Ford Shelby GT500 Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
75 Posts
I have been looking into replacing the factory Radio/Nav unit with something a little more modern.
I came across this unit on Ebay-
(Mustang) OE-Style GPS Navigation w/ Bluetooth & Back-Up Camera (05-09 All) | eBay

Has anyone bought one of these and are you happy with it?
Thanks- Mike
I've never seen that one before, but I can't really imagine ever having an aftermarket radio installed in my car without seeing it (and messing around with it) in person. I was really surprised how the Kenwood I put in my Toyota Tacomoa that I initially really liked (a few years ago), now I almost HATE. I was happy as all get out with it initially, but after upgrading the stock radio in my GT before I sold it, I realized how slow the Tacoma one was to boot up and get any sort of output from it (I literally can almost drive completely out of my neighborhood before I get either the radio to play or music off of a usb drive I have plugged in, much less all the other improvements most radio's have installed since). Again, initially I didnt notice any shortcomings since it was still a nice step up from the factory radio that was in the truck. I really only noticed when put an EXTREMELY nice Kenwood double din radio in my GT (Kenwood 893S), and hearing music before I was completely backed out of my garage as I was leaving. That was when I realized how lacking the other radio I had purchased actually was (before selling my GT, I actually returned the entire sound system back to stock minus the shelby speakers I had purchased and installed, so that same Kenwood is being installed in my GT500 tomorrow possibly along with a backup camera).

I would suggest at the very least to find a local radio place that has that exact model so you can experiment with it to make sure its exactly what you want and expect to get from a radio changeout. Then, if you still really like it, that is when I'd consider pulling the plug on the online one if its cheaper then one you can find locally.

That all being said, I'm talking about aftermarket radio's and not anything remotely like the stock ones that came in our cars. My apologies if your concentrating on something resembling 'stock' instead of aftermarket.

·
Registered
2009 gt500 ported tvs 700hp, 1970 mach1 408 stroked, 1997 cobra awesome
42 Posts
That radio looks sweet. I went to crutchfield and bought the adapter that makes your factory nav unit have the Bluetooth and hands free I enjoy it I know I don’t have a new radio but with shaker 1000 I was just missing the Bluetooth capabilities now I have them and still factory radio

·
Registered
42 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The radio I asked about that was on Ebay is available from American Muscle. Not much information available on it. However, I decided to go with a Pioneer AVH 2400 NEX. Installed on a 2007 GT with Shaker 1000 system this ran about $400 including adapters , cables, etc. It's my wife's car and it will provide Bluetooth, Car Play , Ipod connectivity , XM ready, and plays CD's . If this works out well I will also install in my 09 GT-500. Installation will be when the weather breaks and both cars are out of winter layup. I will report back on acoustic improvement after installation.

·
Premium Member
2007 GT500 Torch Red/White custom
1,003 Posts
You will like it. Very versatile head unit. I have the avh-4200 nex and it is a great unit. Just recently installed a backup camera on it.

·
Registered
42 Posts
That pioneer will definitely be a nice upgrade might not appear as stealth but like you said cannot find a whole lot of info on the other. I put a Kenwood ddx9906 in my 70 mach1 it sounds great and very easy to navigate. Just make you happy lol.

·
Registered
4,344 Posts
I have been looking into replacing the factory Radio/Nav unit with something a little more modern.
I came across this unit on Ebay-
(Mustang) OE-Style GPS Navigation w/ Bluetooth & Back-Up Camera (05-09 All) | eBay

Has anyone bought one of these and are you happy with it?
Thanks- Mike
There are some mixed reviews about this radio on American Muscle. It catches my attention because I would like to keep the oem look as much as possible but add an updated head when I install the Shelby/Kicker speaker/amp audio upgrade that I recently assembled for my 2008.

Like you, I would like to update mine, which is the Shaker 1000 (back then it was either S1000 or NAV, but not both), I am not a music/electronics guru, but it would be nice to at least have a screen.....and the look to "blend in" and not be noticed when the passenger cabin is viewed.

Thank you for adding the link.

R

·
Registered
2008 GT500 Vert - Red
19 Posts
I bought a cheap eBay one and have been pretty happy with it. I even have dash command on it.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts