Ford Shelby GT500 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Moderator/Admin Dude!
2020 CFTP on order 2011 Kona Blue/white
33,113 Posts
Good video and good question! It’s such a cool ass car. Some thoughts/questions... do you have more garage space? This is usually the big deciding factor regarding keeping or selling fun cars when wanting another. I don’t know Vipers... does it have a solid rear axle or IRS? Since you like to race, an IRS rear end makes a HUGE difference!

My view of the 2013, from a collector standpoint... the 13/14s are the pinnacle of the S197 GT500. They will command the highest prices of that 8 year run. Having said that, I don’t see them appreciating anytime soon and probably not for a long, long time. They are too similar to the previous years that were improved upon through the years and there are a BUNCH of 07-14 GT500s in circulation. You mentioned the 03/04 Terminators in your video. That’s a different story entirely. They were only produced for 2 years (similar to the 13/14), but there was nothing like them before or after. The 10-12 GT500s are real similar to the 13/14 and the 07-09 have many parallels as well. For this reason, I don’t think we will see the collector market get crazy on the 13/14s like what we see on some of the more rare Terminator offerings.

If I were in your shoes and had the garage space for the car, I’d keep it. It would not be an “investment car.” It would be a “fun car.” This is how I view and treat my 2011 GT500. It’s a fun car to take out and hammer. With the manual gearbox and solid rear axle, it gives me a good “old school adrenaline rush.” It’s a different vibe entirely than the 2020 GT500, which simply put, is a professional assassin.

·
Premium Member
338 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Good video and good question! It’s such a cool ass car. Some thoughts/questions... do you have more garage space? This is usually the big deciding factor regarding keeping or selling fun cars when wanting another. I don’t know Vipers... does it have a solid rear axle or IRS? Since you like to race, an IRS rear end makes a HUGE difference!

My view of the 2013, from a collector standpoint... the 13/14s are the pinnacle of the S197 GT500. They will command the highest prices of that 8 year run. Having said that, I don’t see them appreciating anytime soon and probably not for a long, long time. They are too similar to the previous years that were improved upon through the years and there are a BUNCH of 07-14 GT500s in circulation. You mentioned the 03/04 Terminators in your video. That’s a different story entirely. They were only produced for 2 years (similar to the 13/14), but there was nothing like them before or after. The 10-12 GT500s are real similar to the 13/14 and the 07-09 have many parallels as well. For this reason, I don’t think we will see the collector market get crazy on the 13/14s like what we see on some of the more rare Terminator offerings.

If I were in your shoes and had the garage space for the car, I’d keep it. It would not be an “investment car.” It would be a “fun car.” This is how I view and treat my 2011 GT500. It’s a fun car to take out and hammer. With the manual gearbox and solid rear axle, it gives me a good “old school adrenaline rush.” It’s a different vibe entirely than the 2020 GT500, which simply put, is a professional assassin.

There in lies my problem. I have no additional garage space. I may have to just wait it out till the new GT500 prices come down before doing the upgrade.

·
Premium Member
8,056 Posts
With a Viper in the garage and the desire to own a new GT500 sometime in the future, I would put it up for sale now when you have no pressure to sell it, and see what the market brings you. It's always hard for a "car nut" to sell one of their 'beauties", but realize there are always more to come. Unless you plan on having a museum collection of cars, where space and financial concerns are no problem, then keeping it awhile longer is a no brainer. Of a minor concern, is the saving on sales tax when you trade it in on a new GT500 ... probably just a matter of a few thousand dollars, but to some, it's worth considering. Pretty much a personal decision for you to make ... only you know all the variables involved. Best of luck any way you choose .. I think you'll always have a winner in your garage!!

·
Registered
2013 Shelby GT500
284 Posts
Three words - Don't do it.
Agreed. Personally, I feel the 2013/14 will become more valuable at some point. The Trinity engine was only put in the 2013/14. No other vehicle. At that point in time, that engine was something really special. And dont forget that it was the last car Carroll Shelby had any input in before his death. That also makes it special, perhaps more than a 2020 😀. The 2020 is great but does it lose some of the raw feel of a 13/14? Goose can tell us that. Will a 2020 GT500 become more collectible than a 13/14 GT500? It depends on how many Ford produces over its lifespan. It certainly has the technical innovation over a 13/14, but that may not be what a collector in the future is looking for. They may be looking to the brutishness of a 13/14 instead, a fond memory from his/her past.

·
Moderator/Admin Dude!
33,113 Posts
Agreed. Personally, I feel the 2013/14 will be valuable at some point. The Trinity engine was only put in the 2013/14. No other vehicle. At that point in time, that engine was something really special. And dont forget that it was the last car Carroll Shelby had any input in before his death. That also makes it special, perhaps more than a 2020 😀
All of the 07-14 GT500s will be “valuable at some point.” The kicker will be when you see sales of sub-10k mile cars selling for more than original sticker price... I think we are a long way away from that.

As far as Carroll Shelby having “any input” on the 07+ Shelbys... the cars were 100% a product of Ford’s SVT department. Carroll Shelby was brought out for pictures/videos and had an “honorary involvement.”

In my collection, I have focused on rare, 1-year only 1993+ SVT Mustangs. They offer the best chances of being decent collector cars. The 2011 GT500 is the odd duck in my garage. I have it simply for fun. It won’t go above the $50k sticker price for a long, long time.

·
Registered
2013 Shelby GT500
284 Posts
All of the 07-14 GT500s will be “valuable at some point.” The kicker will be when you see sales of sub-10k mile cars selling for more than original sticker price... I think we are a long way away from that.

As far as Carroll Shelby having “any input” on the 07+ Shelbys... the cars were 100% a product of Ford’s SVT department. Carroll Shelby was brought out for pictures/videos and had an “honorary involvement.”

In my collection, I have focused on rare, 1-year only 1993+ SVT Mustangs. They offer the best chances of being decent collector cars. The 2011 GT500 is the odd duck in my garage. I have it simply for fun. It won’t go above the $50k sticker price for a long, long time.
Time will tell on any of these newer cars, including a Terminator or even a 2020 GT500.

·
Moderator/Admin Dude!
33,113 Posts
...and Hagerty wants to sell you insurance for that “collector car.” They make a lot a valid points though and full disclosure, I have Hagerty insurance on the Cobras.
Time will tell on any of these newer cars, including a Terminator or even a 2020 GT500.
I agree that time will tell, but time is already telling on the Terminators. The more desirable Terminator models are commanding good money already for pristine virgin examples. Top end Terminators are actually priced higher than what I see for 07-14 GT500 prices.

·
Registered
2013 Shelby GT500
284 Posts
...and Hagerty wants to sell you insurance for that “collector car.” They make a lot a valid points though and full disclosure, I have Hagerty insurance on the Cobras.

I agree that time will tell, but time is already telling on the Terminators. The more desirable Terminator models are commanding good money already for pristine virgin examples. Top end Terminators are actually priced higher than what I see for 07-14 GT500 prices.
In time, expect to see similar increases in value for the 13/14, much like a Terminator.

·
Registered
5,576 Posts
End of the day, the gamble or potential investment your making is over a very long period of time. I dont care what my car costed me 8 years ago, nor do I care what it'll be worth in 10. What is the return I get from it today?

·
Moderator/Admin Dude!
33,113 Posts
In time, expect to see similar increases in value for the 13/14, much like a Terminator.
I do not... we shall see. The 13/14s vs the Terminators are quite different situations. There were also specialty versions of the 03/04, namely the anniversary models and Mystichrome packages, which help with collectability.

·
Registered
2013 Shelby GT500 Coupe, Triple Black
1,692 Posts
I agree that the '13/'14 (Trinity) MYs were the pinnacle of S197 GT500s and that they're likely to command the highest prices of that 8-year run. I also don't see short-term appreciation for them, but only time will tell how "long" it takes for them to gain collector value. I disagree that the '03/'04 Terminators are "a different story entirely." '94-'01 Cobras are as "similar" and have as many "parallels" to Terminators as '07-'12 GT500s do to the Trinities. Just as S197 GT500s evolved throughout their production run, so too did SN95 Cobras/Terminators. Just like S197 GT500s, the SN95's pinnacle was in the final two years of production. Ford took three years off between the '04 Terminator and the '07 GT500. They took a doubly long hiaitus between the '14 GT500 and the '20 GT500. (GT350s are a different discussion.) Production numbers also belie your beliefs here - There were almost 20K Terminators (over 12K coupes and almost 7K verts) produced. In contast, there were less than 11K Trinities (almost 9K coupes and well-under 2K verts) produced. The overall numbers are simlarly skewed, with nearly 75K SN95 Cobras and less than 48K S197 GT500s produced. Only time will tell, but those numbers indicate the Trinity collector market may develop more quickly than you predict.

His "honorary involvement" beats no involvement at all throughout the Cobra/Terminator MYs.

Time is already telling because Terminators are now over 15 years old. It rings a little hollow, however, to compare them with "07-14 GT500 prices" at this point - there's a large spread of both age and price between '07 GT500s and '14 GT500s. In my experience, your comparison may have been more accurate if it said "Top end Terminators are actually priced higher than what I see for 07-08 GT500 prices." I would, however, like to see examples of pristine Terminators selling* for more than pristine Trinities. (*Asking prices prove nothing.)

I do not... we shall see. The 13/14s vs the Terminators are quite different situations. There were also specialty versions of the 03/04, namely the anniversary models and Mystichrome packages, which help with collectability.
(Specialty versions, anniversary models, and Mystichrome packages notwithstanding) as I said above, production numbers belie your argument. There were far more SN95 Cobras than S197 GT500s, and similarly more Terminators than Trinities, produced. Obviously, only time will tell how they fare in the collector world, but the numbers indicate Trinities will become increasingly collectible as they age.

·
Premium Member
2013 GT500 and 2020 GT500
3,747 Posts
Wasn't the 2013 GT500 an Anniversary Model?

2013-Ford-shelby-GT500-Convertible-SVT-door-sill-closeup.jpg

Reactions: Norton

·
Registered
2014 GT500 Coupe SGM " 1 of 1 "
3,424 Posts
It would cost you nothing to post it on several sites, price it " fair " for you & a potential buyer.
You have a color that seems to be in demand.
If it sells, it sells..

·
Moderator/Admin Dude!
33,113 Posts
I disagree that the '03/'04 Terminators as "a different story entirely." '94-'01 Cobras are as "similar" and have as many "parallels" to Terminators as '07-'12 GT500s due to the Trinities. Just as S197 GT500s evolved throughout their production run, so too did SN95 Cobras/Terminators.
The 94-98 Cobras were built on the SN-95 Mustang. The 94 & 95 received the old 5.0 from the Fox body days rated at 240 hp. We saw the introduction of the new 4.6 in the 96-98 Cobra (still the old SN-95 chassis). In 1999, Ford gave us the New Edge Mustang with the biggest change being the introduction of an IRS rear end on the Cobra. There was no regular Cobra for 2000, only the 2000 Cobra R. A revised standard Cobra hit the market again for 2001 but was not available in the US again for 2002 as the “Terminator was not quite ready for prime time. In 2003, Ford shocked the world by introducing their first supercharged Mustang straight from the factory and thus began the modern boosted muscle car era. This was a huge departure from the previous naturally aspirated line of Mustang Cobras. To lump the 03/04 Cobras in with the previous 94-01 offerings is a bit short-sighted. This is a big driving factor is why Terminators have such a cult like following, which drives prices up for nice examples.

The 07-14 GT500s were all the same formula with improvements along the way, including a bigger engine and better supercharger in 2013. Someone that couldn’t afford a 13/14 could buy a previous year and easily mod it to have similar performance.
I would, however, like to see examples of pristine Terminators selling* for more than pristine Trinities. (*Asking prices prove nothing.)
I have a collector friend that has a variety of collector vehicles. He has a passion for Terminators and has bought quite a few very low mile pristine examples. He also has a low mile 2014 GT500. The prices he has paid for the low mile Terminators would surprise you. The real nice pristine cars are often sold with no listings on eBay or other venues. These are sold off the grid, behind the scenes.
Wasn't the 2013 GT500 an Anniversary Model?
All 2013 GT500s received the anniversary door sills. This wasn’t a separate “anniversary model” within the 2013 model year. On the contrary, Ford offered a separate 2003 Anniversary Model that had different wheels, badges and an entirely different interior that was limited to three exterior paint options.

·
Registered
2013 Shelby GT500
284 Posts
Loved the Fox body Cobra. Even though the Fox never looked like a Mustang to me, I owned 2 new Fox GTs. The SN95 never struck me as looking like a Mustang. Too Euro. The S197 has the “look” of the original Mustang and is popular with us old folks who enjoyed the original.

·
Premium Member
5,250 Posts
Back to the original question...I think...

Should you sell it or keep it...
I would simply say to try and be sure WHY you want to sell it.
When I sold my 2012 GT500, I was Certain that I wanted/needed to sell it.
Some financial and some health related.
Well the health issues (eyesight) were repaired via cataract surgery.
Finances were NOT as bad as I felt....

And NOW I regret selling it, although I got a decent price for it.
Ahhh the dilemma of an OLD Car Nut😩
Sell it or keep it... Good Luck with your decision!

1 - 20 of 49 Posts