Ford Shelby GT500 Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just purchased a 2010 Shelby GT 500, One Day after purchasing the vehicle the battery was dead. The vehicle only has 14,000 miles so I replaced the battery but again after about 8 hours of the vehicle sitting the battery died again. The charging system is functioning correctly so I’m stumped on what is draining the battery so fast 🤷‍♂️

·
Moderator/Admin Dude!
2020 CFTP Rapid Red! 2011 Kona Blue/white
35,264 Posts
I just purchased a 2010 Shelby GT 500, One Day after purchasing the vehicle the battery was dead. The vehicle only has 14,000 miles so I replaced the battery but again after about 8 hours of the vehicle sitting the battery died again. The charging system is functioning correctly so I’m stumped on what is draining the battery so fast 🤷‍♂️
Welcome to the forum! Congrats on your 2010... sorry for the problem. Hopefully we can get it solved for you.

We have seen a few of these threads through the years. While it can be anything causing the draw, more often than not, it is the stereo. Try pulling any fuses associated with the stereo to see if the drain stops.

Also, if you are up for introducing yourself and showing us your ride, you’ll find our new member area here:

·
Registered
91 Posts
I had a similar issue and it was my Shaker stereo system causing the problem

·
Registered
91 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
So I have narrowed it down to the stereo system. By pulling the radio fuse located inside on the firewall is the only way I can keep the battery charged. I really don't want to put an aftermarket unit in there. Is there anyway to power off the radio without removing the fuse? I thought that I had read on one of the mustang sites about some sort of relay you could put.

·
Moderator/Admin Dude!
35,264 Posts
So I have narrowed it down to the stereo system. By pulling the radio fuse located inside on the firewall is the only way I can keep the battery charged. I really don't want to put an aftermarket unit in there. Is there anyway to power off the radio without removing the fuse? I thought that I had read on one of the mustang sites about some sort of relay you could put.
Glad you found it!

I don’t know of any way to de-power the unit aside from pulling the fuse. If the draw is an amplifier issue, you could unplug the harness to the amp.

If I were you, I’d install a nice aftermarket unit that works with your steering wheel controls... Crutchfield would be my first stop.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
From what I read I can't really put an aftermarket unit in there because the present unit controls my thermostat controllers.

·
Moderator/Admin Dude!
35,264 Posts
From what I read I can't really put an aftermarket unit in there because the present unit controls my thermostat controllers.
Didn’t know you have nav. If the problem is in your head unit, you don’t have many options. If the problem is an amp, you can get aftermarket amps and speakers to tie into your OEM head unit.

·
Registered
69 Posts
I also shut off the radio before storing the car until the next ride and I've noticed if Ieave the key in the switch for a day or more, the battery is too low to start next time I get in it.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I have 2010 GT500 with a near identical issue, difference is mine drains after about 10 days. I know this doesn't fix the problem in the long term but I hook mine up to a battery tender when its in the garage. Haven't had a dead battery since.

·
Premium Member
2008 Vapor/Black Coupe
1,896 Posts
Wow, kind of surprised idatalink doesn't work for you. I know American Muscle used to make aftermarket radios to fit like stock, not sure if they have one that may work with the nav unit...

1 - 14 of 14 Posts