Ford Shelby GT500 Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Premium Member
534 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Newbie here, just picked up my second GT500. The first was a 2007 white with blue stripes. This one is the Grabber Blue with white stripes. The first I left completly stock. This is a secondary (play) car.

I wanted to get some feed back on what can or should be done to modify the ride.

I have searched the web and cannot seem to find too much for the 2010. I would assume that this is a problem for the new model.

Of course there is the Super Snake option but I can think of about million other projects to drop 30K on.

Some of the mods that I would like to do:

1. Lowered
2. New tires and rims
3. More Horse Power
4. Better Suspension
Oh and yes the Super Charger is much more quiter than the 07, I pulled the airfilter etc in search of the new patetend resignator. It is part of the air intake and cannot be removed. Possibly there is or soon will be a after market part.

And last but not least tuning. I have seen several times where owners have had there GT's "re tuned" after break in. How, Where, Why.

I am located in DFW.

Any assitance and guidance will be appreciated.

·
Registered
160 Posts
I also have a 2010 shelby,black with silver, in the mod shop right now. Also my second shelby and it is getting the ford racing handling pack which lowers the car and gives the car better handling, 20 inch shelby CS40's with nitto drag radials, tvs with 2.6 pulley and IW 10 percent balancer pulley, new inlet tube from VMP tuning, headers, catted x pipe, frpp mufflers, aluminum driveshaft with loop, short throw shifter and a few other mods hoping to get close to 700 rwhp.

·
Premium Member
534 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Who is doing your MOD's? Ford or a customer shop? And thank you for replying to my post.

·
Premium Member
534 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
That should be custom shop not customer????

·
Registered
867 Posts
I thought the Ford Racing handling pack came standard on the 2010?

·
Registered
160 Posts
Ford racing still offers the handling pack for the 2010 shelbys so I assume they are different parts. The parts were off my 09 so I figured I might as well reuse them. The parts are being installed by a local, reputable mod shop in maryland.

·
Premium Member
328 Posts
From what I understand this car feels completly different than the 07-09 models.Much better handling and no more wheel hop.Less mods to get performance desired,But I am not trading-I love my diamond in the rough.

·
Premium Member
534 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I had a 2007 and now of course the 2010. I really pampered the 07 and I am treating this one a little rougher. Yes still has wheel hop.

Anyone else willing to put up suggestions for MODS on the 2010?

There is SOOOOO much out there to read about.

What mods would be the best?

What manufactures should I stay away from?

·
Registered
35 Posts
My 2010 is in the shop right now (Alternative Auto in Michigan) and I am taking the mods a step at a time. I like to drag race so for now I'm doing the easy steps.

Wheels: 18" Centerline REV, 7" front and 9.5" rear (being built)
Tires: 215 front and 305 M/T DR in the bag (the tall ones)
One piece aluminum drive shaft- 19 lbs. ( 2-piece stocker is 48 lbs!)
C&L intake (yes, the 2010 is good but C&L should be marginally better)
4:10 rear gear
Line-Loc
Tuning

I want to run it this way first then make further changes. I figure I'm dropping about 100 lbs. of unsprung wieght. That should help. I'm hoping good tires/traction eliminates hop before resorting to uppers and lowers. Should get dyno numbers from tuning literally tomorrow. I want to try and use as much of the power available before adding much more. I do NOT plan on caging the car so I will be happy with mid to low 11's.

Here's some things to ponder if going all out. The Whipple 2.9 with a Cobra Jet throttle body and intake is a SWEET set-up. It will make 700 rwhp probably without exhaust mods. That's a sweet simple bolt on! Kenne Bell has a stout kit as well.

Good luck with your quest and keep us posted. Here is a PhotoChop of my car with wheels and tires proving that yes I have the sickness too. LOL

Attachments

·
Premium Member
534 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks for the response, the car looks GREAT. I have the same grabber blue.

Spoke with the local Shelby Shop to inquire about MODS and they are really pushing the SS package. Thye feel best bag for the buck. Still researching that thought, maybe will start another thread.

Let us know your DYNO results.

·
Registered
547 Posts
I do NOT plan on caging the car so I will be happy with mid to low 11's.
Unless the rules have changed since I quit drag racing a few years ago, 11.99 and quicker required a roll cage at NHRA tracks or 11.49 and quicker at IHRA tracks so if you plan on racing and running quicker than 12 flat you'll need to look into the specific requirements of the track you plan on running at. 11.49 may be your limit.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Unless the rules have changed since I quit drag racing a few years ago, 11.99 and quicker required a roll cage at NHRA tracks or 11.49 and quicker at IHRA tracks so if you plan on racing and running quicker than 12 flat you'll need to look into the specific requirements of the track you plan on running at. 11.49 may be your limit.
Rules have changed. NHRA and IHRA are 11.49 for a 6 point. We can thank the OEM's for basically selling 11 second cars off the showroom floor. 11.50 is fine for the Shelby. I've got other stuff that's caged and goes faster.:)

·
Registered
547 Posts
Well I don't think you'll have to do too much to get the car to 11.50 then. Have fun and be safe. :)

·
Premium Member
42 Posts
Thanks for the response, the car looks GREAT. I have the same grabber blue.

Spoke with the local Shelby Shop to inquire about MODS and they are really pushing the SS package. Thye feel best bag for the buck. Still researching that thought, maybe will start another thread.

Let us know your DYNO results.
I am 99% sure the SS from Shelby Auto's is a renamed KB 2.8 liter blower. I have the 2.8 KB and exhaust mods and am at 688 WRHP. The cheapest car to mod I have ever owned!

Mike

1 - 14 of 14 Posts