Ford Shelby GT500 Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
An ebay auction just showed up today for a 2009 GT500. The way the auction reads, the dealer has a 2009 GT500 in stock for a BIN just under the sticker price. Over the last week, even the dealers who have been stuck at $5,000 over sticker have dropped their prices $2,000 to $3,000. This new auction may push these pirates to lower their prices to sticker. Here in Texas, these are the same dealers who just laughed at me a few months ago when I told them I wouldn't pay their ransom. Ended up paying $46,500 which was still over sticker.

·
Registered
547 Posts
What I find funny is that I was at a dealer yesterday and they had a brand new '08 red/white GT500 for sticker. They also had a used '07 black/black w/14k miles on it for just $500 under the price for the new '08 and another used '07 white/blue convertible w/7k miles on it for more than the new '08! My wife and I were trying to figure out how that was even possible that they came up with those numbers on the used cars when they had a new one on the lot for sticker. They must have given too much for a trade-in on the two used ones or something, though I couldn't ever see that happening either. There's a lot of these used GT500's on dealer's lots still asking for more than sticker when they were new so I can only imagine they must have given too much for the vehicles on trade or something thinking the market would continue to hold out. I watch the prices all the time and the only ones that are selling are the ones in private hands that are willing to take a loss on the car or the dealer that has a really low reserve also likely because they didn't give much in trade value. I have a feeling that a lot of these dealers may have made 10-20k$ on these cars when they were new with the ADM, but are now going to be losing that money thinking the market was going to hold out. I guess what goes around, comes around and I suspect the ADM came around to bite these dealers in the behind with all the used GT500's I see sitting on the lots across the country and the many dealers now selling the new cars at sticker or below to move them off the lot.

·
Registered
298 Posts
yes I agree. As long as Ford continues to produce the GT500, prices will drop to sticker and below sticker as demand decreases and dealer inventories increase.

·
Registered
547 Posts
The other thing to remember is that a lot of the people who bought these cars aren't truly Ford only people. I think a lot of the people just like any performance car and had to have the new toy on the block so to speak no matter what badging it had. With the new Challenger coming out many have gone to that and I'm sure when the new Camaro comes out they'll switch over to that new car or the next new Corvette, Viper etc.... They'll likely even come back if Ford comes out with another new Cobra that is even more powerful than the GT500. I don't have a problem with that though because somebody has to buy the new cars so I can buy the used ones after they are depreciated! :roller:

·
Registered
44 Posts
Just reminder that the dealer doesn't set the price but the retail customer. If you have people willing to purchase over retail, the dealer will sell them at the highest price someone is willing to pay.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts