Ford Shelby GT500 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 83 Posts

·
Registered
2010 GT500 Super Snake, Kona blue W/white stripes, CSM10SS0012
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, I’m new to the group. I have a 2010 Super Snake. I’ve recently developed a ticking/tapping noise that I’m trying to troubleshoot. Ford dealer says it’s in the lower end and they want to sell me a long block for $18k. Obviously I don’t want to pay that much and I’d want to keep the numbers matching engine. It’s only got about 1,000 miles since the super snake mod was completed by Shelby. it's also has multiple Spark plug cracks on the outside porcelain and on the electrode ceramic. Any thoughts?

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Here are some pics of the plugs.

·
Moderator/Admin Dude!
2020 CFTP Rapid Red! 2011 Kona Blue/white
34,235 Posts
Hello, I’m new to the group. I have a 2010 Super Snake. I’ve recently developed a ticking/tapping noise that I’m trying to troubleshoot. Ford dealer says it’s in the lower end and they want to sell me a long block for $18k. Obviously I don’t want to pay that much and I’d want to keep the numbers matching engine. It’s only got about 1,000 miles since the super snake mod was completed by Shelby. it's also has multiple Spark plug cracks on the outside porcelain and on the electrode ceramic. Any thoughts? View attachment 205576
Welcome to the forum! That is a gorgeous car!

A couple questions... did you ever add a wide band sensor and gauge to monitor the air/fuel ratio? Also, is the car driven frequently or does it sit with old gas for awhile?

Thanks for introducing yourself and showing us that beautiful Super Snake. We encourage everyone to put their first name in their signature to make this place more friendly. I tweaked your title to hopefully get you more exposure. If you don’t get help in our new member section, make a thread in our problems/dealer service area. Holler if you need any forum assistance.

Reactions: Dajamazz

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Welcome to the forum! That is a gorgeous car!

A couple questions... did you ever add a wide band sensor and gauge to monitor the air/fuel ratio? Also, is the car driven frequently or does it sit with old gas for awhile?

Thanks for introducing yourself and showing us that beautiful Super Snake. We encourage everyone to put their first name in their signature to make this place more friendly. I tweaked your title to hopefully get you more exposure. If you don’t get help in our new member section, make a thread in our problems/dealer service area. Holler if you need any forum assistance.
I didn’t put the sensor in. The Shelby guys are telling me the spark plug damage is due to it possibly running lean. The gas is not old, I drive the car at least 3-4 times per month. I always buy Costco premium gas, which is top tier. Thanks for the comment!

Dave in Wichita

·
Moderator/Admin Dude!
34,235 Posts
I didn’t put the sensor in. The Shelby guys are telling me the spark plug damage is due to it possibly running lean. The gas is not old, I drive the car at least 3-4 times per month. I always buy Costco premium gas, which is top tier. Thanks for the comment!

Dave in Wichita
Running lean was exactly what I was thinking. A wide band sensor and a gauge or a more conservative tune (or both) would have saved it. Hopefully someone more knowledgeable than I am (@Catmonkey) on damaged engines/rebuilds comes along for advice.

Unless you have a hole in your block, you can do a fairly easy rebuild. You have an iron block that can be honed and rebuilt.

For what it’s worth, a friend of mine with a 2013 Super Snake cooked his engine running lean as well. He has a whole new built engine now. You’d think engines/tunes coming out of Shelby American would have a little more safety padding.

Reactions: Evil_E

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
Just to add some more detail...the ford dealer borescoped the motor and found no damage in the cylinders and they took off the valve covers to inspect the valve train as well,with no obvious damage. I was thinking it sounded like a bad lifter, but they didn’t think so, but I’m not really convinced they're not just trying to sell me an expensive long block. Dave

·
Moderator/Admin Dude!
34,235 Posts
Just to add some more detail...the ford dealer borescoped the motor and found no damage in the cylinders and they took off the valve covers to inspect the valve train as well,with no obvious damage. I was thinking it sounded like a bad lifter, but they didn’t think so, but I’m not really convinced they're not just trying to sell me a pen expensive long block. Dave View attachment 205582
I am no “engine guy,” but a bad lifter will not close the gap on a spark plug. You have detonation, from running lean or running bad gas.

Reactions: BostonDave

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Goose17, Actually that ceramic piece up against the electrode is loose and moves, and it’s missing altogether in the other plug. I agree with your analysis of lean operation possibly caused by bad gas though. Dave

·
Premium Member
2012 SVTPP with a heavy dose of 2013 components
7,595 Posts
On first glance, I'd say you have a dentonation issue, but zooming in on those spark plugs, I'm not sure what's going on. The ground strap on the lower plug looks like it was impacted by something in the cylinder. Ground straps won't smash into the electrode like that unless it's hit by something bouncing around in the cylinder. Detonation can break the porcelin like the top plug. A borescope would enable you to see something like that. As far as what you're hearing, without being able to hear it, I have no idea, but when I hear the word tick, I think valvetrain. Knock on the other hand is reciprocating assembly. If it were me, with so little clues and some scary shit going on with the plugs, I'd run compression test and send an oil sample to Blackstone labs for analysis. Post the number off the plugs. They appear to be NGK iridiums. Also, if you have a flash tool (i.e. programmer) see if there are any stored codes. I'd also inquire of Shelby what sort of warranty they have, if you've only got 1,000 miles on this conversion. How many total miles on the car?

Can you tell us how you came to discover the plug issie? Was it running bad, or was it simply because of the noise that you came to make inquiries. Did you recall any real abuse to the engine while you were driving it. Just because you use premium, doesn't mean it has the octane the car needs. If the car sits for long periods on a tank of gas, it's going to lose octane. It's not a good idea to go WOT is you suspect gas in the tank is a month so old.

·
Registered
4,615 Posts
On first glance, I'd say you have a dentonation issue, but zooming in on those spark plugs, I'm not sure what's going on. The ground strap on the lower plug looks like it was impacted by something in the cylinder. Ground straps won't smash into the electrode like that unless it's hit by something bouncing around in the cylinder. Detonation can break the porcelin like the top plug. A borescope would enable you to see something like that. As far as what you're hearing, without being able to hear it, I have no idea, but when I hear the word tick, I think valvetrain. Knock on the other hand is reciprocating assembly. If it were me, with so little clues and some scary shit going on with the plugs, I'd run compression test and send an oil sample to Blackstone labs for analysis. Post the number off the plugs. They appear to be NGK iridiums. Also, if you have a flash tool (i.e. programmer) see if there are any stored codes. I'd also inquire of Shelby what sort of warranty they have, if you've only got 1,000 miles on this conversion. How many total miles on the car?

Can you tell us how you came to discover the plug issie? Was it running bad, or was it simply because of the noise that you came to make inquiries. Did you recall any real abuse to the engine while you were driving it. Just because you use premium, doesn't mean it has the octane the car needs. If the car sits for long periods on a tank of gas, it's going to lose octane. It's not a good idea to go WOT is you suspect gas in the tank is a month so old.
I agree Cat, for those straps to be pushed/bent against the electrode, it looks like some contact. Contact would also explain the loose insulators.

OP - I see your 2010 has been built since 2012?........with the Modulare 3-piece wheels? Looks Nice!..........Originally a 2010 build would have been an Alcoa car.

R

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
Cat, I got a misfire code on #6 originally, and I found a cracked plug, but it was cracked on the Porcelain outside of the cylinder. Shelby sent me a whole new set of NGK plugs. At that time I changed just #6. Changing to the NGK plug fixed that issue. But then I got the ticking noise after going WOT once not long after filling up my gas tank. So I took it in to the local ford dealer after consulting with Shelby and they found multiple broken plugs. So I had them put in the rest of the NGK plugs. Shelby said they installed these Denso plugs (IT22) because they were supplied by Whipple with the supercharger however Shelby prefers the NGK plugs.

I’m definitely planning on getting second and third opinions. I plan on getting another listen with a stethoscope and a compression check this weekend. I’m gonna try and drain all that gas out and replace with a higher octane just to check.

Robert, Yes, I would’ve liked to have had the Alcoa wheels for sure.

Dave

Attachments

·
Registered
4,615 Posts
I’m definitely getting second and third opinions. I plan on getting another listen with a stethoscope and a compression check this weekend. I’m gonna try and drain all that gas out and replace with a higher octane just to check.

Robert, Yes, I would’ve liked to have had the Alcoa wheels for sure.

Dave
When was your car built?

R

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
The super snake mod was done last fall, I picked it up in December 2019. Or do you mean built by Ford? That would be sometime between August - December of 2009. It was delivered to me in January of 2010 In Germany. i don’t know the exact build date.

·
Premium Member
2012 SVTPP with a heavy dose of 2013 components
7,595 Posts
I wouldn't beat on the car with fresh gas. You might see if you can find a local mustang tuner that can datalog the car. I'd want to know if the plugs are damaged by the tune. If timing isn't an issue, you can probably assume bad gas. That doesn't explain your ticking noise. Like I mentioned, send the oil out for analysis. They can determine if there are more metals or other alloys than should be in the oil for your mileage. Doesn't Shelby put a real oil pressure gauge in the car? What sort of oil pressure are you seeing at idle and crusie?

Blackstone Laboratories | Oil Analysis - Learn What's Going On In Your Engine

·
Registered
4,615 Posts
The super snake mod was done last fall, I picked it up in December 2019. Or do you mean built by Ford? That would be sometime between August - December of 2009. It was delivered to me in January of 2010 In Germany. i don’t know the exact build date.
No, I meant the Shelby Super Snake build. That is the Shelby/Ford Racing Whipple option? 800HP?

R

·
Registered
4,615 Posts
I wouldn't beat on the car with fresh gas. You might see if you can find a local mustang tuner that can datalog the car. I'd want to know if the plugs are damaged by the tune. If timing isn't an issue, you can probably assume bad gas. That doesn't explain your ticking noise. Like I mentioned, send the oil out for analysis. They can determine if there are more metals or other alloys than should be in the oil for your mileage. Doesn't Shelby put a real oil pressure gauge in the car? What sort of oil pressure are you seeing at idle and crusie?

Blackstone Laboratories | Oil Analysis - Learn What's Going On In Your Engine
Yes, the 2010 should have the A-pillar mounted 2-1/16" CS signature CF gauges including Oil Pressure, Boost and Fuel Pressure.

R

·
Registered
4,615 Posts
So what would cause piston to spark plug contact (if that is what happened)? I know back in the "old days" alum. rods could stretch, but what on our cars would cause such a situation? something got down in the combustion chamber? failure of a rod bearing? <<<but that would be more than a "tap".....it would be a knock.....

^^^^All of this is assuming the correct length spark plugs are installed, which I am guessing Shelby gapped and installed?

R

1 - 20 of 83 Posts