Ford Shelby GT500 Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have GT500, which I owe to years. 25XXX on it. (I'm using it as evening and weekend car.)
For all this time I've changed oil once. That's it. Didn't do anything else.

I got a letter from DMV with requirement to pass SMOG test and to be sure I will pass it, I've connected OBD-II scanner and found this error.
Now I need to fix it.

Google says...
The most common repairs to address the P0315 code are as follows:
  1. Repair or replace wiring harness around crankshaft position sensor.
  2. Repair or replace crankshaft position sensor.
  3. Repair or replace crankshaft or related components.
  4. Repair or replace timing belt.
  5. Repair or replace powertrain control module.
Question.... Is there any DIY steps I can follow before I will drive my car to repair station? May be the problem is minor? ("Check Engine" light is not on.)

·
Premium Member
7,166 Posts
From my 2012 Service Manual.

First thing I would do is reset KAM and see if it comes back. Sorry I can't post the diagnostic pin-point process, but the first step is to check that the crankshaft position sensor is properly connected and fastened to the timing cover. I would unplug it and plug it back and see if the code comes back. I would then remove it from the engine and clean that part of it that's inside the engine, making sure there is no sort of debris on it. Reset KAM while you're doing this to see if the code comes back. It also mentions inspecting the front crank pulley to make sure it's tight. The pulse wheel is sandwiched between the balancer and the crankshaft chain sprocket. That's the only couple of things you could do without tearing into the engine to examine the pulse wheel. That's not to say the sensor isn't bad either.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
From my 2012 Service Manual.

View attachment 197608

First thing I would do is reset KAM and see if it comes back. Sorry I can't post the diagnostic pin-point process, but the first step is to check that the crankshaft position sensor is properly connected and fastened to the timing cover. I would unplug it and plug it back and see if the code comes back. I would then remove it from the engine and clean that part of it that's inside the engine, making sure there is no sort of debris on it. Reset KAM while you're doing this to see if the code comes back. It also mentions inspecting the front crank pulley to make sure it's tight. The pulse wheel is sandwiched between the balancer and the crankshaft chain sprocket. That's the only couple of things you could do without tearing into the engine to examine the pulse wheel. That's not to say the sensor isn't bad either.
What is the best way to access that sensor?

1 - 4 of 4 Posts