Ford Shelby GT500 Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2012 GT500
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all,

I have a 2012 GT500 SVTPP that currently has stock suspension setup. I drive the car for fun on weekends and trips out to the coast, I live in California. I’m looking to improve the stance as well as improve the cars handling in the corners but nothing drastic. I have been looking at the maximum Motorsports GT500 kit and down the road I’m thinking I will eventually go with Cortex Watts Link and Torque arm and perhaps I should just put up the $ up front to get that done? Was looking for your opinions on maximum Motorsports, Cortez and on recommendations for:

lowering springs in the ~1” range
Adjustable LCA
Adjustable Panhard Bar
Adjustable shocks (bilstein, Viking, etc)

Thanks!

·
Registered
350 Posts
I used the cortex LCAs and was very happy with them. The bearings are very good. I also did the cortex watts and TA. Very happy with them as well. If you are thinking of a watts then don’t get an adjustable panhard (just go straight to watts). If you order from Cortex make sure you specify that you are considering the TA if you get the watts. The reason is they will only provide mounting points in the diff cover for what they know you are using and the watts and the TA both mount to the diff cover. If you plan on using the cortex diff catch can (or you might) tell them that as well for the same reason. You can email the owner Filip he is very good at answering emails and phone calls.

·
Registered
350 Posts

·
Premium Member
7,186 Posts
It all depends on your expectations. Some lowering springs are harsher than others. Same goes for shocks and struts. Sounds like this is still a street car. I don't think it's a bad choice, but you might ask for feed back on the Eibach Pro Springs and Bilstiens because I know there are a few guys running these. Talking to someone at Maximum could also help you make a better decision. My latest iteration involves coil overs and higher spring rates with double adjustable shocks and struts. I'm not convinced I wasn't happier with my SVTPP springs on Koni single adjustables with bigger sway bars. I still have the bigger bars, but the ride is not as comfy as it was, but I'm still tweaking it.

·
Registered
45 Posts
IMHO if you're going to go with full adjustabilty to keep the rear end planted with LCA/UCA/TA and the Cortex Watts might as well do the next right thing and put adjustable coilovers at all four corners as well. Expensive for sure but that's what I've been contemplating for a couple of months now. Nothing beats adjustable coilovers for helping to dial-in your stance with a near perfect weight distribution.

·
Premium Member
7,186 Posts
I'd rethink rear coil overs. They severely limits tire choices out back and you're putting the weight of the rear of the car on bracketry that was designed to locate one end of non-load-bearing shock absorbers. You can still use a rear coil over spring with spring adjusters available for Steeda and Maximum Motorsports in the original spring locations. Most coil over shocks are also available in smooth body configurations too. I had clearance issues with these before I got them off the ramps, but the more I thought about the design element, the more concerned I became. I ended up with the same shocks in a smooth body and the spring adjusters with 2.5" i.d. coil-over springs. Something to think about.

·
Registered
365 Posts
Where are you in CA , OP? I have an 11, that went down the same path already as you are now. PM me if you are around NorCal to meet up. Maybe see you at the Shelby MiniNats @ Sonoma?

1 - 10 of 10 Posts