Ford Shelby GT500 Forum banner

21 - 24 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
I know that this is a old post, but the only way I would even buy this car for my son would be if someone had transplanted a Roush Supercharged coyote engine in it.
If I bought it dirt cheap with a blown engine or no engine, I would have found a wrecked 2013 or 2014 5.8 engine.

My next project car is a very low mileage 2017 5.0 Mustang (the last year before they ruined the front end with the ugly brake vents). I am going to sell the 5.0 and transmission and put a 2013 or 2014 5.8 GT500 engine and Tremec transmission in it. I will have the 5.0 emblems removed and a snake put in their place.

·
Premium Member
7,142 Posts
Are you sure it's going to fit? The 5.4/5.8 have much taller deck heights and are wider. That's my understanding why the new GT500 is powered by a coyote. I think getting a voodoo block and building it with one of VMP's new Odin superchargera would probably cost less than a used complete 5.8 and be more potent.

·
Registered
11 Posts
I have talked to two performance shops about this, one of them had a employee's friend tell them that he knew a guy that had a 5.4 Lightning engine installed in a 2015 or 2016 mustang.

·
Premium Member
7,142 Posts
A Lightning has single overhead cams and only 2 valves per cylinder. I had 3v 5.4 in my old F-150 and it was not as wide as the DOHC. I did find where Weir Racing shoehorned one in a 2015, but it was not a simple bolt in. There is a shot that shows how tight it is.

21 - 24 of 24 Posts