Ford Shelby GT500 Forum banner
21 - 39 of 39 Posts

·
Moderator/Admin Dude!
2020 CFTP Red! 2011 Kona Blue
44,112 Posts
2020 Shelby GT 500 cost $300k in Australia gt350 never made it here but you will be paying well above 150k. 2011gt 500 range 110k-150k unfortunately we aren't so lucky as America with muscle cars 😭
Take the car to the road course and give it a shot. Heat soak isn’t going to bite you… you just lose power. Brake fade can bite! Stay attentive to a soft/spongy brake pedal and/or the smell of hot brakes. With any signs of hot brakes, reduce speed.

·
Registered
2011 Shelby GT500
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
Yeah plan is upgrade suspension and breaks. I want to be able to do track days and also drive the car on the street. Whenever I like. That's why I'm not adding crazy power! Thank very much for everyone's help I will keep everyone updated over the next few weeks with my build.

·
Premium Member
2021 GT500 Race Red
1,067 Posts
The S197 is just not an ideal road course car. It’s better suited for the strip or street fun. For the brakes, get track pads and high temp fluid. That will help tremendously. Front cooling ducts will help even more.

For the heat soak issue… your best bet is at stock power level with no added smaller pulley or larger supercharger swap for added boost. A larger aftermarket heat exchanger will help, but not solve the heat soak issue. Same with an aftermarket intercooler. It’s just a limitation of the design. This is why prior to the 2020 GT500, the best advice for a proper road course car was always naturally aspirated… hence the GT350. Boost adds heat. This heat only dissipates with serious cooling. The 2020+ came stock with excellent cooling. The S197 did not.
Tim, I been meaning to ask you for occasional track use, is the stock brake fluid Good enough, or should I put Racing brake fluid, Heat is the problem with a stock fluid.

I was planning when I go, to do 2 to 4 laps at a time, then let the car cool down maybe 30 to 60 mins? What do you recommend ? Again occasional tracking and time intervals between laps etc. Thank you

·
Premium Member
2021 GT500 Race Red
1,067 Posts
2020 Shelby GT 500 cost $300k in Australia gt350 never made it here but you will be paying well above 150k. 2011gt 500 range 110k-150k unfortunately we aren't so lucky as America with muscle cars 😭
Wow, I thought 155K Though Ford was high, or 225K though a importer, I know Muscle cars in Australia are expensive, as Aussies come to the Philippines Restore say a 70 Cuda which is cheap to do as labor is cheap, parts and shipping, plus customs drives the price up, But 30K can restore a Car in decent shape.

These Aussies were restoring the cars here, then shipping them to Australia.

My wife Cousin lives in Sydney and he's a Mech/turner for High-end cars, like Lambos, Porsches, Ferraris, etc. Said they're very expensive there. 300K For a 2020+ GT500 is insane.

How hard is it to import a car there Anthony? Here its very hard, and costly, they're working on a new law that if the car is 40 years old or older you can bring it in pay 30% duty, 12% VAT of the purchase price. Newer cars have to be no more then 1 year old, and have less then 650 miles on it, again 30% duty, 12% VAT. plus shipping it here, insurance etc. Sucks :mad:

·
Moderator/Admin Dude!
44,112 Posts
Tim, I been meaning to ask you for occasional track use, is the stock brake fluid Good enough, or should I put Racing brake fluid, Heat is the problem with a stock fluid.

I was planning when I go, to do 2 to 4 laps at a time, then let the car cool down maybe 30 to 60 mins? What do you recommend ? Again occasional tracking and time intervals between laps etc. Thank you
The 2020-22 GT500 is a legit race car straight from the factory. You can run the car HARD at the track with full gas/full brakes for the entire tank of gas without any heat issues. The factory brakes are up to the task as delivered.

·
Premium Member
2021 GT500 Race Red
1,067 Posts
The 2020-22 GT500 is a legit race car straight from the factory. You can run the car HARD at the track with full gas/full brakes for the entire tank of gas without any heat issues. The factory brakes are up to the task as delivered.
Thank you Tim. :) (y)

·
Registered
2011 Shelby GT500
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #28 ·
Wow, I thought 155K Though Ford was high, or 225K though a importer, I know Muscle cars in Australia are expensive, as Aussies come to the Philippines Restore say a 70 Cuda which is cheap to do as labor is cheap, parts and shipping, plus customs drives the price up, But 30K can restore a Car in decent shape.

These Aussies were restoring the cars here, then shipping them to Australia.

My wife Cousin lives in Sydney and he's a Mech/turner for High-end cars, like Lambos, Porsches, Ferraris, etc. Said they're very expensive there. 300K For a 2020+ GT500 is insane.

How hard is it to import a car there Anthony? Here its very hard, and costly, they're working on a new law that if the car is 40 years old or older you can bring it in pay 30% duty, 12% VAT of the purchase price. Newer cars have to be no more then 1 year old, and have less then 650 miles on it, again 30% duty, 12% VAT. plus shipping it here, insurance etc. Sucks :mad:
Hey man! It's hard and expensive. Unfortunately there isn't. Needs to comply with all 7 states and certificates. It's hard work. What is your wife's cousins shop called I got a lot of work I want to do on the car. Looking for tuner and stuff.

Thanks in advance

·
Registered
Kona blue, red stripes 2011 SVT, pulley, tune
15 Posts
Having issue with second gear being sticky/lockout. Rest of the gears are easy and works fine what is the solution to this fix?

Right hand side conversation was done in 2011. Previous owner said it's always been an issue.
All of Catmonkey's recommendations are great, but I went another route. Had the same problem with my 2011 since new but was confused why the problem only happened in second gear. In driving the car the ratio change from first to second was huge compared to the other gear changes. I was told that Ford did this to make the car capable of hitting 60 mph in second gear so you didn't need another shift making the 0-60 time quicker. To me, it made the car frustrating to drive with the huge RPM drop on the second gear shift, and 3rd to 4th much closer. That huge RPM drop was making the 2nd gear synchro work so much harder to speed match the gears on a shift than the other gears with closer ratios. That was my theory in why the problem was only happening in 2nd. In checking around I found Rockland Gear who knows the 6060s inside and out. I asked about changing the gear ratio and he had two options, bringing 1st gear closer to 2nd, or 2nd closer to first. I went with putting second gear right in the middle of 1st and 3rd, now every shift from 1st to 4th is an even RPM change plus I put in carbon fiber synchros in all gears. You can buy the parts from Rockland or get a completely rebuilt unit with your choice of gear ratios. After the gear and synchro change problem was gone other than on a cold morning but that is the same in all the gears, once it warms up, it is fine. If you go this route you will have to find someone with the license to reprogram your PCM as the computer will not see the programed RPM in the changed gearing, and think the tires are spinning, kicking in traction control. Did this change in 2012 and has been fine ever since.

·
Registered
2011 Shelby GT500
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #30 ·
Unfortunately man I'm from Australia. These parts will be impossible for me to get from I got the MGW gen 2 I got my fingers crossed it will help the problem if not I may need to try your solution of put a whole new gear box. Because this 2nd gear is really getting on my nerves

·
Premium Member
2012 & 2021 GT500 strippers
9,250 Posts
I was told that Ford did this to make the car capable of hitting 60 mph in second gear so you didn't need another shift making the 0-60 time quicker. To me, it made the car frustrating to drive with the huge RPM drop on the second gear shift, and 3rd to 4th much closer. That huge RPM drop was making the 2nd gear synchro work so much harder to speed match the gears on a shift than the other gears with closer ratios. That was my theory in why the problem was only happening in 2nd.
Actually, you have the facts confused a bit, at least in the way I'm reading it. The principal is right as far as what you changed, but the no shift 0 to 60 1-2 gear change is a distinction of the to 13-14. Ford used a lower 1st gear ratio (2.97:1) in all 07-12 transmissions. The difference in the 07-09 and 10-12 were only in the 5th and 6th gear ratios to improve fuel mileage. Depending on rear gears, you won't really make it past 45 mph in 1st gear without exceeding redline and requiring a shift to 2nd. To get to 60 mph in 1st with no gear change, in 2013 Ford changed the 1st gear ratio to 2.66:1 and put a higher rear axle ratio (3.31:1) in the 13-14 MY cars. That put the revs at ~6,600 rpm at 60 mph.

Ford also used a slightly lower 2nd gear ratio in the 13-14 transmission than the 07-12 transmission as well (1.82 vs 1.78). As a result the 1-2 gear change should have improved in the 13-14, but there were still complaints, just to a lesser degree. The change in the 1-2 shift with 2.97 gear is a 40% drop in rpm. It is a big jump. The 2.66 1st to 2nd gear change is only a 32% drop. So if you shift at 6,500 rpm, the drop to 2nd would slow rpm to 3,900 rpm with the lower 2.97 gear ratio. The higher 1st gear in the 13-14 would come in at a drop to 4,420 rpm in 2nd.

I installed a 2013 transmission in my car because I liked the later transmission ratios better and it had a slightly higher torque rating. I really did not get a grind with either transmission, but I don't power shift the car either. My definition of power shift is a no-lift shift. I didn't get really aggressive with shifts for some time after I got the car to break in the new parts which may have been kinder to the synchros. I suspect your new synchros took care of the issue, but the big drop in 1-2 gear shift no doubt contributes to the overall problem.

·
Registered
Kona blue, red stripes 2011 SVT, pulley, tune
15 Posts
Actually, you have the facts confused a bit, at least in the way I'm reading it. The principal is right as far as what you changed, but the no shift 0 to 60 1-2 gear change is a distinction of the to 13-14. Ford used a lower 1st gear ratio (2.97:1) in all 07-12 transmissions. The difference in the 07-09 and 10-12 were only in the 5th and 6th gear ratios to improve fuel mileage. Depending on rear gears, you won't really make it past 45 mph in 1st gear without exceeding redline and requiring a shift to 2nd. To get to 60 mph in 1st with no gear change, in 2013 Ford changed the 1st gear ratio to 2.66:1 and put a higher rear axle ratio (3.31:1) in the 13-14 MY cars. That put the revs at ~6,600 rpm at 60 mph.

Ford also used a slightly lower 2nd gear ratio in the 13-14 transmission than the 07-12 transmission as well (1.82 vs 1.78). As a result the 1-2 gear change should have improved in the 13-14, but there were still complaints, just to a lesser degree. The change in the 1-2 shift with 2.97 gear is a 40% drop in rpm. It is a big jump. The 2.66 1st to 2nd gear change is only a 32% drop. So if you shift at 6,500 rpm, the drop to 2nd would slow rpm to 3,900 rpm with the lower 2.97 gear ratio. The higher 1st gear in the 13-14 would come in at a drop to 4,420 rpm in 2nd.

I installed a 2013 transmission in my car because I liked the later transmission ratios better and it had a slightly higher torque rating. I really did not get a grind with either transmission, but I don't power shift the car either. My definition of power shift is a no-lift shift. I didn't get really aggressive with shifts for some time after I got the car to break in the new parts which may have been kinder to the synchros. I suspect your new synchros took care of the issue, but the big drop in 1-2 gear shift no doubt contributes to the overall problem.
Sorry, confusing the way I wrote it, the Ford guy who told me that about the tall second gear was hitting 60 in second gear without a shift to third, just one shift not two, to make it quicker. And I shift like you, no WOT speed shifts, but my car was so bad, any quick shift, without a slight delay as Tim said he does, would grind in second even with a hot tranny. The synchros and 2nd gear change worked for me without any other changes, but you certainly know a lot more about all this stuff than me. I don't remember the gearing I went to from 10 years ago, whether it was the same second as the 13-14 but I don't think so, I remember it being a pretty big difference in the second gear ratio from what came in the car. And mine is an SVT so I believe 3.73 gears.

·
Premium Member
2021 GT500 Race Red
1,067 Posts
What is your wife's cousins shop called I got a lot of work I want to do on the car. Looking for tuner and stuff.
I'll have her Call him in Australia to find out She told me he is working at a different shop it is much better. She is busy Today She'll call over the weekend either to him or his Dad. She thought he WAS working in Melbourne, but I believe he's working in or near Sydney. I'll let you know Anthony :)

·
Registered
2011 Shelby GT500
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #34 ·
I'll have her Call him in Australia to find out She told me he is working at a different shop it is much better. She is busy Today She'll call over the weekend either to him or his Dad. She thought he WAS working in Melbourne, but I believe he's working in or near Sydney. I'll let you know Anthony :)
Thank you very much

·
Moderator/Admin Dude!
44,112 Posts
Sorry, confusing the way I wrote it, the Ford guy who told me that about the tall second gear was hitting 60 in second gear without a shift to third, just one shift not two, to make it quicker. And I shift like you, no WOT speed shifts, but my car was so bad, any quick shift, without a slight delay as Tim said he does, would grind in second even with a hot tranny. The synchros and 2nd gear change worked for me without any other changes, but you certainly know a lot more about all this stuff than me. I don't remember the gearing I went to from 10 years ago, whether it was the same second as the 13-14 but I don't think so, I remember it being a pretty big difference in the second gear ratio from what came in the car. And mine is an SVT so I believe 3.73 gears.
Please click your upper right avatar/account settings/vehicle details and enter your car year. It then shows under your screen name, which helps in conversations here. We cover multiple years of the GT500 on this forum. Be sure to click SAVE at the bottom!

Reactions: AZ21GT500

·
Premium Member
2021 GT500 Race Red
1,067 Posts
Unfortunately I'm in Sydney in man.
I ask him if he knows a good shop in Sydney to take your 2011 GT500, he said they're a lot of Older GT500's there. Any other details You want me to pass along Or would like his FB contact to talk directly Anthony?

21 - 39 of 39 Posts