Ford Shelby GT500 Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2014GT500 with the track pack and performance package. The owners manual on page 44 showed DOT 3 and DOT 4LV. My question is which fluid does my vehicle have? Thx! HP

·
Registered
2013 Shelby GT500 Coupe, Triple Black
1,691 Posts
I'm not sure what they came with originally but, ironically, pg 42 of the (2013) GT500 Supplement to the Mustang Owner's Manual lists only DOT 3 brake fluid.

DOT 3 and DOT 4 are compatible, so you don't have to worry about "mixing" if you upgrade. FWIW, I migrated to Brembo LCF 600 plus years ago.

Avoid DOT 5 (silicone-based) fluid, however, since it's incompatible with DOT 3 or DOT 4 fluids.

·
Registered
158 Posts
DOT5 brake fluid won't MIX with 3 or 4. but it has the same compression rate as them so it will work with them in a pinch. there is a law that requires this.
the reason why you don't want to use DOT 5 is because it retains AIR similar to how 3 or 4 absorb water. once it's in the system it really difficult to remove without flushing the system with new fluid. anti lock cause the DOT 5 to basically foam up and you will have a diminishing brake pedal with it every time your ABS activates.

there are several high boiling point brake fluids to use. motive and redline pop into my mind right now, i am sure there are a lot of other brands available. the thing to keep in mind is the higher boiling point fluids attract moisture at higher rates than lower boiling point fluids.
if you plan on driving hard and liberally use your brakes enough to need high boiling point fluids. i would suggest regular brake flushing with a pressur bleeder. with the proper tools a brake flush can be done in a very short time.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts