Ford Shelby GT500 Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2011 GT500 Black
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Engine threw a light right after I filled up this evening - 93 Octane at Walmart…

Immediately went home threw the OBDII scanner on it... CEL light went off after a bit of very easy rolling around the neighborhood and hasn’t come back on since.

Wonder if it has anything to do with the fact that I just filled up and topped up quite a bit more than usual... Maybe too full? Caused the gas cap system to think it was open or loose?
Telephony Communication Device Finger Computer keyboard Portable communications device

Telephony Communication Device Finger Gesture Portable communications device

·
Registered
2011 GT500 Black
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
That was it, Wal-Mart Gas!!! Just kidding! Might be the fill seal, or could be the purge valve. Mine messed up and gave me that code off and on till I replaced it.
Fill seal or purge valve you had to replace @ihaterice

How hard was that to do yourself - or did you have the dealer do it?

Only 24k miles on mine….

·
Registered
2011 GT500 Black
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for all the tips… drove it around a bit more today during lunch at the CEL never came back on so I’m hoping it was down to a wee bit too enthusiastic topping off of gas… Appreciate the help as always.

Reactions: Goose17

·
Registered
2011 GT500 Black
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Had the same situation happen to my Ford van while on a long trip through Montana .... I was always "topping off" the tank every time I filled up to go as long as I could between stops ... called a good friend who is a Ford mechanic and he told me to STOP topping off the tank and to NEVER overfill any modern car, let the gas nozzle shut off automatically and hang it up right then. Overfilling will cause the CEL to come on and over time, damage the Evaporative Control System on these vehicles. So, I cleared the CEL with a code reader, stopped 'overfilling', and didn't ever see a CEL ever again ....... lesson learned. :)
Yep good lesson for me too. Y’all are the Uncles I never had. My dad is a great man, but not the car enthusiast this group is! Thx!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts