Ford Shelby GT500 Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
453 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Wondering if anybody has clear round tape discs on the inside edge of the trunk. It looks like these are drain holes, so I'm not sure why they are taped up. Can anyone provide some insight?

Attachments

·
Registered
2014 GT500 Coupe SGM " 1 of 1 "
3,682 Posts
Never noticed this on my 11, but the holes are taped over on my 14, & not sure why they are taped over..

·
Registered
175 Posts
i am a autobody tech with 40 years of experience.
pretty much ALL cars have similar holes in the trunk lid. there are usually similar holes in the hood also.
sometimes there are rubber plugs in the holes instead of tape.
my guess is those really aren't drain holes for moisture, aka water, in the trunk. they are drain holes for the E coat primer to drain out on the panel when the car was built. when i toured a GM build plant many years ago the hoods and trunk lids were installed and open when they entered the E coat primer dip tank
i would assume they tape over the holes to prevent moisture from getting inside the panel when it's on the road. on some cars the tape is under the paint.
for the most part water builds up in the tail end of the panel causing rust, not the front so i wouldn't worry about it.
will moisture build up inside of the T lid later on? my opinion is yes so it wouldn't hurt to remove the tape.

·
Moderator/Admin Dude!
2020 CFTP Rapid Red! 2011 Kona Blue/white
35,352 Posts
I have a 2011 with 4,000 miles on it and the holes are covered with cldar round tape discs.
Welcome to the forum! If you are up for introducing yourself and showing us your 2011, you’ll find our new member area here:

i am a autobody tech with 40 years of experience.
pretty much ALL cars have similar holes in the trunk lid. there are usually similar holes in the hood also.
sometimes there are rubber plugs in the holes instead of tape.
my guess is those really aren't drain holes for moisture, aka water, in the trunk. they are drain holes for the E coat primer to drain out on the panel when the car was built. when i toured a GM build plant many years ago the hoods and trunk lids were installed and open when they entered the E coat primer dip tank
i would assume they tape over the holes to prevent moisture from getting inside the panel when it's on the road. on some cars the tape is under the paint.
for the most part water builds up in the tail end of the panel causing rust, not the front so i wouldn't worry about it.
will moisture build up inside of the T lid later on? my opinion is yes so it wouldn't hurt to remove the tape.
That’s good info!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts