control on my own accord.

·
Premium Member
19 Bullitt 17 GT350 20 GT500 (8/20 build date)
75 Posts
Thanks for you Honest opinion! I Love my Bullitt but it is a different animal than my GT350 as is with your 500! I am pissing away my retirement away as fast as I can with these damn Mustangs!! LOL!! Looking forward to the new 500 and I agree the Bullitt does sound Bad ASS!!

·
Moderator/Admin Dude!
2020 CFTP on order 2011 Kona Blue/white
32,325 Posts
Good review!

Yes, the 07-14 GT500s are fantastic powerful cars that are easy to mod. A little seat time a new Mustang quickly makes you realize how old the S197 has become though. Ford has come a long way in short order. I still love my 2011 Shelby, but the 2020 is on a whole ‘notha level in every aspect.

There was a 2019 Bullitt with us on a Mustang cruise I went on a couple weeks ago... it’s a beautiful Mustang! If you like the ride quality of magneride plus the IRS rear end but you like the power of your GT500, I’d recommend waiting until you can get a 2020+ GT500 at a reasonable price.

·
Premium Member
161 Posts
My local Ford Dealer in NJ has 2 in the show room, said he can't sell them. Been on his floor for close to a year. I think it was the Color that turned many away....curious!

·
Premium Member
5,227 Posts
I really like the OVERALL package on the Bullitt, and I understand the History with the Highlander Green, BUT, I just don't KNOW if I would be Happy with Green in the long run...:(
The Black is pretty, but to me that is NOT a Bullitt, and Black is a BEAR to keep the way I like it...LOL

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I would also say this, about Mustangs in general. There will always be a better Mustang and a "Most Powerful Mustang Ever" around the corner. I saw an 08 Bullitt on a car lot going for nothing, and it looked in rough shape. The same goes for any car.

I think history kinda plays a role here. When the 2007 GT500 came out, Mr. Shelby himself introduced it. Ford had already put the Camero, Trans-am, GTO etc out of business and this car went after the Corvette. I know some say the 03/04 Cobra started the muscle car wars but it didn't, the 2007 GT500 did. 500hp in 2007 was crazy and dealers had 30-40k mark ups on them. It's May of 2020 and there are still TONS of 2019 Bullitts on car lots. Yeah the 2007 GT500 is front heavy and isn't fancy but neither is a 1969 Boss 429 going for 300k. It's not just about performance for Mustang people.

·
Moderator/Admin Dude!
2020 CFTP on order 2011 Kona Blue/white
32,325 Posts
I know some say the 03/04 Cobra started the muscle car wars but it didn't, the 2007 GT500 did.
The 03/04 Cobra started the modern boosted muscle car wars. 390 hp with a supercharger and a warranty was total shock and awe when it hit the press. The 07-14 GT500s just followed the formula that the Terminators proved successful. The GT500s did carry the torch though and moved the marker with even more “awesomeness!”

1 - 8 of 8 Posts