Ford Shelby GT500 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I finally got my Gen3 in and installed.

Waiting for it to arrive was a long and disappointing process. Disappointing because I waited a couple weeks for a fitting so VMP could ship my kit, disappointing because I never received a shipped notification from VMP or Lethal Performance and arrived home to find a $2.7K blower on my door step, disappointed because they could have included a shirt, either company, since I had to wait weeks for it to ship and finally, disappointed because there were NO instructions with the kit.

INSTALL Lessons Learned: Remove the battery box to access the EGR pipe, which you need to loosen from BOTH the header and the Valve itself. I had to remove the pipe and bend/tweak it to fit. The Gen3 install video that VMP pointed me to, helped only 80%. Use the included gold-colored bolt that came with the kit, as the rear left bolt, the fitting that bolts onto the blower that accepts a vacuum line had the wrong end on it that I had to modify or wait until Mon and VMP is closed on weekends. Total crap that they couldn’t provide written instructions with the kit. Come on, it’s 2020 FFS!! I can’t stress that enough. If you can’t tell, I’m kinda disappointed with the no instructions thing...

DRIVE: The start-up gave me a heart attack as it did. not. want. to. start!! After a couple cranks, it seemed like the engine locked up. I took the blower belt off and turned it by hand. It turned easily. My neighbor was over to watch the first start so he helped me check things out. He asked if the battery was changed, it was as I had and left the charger on it when I had timed it the day before. I put the belt back on it and it turned over fine. Once it started, it spitted and sputtered for a bit. I assumed it was the fuel rails and the new injectors filling up and bleeding the air out of the system. I did install a BAP, injectors and blower at one time. Once it cranked, it acted like it wanted to die. Idled around 600 with dips to 250ish RPMs. Took it for a 5 mile loop and by the time I pulled back into the driveway, everything had smoothed out, including the idle. Keep in mind that I only have a tune loaded to get me to my tuner so I stayed out of boost, mostly. I did hit 7 psi for a split second and it caught me by surprise how easily it as I wasn’t really on the throttle at all.

IMPRESSIONS: This spot saved for after I drive home from my tuner on Sat. He is 3 hours away so I will have plenty of time to try out the new set-up. Dyno numbers/chart will be posted sometime after I get home. Hoping for 680ish.

Setup is: Gen3 with 2.8” pulley, factory balancer, 1000cc injectors, 65mm Ford throttle body, 127mm JLT CAI, Kenne Bell BAP, no cats, aluminum driveshaft and Corsa Sport axle backs.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
2007 GT500 Torch Red/White custom
1,003 Posts
Looking forward to your review

·
Moderator/Admin Dude!
2020 Rapid Red/black 2011 Kona Blue/white
29,807 Posts
Thanks for sharing the info with your fellow forum members! 🍻

Install/mod battles are not always as easy as they first appear. Congrats on the success.

·
Registered
2009 gt500 ported tvs 700hp, 1970 mach1 408 stroked, 1997 cobra awesome
42 Posts
Well hopefully after the trials and tribulations you get the good results you have hoped. Nodding always brings surprises. I’m with you with everything always sends a YouTube link for instructions like we have a tv mounted under the hood and they always skip the important parts lol

·
Registered
6,858 Posts
Hopefully you found the intake manifold mod video on youtube. That was the only intimidating part of the install for me, but I've swapped superchargers numerous times at this point. I wish someone would come up with an EGR tube with a flexible joint.

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Hopefully you found the intake manifold mod video on youtube. That was the only intimidating part of the install for me, but I've swapped superchargers numerous times at this point. I wish someone would come up with an EGR tube with a flexible joint.
I watched several of the manifold mod videos. After drilling out the tower with the provided bit and cleaning it up with a dreamer, the blower wouldn’t fit. I still had to trim the tower back about 1mm.

I am soooo over that damn EGR tube. Why don’t they have a stainless steel flexible hose?!?!

·
Registered
1,191 Posts
Nice. 700+

;)

·
Registered
76 Posts
I'm definitely interested how this turns out for you. I'm a big believer in initial impressions because short of something being a complete and utter failure, I seem to forget any issues I had with a mod or install down the road and thus establish a false impression.

A set of printed, understandable instructions seems to me to be a pretty basic thing to expect after spending a lot of money and at least a slightly more difficult 'install' then putting air in a tire......I'm amazed how badly they failed providing that.

·
Registered
4,318 Posts
Sorry to hear about all the BS with the shipping and install.

You should see your 680 with that set up...gonna be NASCAR Loud and smell like Pit Lane with no CATS and the Corsa Sports...been there done that.

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Sorry to hear about all the BS with the shipping and install.

You should see your 680 with that set up...gonna be NASCAR Loud and smell like Pit Lane with no CATS and the Corsa Sports...been there done that.
On the quick drive, it actually sounded quieter. Granted, this was during normal driving with RPM’s between 1k-3K. During downshifts, the was no more popping/crackling and the overall tone sounded more muted.

We will see how she sounds under boost.

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Update:

When my car was initially tuned a couple years ago, it seemed to be down on power compared to other GT500’s with comparable. Example: factory blower with 2.4 pulley, CAI, and Ford dual 65mm throttle body, I was making 535hp. Removed the cats, added Flowmaster axlebacks and gained no HP. It was weird. I did check compression, they all read the same, even though as a whole they seemed to be a bit low, around 135psi.

Fast forward to today and the numbers I have. According to the Dyno, the Gen3 was making 20psi at 6500 rpm. Dan spent the first hour setting up the car and tracking down a bad fuel pressure sensor that was causing havoc with the ECU until it finally threw a code. Luckily, the local Ford dealer actually had the part in stock and the dealer was 7 minutes away.

All in all, I’m very happy. The car pulls much harder and wears the tires out even with traction control on. It did not lose a bit of every day drivability. I look forward to running the car against a buddy to gauge the actual improvement vs seat of the pants feel.

I will also get it on the track but as I was spinning before the upgrade, it may be pointless to compare numbers. BUT, it should be fun!!!

I can’t wait to catch some unaware Camaro SS, ZL1 and Hellcat owners on the road.

·
Registered
2009 gt500 ported tvs 700hp, 1970 mach1 408 stroked, 1997 cobra awesome
42 Posts
Great numbers just don’t miss a shift on that hellcat 😂 lol. Dan did you go to ft mill? I’m not too far from there in upstate sc there’s quite a few of us we need to do a roll call and do a cruise in one day

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Great numbers just don’t miss a shift on that hellcat lol. Dan did you go to ft mill? I’m not too far from there in upstate sc there’s quite a few of us we need to do a roll call and do a cruise in one day
Yeah Man. Dan at Pro Dyno. Took me 2.5hrs to get there from Fayetteville NC.

·
Moderator/Admin Dude!
29,807 Posts
Update:

When my car was initially tuned a couple years ago, it seemed to be down on power compared to other GT500’s with comparable. Example: factory blower with 2.4 pulley, CAI, and Ford dual 65mm throttle body, I was making 535hp. Removed the cats, added Flowmaster axlebacks and gained no HP. It was weird. I did check compression, they all read the same, even though as a whole they seemed to be a bit low, around 135psi.

Fast forward to today and the numbers I have. According to the Dyno, the Gen3 was making 20psi at 6500 rpm. Dan spent the first hour setting up the car and tracking down a bad fuel pressure sensor that was causing havoc with the ECU until it finally threw a code. Luckily, the local Ford dealer actually had the part in stock and the dealer was 7 minutes away.

All in all, I’m very happy. The car pulls much harder and wears the tires out even with traction control on. It did not lose a bit of every day drivability. I look forward to running the car against a buddy to gauge the actual improvement vs seat of the pants feel.

I will also get it on the track but as I was spinning before the upgrade, it may be pointless to compare numbers. BUT, it should be fun!!!

I can’t wait to catch some unaware Camaro SS, ZL1 and Hellcat owners on the road.

Congrats on the successful power upgrade! What rear tires are you running?

Also, since you don’t have a signature with your car info, what year is your Shelby again?

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Congrats on the successful power upgrade! What rear tires are you running?

Also, since you don’t have a signature with your car info, what year is your Shelby again?
Mine is a 2010 GT500. I’m running BFG Sport Comp 2 in a 305x30x20. My plan is to add a new tire, possibly a new rim. I haven’t decided on which brand...Mickey Thompson, Nittos, etc etc. I’d still like to have some wheel spin, for equipment life but nowhere near the spin I have now.

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Couple more points to note. 1) the pronounced S/C whine that was present with the stock Eaton and a 2.4 pulley is absolutely and total gone. Not even a hint of whine can be heard in the cabin. Kinda cool if you want to run under the radar, as much as I can with Corsa Sports, kind of a bummer as it was a very entertaining part of the GT500.

2) Probably the most surprising is that the new crossover fuel hose is hitting the hood... not just hitting but pinned between the hood and the top of the blower. I removed the insulation, thinking this would free up some space and it didn’t make a difference. As far as I know, the S/C should be absolutely fine with the stock hood and that does not seem to be the case with my car. I’m interested to see if anybody else has the same issue. I may start another thread, depending on responses to this one.

·
Moderator/Admin Dude!
29,807 Posts
Couple more points to note. 1) the pronounced S/C whine that was present with the stock Eaton and a 2.4 pulley is absolutely and total gone. Not even a hint of whine can be heard in the cabin. Kinda cool if you want to run under the radar, as much as I can with Corsa Sports, kind of a bummer as it was a very entertaining part of the GT500.

2) Probably the most surprising is that the new crossover fuel hose is hitting the hood... not just hitting but pinned between the hood and the top of the blower. I removed the insulation, thinking this would free up some space and it didn’t make a difference. As far as I know, the S/C should be absolutely fine with the stock hood and that does not seem to be the case with my car. I’m interested to see if anybody else has the same issue. I may start another thread, depending on responses to this one.
TVS supercharger are known to be quiet. As for your fuel line hitting the hood, options that I know of are to reroute it in front of or behind supercharger or lower your engine.

I have a 2.9 Whipple with the stock crossover fuel line. My hood insulation is also removed and nothing rubs.

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
TVS supercharger are known to be quiet. As for your fuel line hitting the hood, options that I know of are to reroute it in front of or behind supercharger or lower your engine.

I have a 2.9 Whipple with the stock crossover fuel line. My hood insulation is also removed and nothing rubs.
@Goose17

My tuner was surprised that it was even close, much less rubbing. He looked under the car and through the wheel wells to see what could be causing the blower to be that close to the hood.

·
Registered
4,318 Posts
Update:

On what octane?

1 - 20 of 20 Posts