Ford Shelby GT500 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
2013 GT500
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
what’s up guys was looking for recommendations for throttle body upgrade.
I’m looking at
WHIPPLE twin 68mm
VMP twin 67mm
Or a monoblade throttle body
I only have catless xpipe and borla ataks on the car now and wanted to do add a power pack from lethal performance but didn’t know which throttle body to go with.

·
Moderator/Admin Dude!
2020 CFTP on order 2011 Kona Blue/white
32,483 Posts
Who will be writing your tune? Some tuners have had a hard time getting the mono blade to behave properly. The twins seem to have better driving manners.

·
Registered
2013 GT500
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I was thinking of going with the Lund tune ..I see a lot of great reviews. I didn’t know vmp made a 69mm I’ll look into it but how do you think the Whipple fairs against vmp

·
Moderator/Admin Dude!
2020 CFTP on order 2011 Kona Blue/white
32,483 Posts
I was thinking of going with the Lund tune ..I see a lot of great reviews. I didn’t know vmp made a 69mm I’ll look into it but how do you think the Whipple fairs against vmp
From what I’ve seen online, Lund has got his tune for the mono blade dialed in. If I were you though, I would decide on a tuner and then contact them and inquire which throttle body they prefer.

·
Premium Member
2012 SVTPP with a heavy dose of 2013 components
7,337 Posts
VMP started making a 69mm about a year ago. So far it's been a good, reliable throttle body. I haven't heard much about the Whipple, but I have no reason to suspect there's anything wrong with it. I'd just go for the largest bore that's proven reliable. Ask your tuner if they will provided you a tune specific to the throttle body. I'd wouldn't let a tuner touch it that didn't. You'd be surprised how much better the car runs when it is. I would not be afraid to let my wife drive the car alone if she needed to.

·
Registered
2013 GT500
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thank you I’ll reach out to Lund and see what they recommend I really like their work but ...for power wise would the mono blade be more than a twin setup because more airflow

·
Premium Member
7,337 Posts
Depends on how much you drive the car on the street. The monoblade is sort of like an on/off switch and the bigger it is, the harder it is to modulate. Yes, you'll get more airflow, but I don't know if it's worth the extra 20 hp, give or take, with the driveability trade off. I have a few momo-blades, but unless I'm going racing, they're staying on the shelf.

·
Registered
2014 GT500 DIB/Satin Black TP/PP
240 Posts
I daily with, what I'm assuming is, the same power pack from lethal already installed in my '14 that you're looking at. I went with the whipple and Lund for the tune and it's great! It's still very easy to drive on the street, light to light or in traffic, but definitely woke it up. "Woke it up," funny thing to say in an already 600whp car. Lol!

My whole mod list is in my sig.

·
Registered
2013 GT500
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I drive a tdi daily but once a week I’ll take the Shelby out for now until the New England weather is still nice but I do kinda drive her pretty aggressive when alone so wanna make sure if any modded hellcats or z06s come up take care of business no problem lol hahah but thank you guys for the input she’s already a beast like you said at 600whp but we all get a little excited haha

did you every Dyno her yet?

·
Registered
2014 GT500 Coupe SGM " 1 of 1 "
3,363 Posts
Thank you I’ll reach out to Lund and see what they recommend I really like their work but ...for power wise would the mono blade be more than a twin setup because more airflow
FRPP twin 65mm flows 1517 cfm
FRPP mono-blade flows 1797 cfm..
I have no experience with T/B's other than FRPP, the mono-blade drives just as smoothly as the twin 65mm did, when not using a canned tune..

·
Registered
240 Posts
No, no dyno yet. I can tell you that, from a roll a hell kitty is a pretty fair match. Could go either way. I have out ran a gsxr 600 from a dig and a cbr1000 from a 40 roll. It's not a tremendous power gain, but it's a definite noticeable gain.

·
Registered
2013 GT500
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Do you know if the hello kitty was stock? I also do more roll racing highway rolls 40+

·
Registered
240 Posts
Beyond the exhaust, no I dont know. Be careful with the hell kitties and the zr1's, they can deceptively powerful. Especially hell kitties. They're straight line monsters and designed to be. They're heavy, lots of power, and they usually hook-up more than they spin. Also, for not much money, they can produce much more power. The 5.8 in our car is pretty much maxed out. You can squeeze about another 200whp out of it before you've maxed out the stock block. Remember, your heads aren't sleeved and those other guys are.

If I'm just dropping my 2 cents out there.... build your car for you and not to be the baddest thing out there. Theres always a bigger bully on the streets. I race, but I'm super selective on when, where and who.

·
Registered
2013 GT500
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
No of course just wanted to see how your encounter went with one that’s all seen videos that go both ways depends on driver as well. Can never be the fastest tho for sure always someone out there faster.

·
Premium Member
7,337 Posts
FRPP twin 65mm flows 1517 cfm
FRPP mono-blade flows 1797 cfm..
These are the advertised flow rates published by Ford Racing. Kenne Bell states that the pressure drop that was used inflates the flow rates. Here are their results all measured at 28" H20 pressure drop.

Using the TVS 2.3 and 2.65, and combinations I know are on the jagged edge for pump gas; whereby, these blowers are pullied for 18 psi should theoretically flow ~1500 cfm at 6,500 rpm. I say theoretical because that assumes no efficiency losses, so it's likely to be less. Interpolating some of the data above, the 69mm should flow around 1,500 cfm. I think the incremental increase in size (and corresponding flow) over that, is not going to yield all that much in power gains and will only be greatest at peak power. Interpolating the data for 67mm and 69mm twin bore sizes give me 1,425 cfm and 1,510 cfm, respectively.

·
Registered
648 Posts
I had the VMP 67 twin which was awesome over stock & most certainly drove like stock. I now have the KB 2150cfm Mono Blade. I bought it at the urging of Jon Lund Jr who wrote the tuned for my car in 2017. This has been pushed around on the forum a whole bunch but while upgrading from the VMP 67 I bought 2 Brand New FRPP Mono's that could not be tuned by two different Mustang Shops or Lund. In essence I had 3 useless base tunes.
I shipped one FRPP Mono to Accufab where it spent two weeks bench tested. After telephone discussions with an Accufab Tech the company owner called me at home to tell me he even baked the FRPP TB at 260 degrees to simulate engine temps before bench testing . Accufab concluded my FRPP TB Mono was perfect But...after reloading each of the 3 Mono blade base tunes there was still zero street driveability. I was no longer able to chase the 20rwhp FRPP Mono gain.
With the KB 168 Mono Lund's tune had me street data logging off the base. In the end my car idles idles nicely at 900rpm...up from 750rpm. There is no "tip in"....no surge or stumble off idle or anyhwere even on the stab from as low as 1800rpm. 4.10's may also play a role in TB response at 1,800rpm. Peak tq is at 4,300rpm but it makes within 20ftlbs of that peak from 3,300rpm up to 5,100rpm which makes for a good flat street curve as the HP then does what it does. Boost was same at 16.5psi between 67Twin & KB Mono . The peak Tq remained the same at 680rw . But the KB Mono vs VMP 67 showed 34rwhp gain up top on a dynojet for the KB Mono.
This was a crazy and quite an expensive Mod Tuition fee but hey.....that's Hot Roddin.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts