Ford Shelby GT500 Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have the"major products changes" for the 2010 and it shows the EDR (black box) as a functional equipment change. Does anyone know what this does. Can it be de-programed? What is it used for? etc etc. I am really concerned about big brother watching.

Thanks

·
Registered
658 Posts
I have the"major products changes" for the 2010 and it shows the EDR (black box) as a functional equipment change. Does anyone know what this does. Can it be de-programed? What is it used for? etc etc. I am really concerned about big brother watching.

Thanks
It is used for data retrieval after a collision, kind of like an airliner's black box.
It provides data logging related to braking, accelerating, miles per hour, seat belt usage, abs failures etc.
Oh, and yes if you are at fault, the other guys lawyer may subpoena results from this unit.
You think big brother is watching now, wait till OBD 3 comes to town! Lots more data tracking will be in that baby..............
Stay Tuned!

·
Premium Member
328 Posts
The Black box has been a problem for the GTR owners-Alot of transmission problems not covered under warranty because of "Hard Launches".I think this smart gizmo will decrease warranty coverage for alot of owners.

·
#1 Mike!
2019 Shelby GT350
10,069 Posts
I may be wrong, but I believe these types of data recorders have been in Ford cars since at least 2003 or possibly earlier. Police have been able to retrieve info from them, with a search warrant, for some time now. The instruments can also support you if you are wrongfully accused of speeding etc. prior to a crash. I'm retired law enforcement and I still don't like them; too Orwellian.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I really think that you hit it on the head. It isnt that we spend our lives running away from bad things that we have done. Probably minor traffic offenses are more of our worse crimes. It is simply one more thing that is IMO eroding life in general.
I think that there are a couple of parts to this issue. I am not sure how Fords system works. They have really avoided answering my question. But some systems just save 15 or so seconds before airbag deployment and other records everything forever it seems. It would be nice for some techie in the group to really explain the system.
That being said. I did some searches and have found one or two recording data disabling options. Not sure that I would try what was recommended. You really can not disable as all of the airbags etc are part of the systems. I still am searching the web. There has to be a 15 year old kid out there that has figured it out. Ha.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts