Ford Shelby GT500 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am looking at a black 2012 GT500 for sale.
It has 56,000 miles on the car. The owner blew the motor up & sold the motor.
He purchased a 2013 5.0 motor out of a truck & is in the process of trying to get it to run.
I would say it is about 75% complete on the install. What is the car worth?

·
Moderator/Admin Dude!
2020 Rapid Red/black 2011 Kona Blue/white
31,603 Posts
I am looking at a black 2012 GT500 for sale.
It has 56,000 miles on the car. The owner blew the motor up & sold the motor.
He purchased a 2013 5.0 motor out of a truck & is in the process of trying to get it to run.
I would say it is about 75% complete on the install. What is the car worth?
Welcome to the forum Dwayne!

This car will be a tough one to assess value since it has a 5.0 truck motor (not even a Coyote 5.0). A regular 2012 with 50-something thousand miles might fetch somewhere around $30k, give or take depending on condition. With a non-running truck motor, I personally wouldn’t touch it period! If you wanted to offer something to try and get it, I would offer something in the teens to VERY low 20s. This sounds like a headache that I wouldn’t want to inherit.

There are plenty of 07-09 cars for sale in the 20s. If you really want an 11/12, shop around. You’ll see a well used one possibly dip into the high 20s.

Also, if you are up for introducing yourself, you’ll find our new member area here:

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for your quick response. I agree with your reply & I am on the fence with it. It is really a good decent car, but do I want the headache. He is wanting 15 for it.

·
Moderator/Admin Dude!
31,603 Posts
Thanks for your quick response. I agree with your reply & I am on the fence with it. It is really a good decent car, but do I want the headache. He is wanting 15 for it.
If the feast of the car is decent including the paint and the interior, $15k is not a bad deal. Does it have a regular (non salvaged) title?

·
Moderator/Admin Dude!
31,603 Posts
Engines for these cars frequently pop up on eBay. This is one from an 07-10, which is an iron block with traditional hydraulic power steering, but keep an eye out for an aluminum motor. I’ve seen them from time to time.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yes, it has a regular title. The car itself is in really good shape. He gave 32 for it a couple of years ago & dropped another 7 on the motor.

·
Moderator/Admin Dude!
31,603 Posts
Yes, it has a regular title. The car itself is in really good shape. He gave 32 for it a couple of years ago & dropped another 7 on the motor.
If you can do the work yourself (vs paying someone), this would be a worthwhile project. I would find a GT500 engine though.

·
Registered
235 Posts
If the title is clean, I would consider this as value of a GT when pricing it. Maybe even less since it has been dicked with.
I certainly would not even pay within $15k of any semi normal GT500 price. Not even close

EDIT: I saw he wants $15K for it. If you are ok with a non GT500, gt500, then I think the deal isnt horrible. Just realize you will spend all but $15k for a motor to get the right motor in it.
Honestly, I wouldn't even consider it for $15k. To get it right, you will spend too much money. If you can do the work yourself and have a lead on a motor maybe. . . maybe, but meh

·
Premium Member
7,142 Posts
If it's a 5.0, it's still a coyote, but probably not on par with a mustang GT. What's he doing on computer controls? The 5.0 will have variable cam timing. You're not going to run it off of a GT500 PCM. Unless this guy knows what he's doing, it might be a pile of crap, not even worth fooling with, unless you get it cheap.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I think the guy got in over his head on putting this 5.0 in it. I appreciate everyone's wisdom & opinions so far. These kinds of comments are helping me in making my decision on what to do next. Greatly appreciated!

·
Premium Member
7,142 Posts
If he put lock outs on the VCT system, he could run the GT500 PCM, but it's going to take a tune and some know how. It's not plug and play.

·
Registered
2013 GT500 and 2020 GT500
3,522 Posts
Does he have any of the original GT500 Engine accessories? What PCM does it have, the trucks or the GT500's? Is the intercooler still in the car?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I am not sure what all he got rid of when he sold the blown up motor. I am friends with his parents, so the next time I am over at their house sometime soon I will do some more investigating. I will say that given with all the response I am leaning towards not taking on anymore headaches! :)

1 - 20 of 24 Posts