Ford Shelby GT500 Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It's time to replace the 5 year old battery in the 2017 Shelby GT 350. Last fall started getting pop ups about the battery not having enough power to maintain the computer function after sitting for maybe 2 weeks. Never happened before. The OEM battery is a 99r and it is awful small for a V-8 only 470 cca. Other 2017 Mustangs take a 96r battery which is 7/8" longer but width and height are the same. Also, the 96r has 540cca. Question: has anyone installed a 96r in a new GT350/ Any problems? Anyone installed an Optima or an Odyssey AGM battery. Your insights and experience with this matter would be appreciated.

·
Premium Member
2008 Vapor/Black Coupe
1,953 Posts
I can only speak for my 2008, but I've installed both Optima and Odyssey. I ran the Optima for years because there wasn't an Odyssey that fit. The down side to Optima is the sizes are really strange, so for me, it put the terminals closer to the hood than I would like (it was taller). I also think Odyssey makes the best batteries in the business, so I was excited when they finally released the 96R. No issues with it yet. Whatever you do, I would definitely recommend an AGM as the replacement. Having a sealed battery makes sense on so many levels.

·
Moderator/Admin Dude!
2020 CFTP Red! 2011 Kona Blue
36,319 Posts
It's time to replace the 5 year old battery in the 2017 Shelby GT 350. Last fall started getting pop ups about the battery not having enough power to maintain the computer function after sitting for maybe 2 weeks. Never happened before. The OEM battery is a 99r and it is awful small for a V-8 only 470 cca. Other 2017 Mustangs take a 96r battery which is 7/8" longer but width and height are the same. Also, the 96r has 540cca. Question: has anyone installed a 96r in a new GT350/ Any problems? Anyone installed an Optima or an Odyssey AGM battery. Your insights and experience with this matter would be appreciated.
I have been late to the battery tender game, but I am now a big fan! No more premature dead batteries. I highly recommend getting a tender and slapping it on the car when it’s going to sit for a bit. It will prevent you from having to buy a battery 4 years later.

·
Registered
2011 GT500
368 Posts
I have the original battery in the 2011 I bought last year. I'm sure the previous owner used a Battery Tender as I do. The red terminal cover looks to have a permanent bend in the same spot I hook up the positive terminal clip.

But, there is another battery to consider. Lithium....

"LITHIUM BATTERIES, MICRO-STARTS – Antigravity Batteries" LITHIUM BATTERIES, MICRO-STARTS – Antigravity Batteries

·
Premium Member
2008 Vapor/Black Coupe
1,953 Posts
Nice Tim, I had never seen lithium in standard sizes, only race spec. They're using Lithium Iron Phosphate too, which is one of the more stable and safer chemistries out there. I use them at work, in a much different capacity, but have been impressed by the chemistry over the last 10 years.

Reactions: Jus Cruisin

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
FYI The battery in the 2017 Shelby has always had a battery tender connected during the winter months and any time in the summer when the car is going to sit for a couple of weeks. Also, heard back from Odyssey and the 96r will not fit in the newer Mustangs and they do not make a 99r.

·
Registered
2011 GT500
368 Posts
If agm is a "gotta have" I'd look at some other brand than Odyssey. I bought two over the years and neither lasted long.

·
Registered
2011 GT500
368 Posts
@jbrick if your car killed the battery that fast, I look at the alternator and make sure it's putting out 14+ volts charging. It might be the reason your battery died. Down south we'd kill batteries from the extreme heat. Not sure where y'all live.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Let me further explain the issue I experienced last fall. Drove the Shelby for a long ride in the country during the early part of October and then it sat for about a week and a half. The Shelby is located in Southern Wisconsin but in October it is not so cold besides the temperature are way above normal. When I started the Shelby a week and half latter a pop up appeared on the main screen. The pop up stated the car's battery was low and the computer was automatically shut down to preserve power. Never had seen this pop up before but the Shelby started just fine. The 99r OEM battery has only 470 CCA very small for a V-8 but light at only 27 lbs. Good for handling. AGM is interesting but cannot find Auto AGM that's the right size. Right now I will probably buy a new Motorcraft 99r and replace the battery every five years. and use the trickel charger more frequently.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts