Ford Shelby GT500 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Some opinions please.....

I currently own an almost stock (CAI/Tune) 2007 Mustang GT that runs high 12's but as we all know speed is addictive. I have a couple of different options.

1. Used Roushcharger, 2.57 Pulley, Idler, CAI (mine wont fit), Wiring Upgrade to Pump and Custom Tune minus what I can get for my JLTII CAI. Roughly $3100 for a car thats maxed out at 11.9 1/4. I suspect some tire and suspension upgrades may be needed as well. The usual bugs to work out with aftermarket mods. But I do know what Im dealing with.

2. New 2009 GT500 White/Blue/Black w/ HID, Ambient Lighting, Premium Trim Package. MSRP $46,195. I can get it for $42,000. My least favorite color combo even if is traditional. Heavy. Dont have any seat time / familiarity with one to say how we would get along.

So how is the GT500 to live with day in and day out? Any regrets about buying it? My first car was a 1968 Fastback w/ 390-2V that I swapped to a homebuilt 428CJ (428PI with 427 Low Riser Heads) with the usual bolt-ons so I know rain, wide tires and torque.

Im a blue collar type and even though I can afford it now its difficult to allow myself to spend $42k on a car. If I get it I will use it as a daily driver not a Garage Queen. Im leaning toward the GT500 if I can just find what I did with that combination to my Wallet....

The Tightwad....

Gene

·
Registered
4 Posts
I just bought our 2008 GT500 about 9 months ago, trading in a 2005 Mustang GT.

We have no choice but to use the car as a daily driver. In fact, although we don't put alot of miles on the car, it has a tough life. For any Mustang, let alone a GT500. Groceries, shopping trips, parking lots, home depot, daily short trips, etc etc. Sits in the sun (sadly) all day at work. Then I put the drag radials on it and take it to the track every other weekend.

But, I do take good care of it. Park away from people, wash and wax it, etc. We just don't have the luxury of not driving it. Day to day, the car has performed flawlessly. It is very tame, quiet, and comfortable in normal everyday. I have been very select on the parts I put on it, so that it would be like this.

Are there some things I don't like? YES! Because it is a GT500, we get a lot of grief from other Mustang owners for daily driving/racing it. It gets ALOT of attention (red/white stripes) on the road from everyone and I don't like all the attention. When I race it at the track, I am overly concerned about wrecking it, whereas the GT it was not a concern and more fun. Again, when I race it at the track, expectations are high from everyone there, because it is a GT500 and I have a hard time relaxing while racing and just enjoying the car.

If I had to do it over, would I? I honestly can't say. I think the car is great, but I don't like the attention it draws and I think I could actually have more fun if I supercharged a GT for less money to boot.

·
Registered
36 Posts
What about some other options......such as:

3. Buy a 2007 or 2008 GT500 with low miles (maybe find one in the mid 30's & get your favorite color combo)

4. Put a Kenne Bell or other twin-screw blower on the GT (still cheaper than trading or selling the GT & buying the GT500)

I have had a Kenne Bell 2.6L on my 2006 GT convertible since Dec 2007, and I love it! It has a 10 lb. pulley and 472 rwhp/439rwtq. My buddy has a stock GT500 coupe, and we both agree the GT is noticeably quicker on the seat-of-the-pants meter.

On the other hand, I'd still LOVE to own a GT500 in the future. Right now I have 2 kids to get through college over the next 10 years. My short-term fix is to put a full GT500 body kit on my GT (no cobra emblems or Shelby lettering! :badrazz:) I have a ton of $$$ in this car now, so I may never sell it.

Whatever you decide, more power is always good! :cool:

·
Premium Member
865 Posts
I just bought our 2008 GT500 about 9 months ago, trading in a 2005 Mustang GT.

We have no choice but to use the car as a daily driver. In fact, although we don't put alot of miles on the car, it has a tough life. For any Mustang, let alone a GT500. Groceries, shopping trips, parking lots, home depot, daily short trips, etc etc. Sits in the sun (sadly) all day at work. Then I put the drag radials on it and take it to the track every other weekend.

But, I do take good care of it. Park away from people, wash and wax it, etc. We just don't have the luxury of not driving it. Day to day, the car has performed flawlessly. It is very tame, quiet, and comfortable in normal everyday. I have been very select on the parts I put on it, so that it would be like this.

Are there some things I don't like? YES! Because it is a GT500, we get a lot of grief from other Mustang owners for daily driving/racing it. It gets ALOT of attention (red/white stripes) on the road from everyone and I don't like all the attention. When I race it at the track, I am overly concerned about wrecking it, whereas the GT it was not a concern and more fun. Again, when I race it at the track, expectations are high from everyone there, because it is a GT500 and I have a hard time relaxing while racing and just enjoying the car.

If I had to do it over, would I? I honestly can't say. I think the car is great, but I don't like the attention it draws and I think I could actually have more fun if I supercharged a GT for less money to boot.
Very well put regarding the attention it attracts. I have the same problems with everyone wanting to race me all the time, ask me how fast it is at traffic lights etc.
The worst problem is all the Mustang GT cars that try to goad me into racing so that they can see how fast it runs. Its aint worth the ticket or loss of tire rubber to give one guy a free show, or take the chance of some "wannabe a traffic cop" taking a cell phone video and sending it in to the local cop shop so they can send me a ticket thru the mail next week. These damn cell phones are killing the street scene because everyone with a family in their mini van wants to be "good guy" by calling 911 and making a complaint if you do a burnout from a traffic light.

·
Banned
1,592 Posts
My GT500 is performance white....with no over the top stripes....just the side stripes...and I get very LITTLE attention...lol....though I like being stealth...at times...haha

AND..on Friday....I encountered a new Camaro SS....and a new Challlenger...tried to goad both of them into a little racing....they wouldn't give me the time of day!!!

However, an old guy in a Saturn Sky did rev his engine for me....lol

As far as the car being a daily driver...and keeping it out in the sun....couldn't you put a car cover over it, at least?...the cover that came with my car is very lightweight and easy to handle...and store.....

·
Registered
165 Posts
I test drove my first Mustang back about 2.5 years ago. It was a Mustang GT and I got out of it HATING the car. Terrible stiff ride was the worst of it. But terrible shifter, clutch, and other things bugged me.

That kept me from looking at a Shelby for a long time because I assumed it would be the same. I'm glad I did test drive one because my assumption was way wrong. The GT500 is more than a step up, it is leaps and bounds better in every way.

I daily drive mine (garaged in winter however) and love it more each day.

Performance White with Vista Blue stripes was the ONLY color I would buy. It looks amazing, fits the theme of the car properly, and everyone loves it. If you don't like it, peel the stripes off and stripe it any color you want... only cost you about $1200 or so.

·
Registered
806 Posts
Some opinions please.....

I currently own an almost stock (CAI/Tune) 2007 Mustang GT that runs high 12's but as we all know speed is addictive. I have a couple of different options.

1. Used Roushcharger, 2.57 Pulley, Idler, CAI (mine wont fit), Wiring Upgrade to Pump and Custom Tune minus what I can get for my JLTII CAI. Roughly $3100 for a car thats maxed out at 11.9 1/4. I suspect some tire and suspension upgrades may be needed as well. The usual bugs to work out with aftermarket mods. But I do know what Im dealing with.

2. New 2009 GT500 White/Blue/Black w/ HID, Ambient Lighting, Premium Trim Package. MSRP $46,195. I can get it for $42,000. My least favorite color combo even if is traditional. Heavy. Dont have any seat time / familiarity with one to say how we would get along.

So how is the GT500 to live with day in and day out? Any regrets about buying it? My first car was a 1968 Fastback w/ 390-2V that I swapped to a homebuilt 428CJ (428PI with 427 Low Riser Heads) with the usual bolt-ons so I know rain, wide tires and torque.

Im a blue collar type and even though I can afford it now its difficult to allow myself to spend $42k on a car. If I get it I will use it as a daily driver not a Garage Queen. Im leaning toward the GT500 if I can just find what I did with that combination to my Wallet....

The Tightwad....

Gene
Get the GT500, mines not my DD but 17,000 a year in hot south GA. aint no garage queen either. Never has a problem with it. I have stripped out second gear sync. at the track. That was my fault and it still drives great.

·
Registered
693 Posts
Had an '07 GT/CS for a couple of years. Fully modded... Paxton Novi 2200, GlassBack Roof, etc. What a great car that was until I traded it in for a 2009 GT-500. Now the best car I've ever owned! No regrets (except for not having the glass roof) and I even drive it more than the CS.

I say get it if you can afford it. They aren't making these body styles anymore. You won't get them any cheaper and the bottom end is already built for way more power (if you are into that kind of thing). :grinbiginvert:

·
Registered
85 Posts
I have over 38K on my 2007 GT500 and it is the best car I've ever owned. Mine is not stock, but that was my choice. I have no intention of selling it, so mods don't faze me. I used to get a lot of attention and rock star adulation when it was new, but not as much in the last year.
But it is a CAR, after all. I drive it and use it. I carry stuff like fertilizer and bags of sand, plumbing supplies and even some concrete patio blocks (all properly protected from doing damage to the trunk of course). I can't afford another vehicle just to haul stuff, so the Shelby gets the nod. And yup, I drive it in the rain. This car works in all kinds of situations, not just purty days and dry roads.
My quick thoughts.
I don't know how high strung your '07 GT is with all the mods, but my GT500 is most definitely not. It has amazed me since the beginning how docile this 600HP machine is until you hit the loud pedal. On the other hand, I'm no stranger to fast cars (last car was a 2004 Termy) but this one defines 'scary fast' for me.
I bought the car for me and don't care if anyone else notices. But they do. Most are just jazzed and want to show their interest and appreciation. The others I just ignore or turn off and go somewhere else if it bothers me. That is not ever worth second-guessing about whether I should have bought the car. I do know one guy in this area got so annoyed with the would-be 'racers' that he had the stripes and badges taken off his car. I've never been that annoyed. It's whether I let it get to me that matters, not what others do.
This car is the 1970 Boss 302 I would have bought new if I'd had the money back then when I was in college. I'm glad I got the second chance. I would say the future has some uncertainty with regard to how much longer cars like this will be available. While you can 'roll your own' from a GT, there is enough unique about this car to think really hard about just buying it and not trying to measure all the pros and cons too closely. And there are enough of them around that careful shopping can produce one for a good price - new or used. Frankly, I'm glad there are a lot of them around because it means more goodies for everyone as far as the aftermarket is concerned.
My two cents.

·
Premium Member
367 Posts
I have over 38K on my 2007 GT500 and it is the best car I've ever owned. Mine is not stock, but that was my choice. I have no intention of selling it, so mods don't faze me. I used to get a lot of attention and rock star adulation when it was new, but not as much in the last year.
But it is a CAR, after all. I drive it and use it. I carry stuff like fertilizer and bags of sand, plumbing supplies and even some concrete patio blocks (all properly protected from doing damage to the trunk of course). I can't afford another vehicle just to haul stuff, so the Shelby gets the nod. And yup, I drive it in the rain. This car works in all kinds of situations, not just purty days and dry roads.
My quick thoughts.
I don't know how high strung your '07 GT is with all the mods, but my GT500 is most definitely not. It has amazed me since the beginning how docile this 600HP machine is until you hit the loud pedal. On the other hand, I'm no stranger to fast cars (last car was a 2004 Termy) but this one defines 'scary fast' for me.
I bought the car for me and don't care if anyone else notices. But they do. Most are just jazzed and want to show their interest and appreciation. The others I just ignore or turn off and go somewhere else if it bothers me. That is not ever worth second-guessing about whether I should have bought the car. I do know one guy in this area got so annoyed with the would-be 'racers' that he had the stripes and badges taken off his car. I've never been that annoyed. It's whether I let it get to me that matters, not what others do.
This car is the 1970 Boss 302 I would have bought new if I'd had the money back then when I was in college. I'm glad I got the second chance. I would say the future has some uncertainty with regard to how much longer cars like this will be available. While you can 'roll your own' from a GT, there is enough unique about this car to think really hard about just buying it and not trying to measure all the pros and cons too closely. And there are enough of them around that careful shopping can produce one for a good price - new or used. Frankly, I'm glad there are a lot of them around because it means more goodies for everyone as far as the aftermarket is concerned.
My two cents.
Dude, everybody should be required to read your last post, more than once if necessary to fully absorb the message. Very well said, or rather, in the words of Bernie Mac... Nuff Said. Peace, Goldgus

·
Registered
16 Posts
I'm with Three Cobras... I sold a Saleen 281SC and got the 09 GT500 vert a few months ago. My original intent was to just drive it on good weather weekends. But I look forward to driving to work every morning in it, and the heart beats get a bit quicker as the five o'clock whistle nears. I drive it almost anytime it's not going to rain (in Austin, this means just about every freakin' day this summer!).

The Saleen drew a lot of attention. Most of it was from ricer kids or juniors driving American iron. My experience made me suspect neither had a clue how to manage the car's power (nor the brains to understand the danger of running on busy public streets). But I'm a low-key guy, too. I like understatement. The Shelby I bought had a center-stripe delete. I also peeled off the side stripes when I got it home. Only the Cobra and Shelby badges clued someone in to what kinda Mustang it is. The ricers still fart-cannon their way up beside me on the road, then back off when they recognize the cobra emblem on the side. On the way back from San Antonio yesterday, a Challenger SRT chased me down at what I'd estimate to be fifteen mph greater than highway speeds, weaving recklessly through heavy holiday traffic on I-35. Once he got beside me, he backed way off. I like to think he saw the Cobra and just let it go. It's good like this. For me, anyway. Another place, then "game on!"

Enjoy the Shelby!
Mike

·
Registered
85 Posts
Dude, everybody should be required to read your last post, more than once if necessary to fully absorb the message. Very well said, or rather, in the words of Bernie Mac... Nuff Said. Peace, Goldgus
Gus -
Thanks. I'd like to make it clear that I respect those who save the car for special occasions. Even if I don't fully understand them. To me, what makes a car great is what it delivers when you drive it, not how you imagine it might be as you just look at it. I remember reading years ago that at the gatherings of Shelby owners (the Shelbys before our cars were produced), the cars with obvious wear from use (dings and scrapes) were accorded respect because they had been used as Shelby had intended. I have done mods on my car for it to perform better at the type of driving I enjoy. I justified this car (all the while swallowing hard at the price) because I expected to spend at lot of time driving and wanted to enjoy the driving as much as humanly (and mostly legally) as possible. I am happy to report success. :clap:

·
Registered
994 Posts
+1 or 2 or three, Bought ours to drive! If i could afford to leave her be and only drive her on Sunday's I would, but.... she is a road car, and we are both happiest flying down those roads as fast and safely as we can! The 2400 mile honeymoon trip was FANTASTIC!!!!

·
Registered
547 Posts
Wow! It's great to hear of so many of you that use your car as a daily driver the way it was intended! That's fantastic. I figure somebody has to buy these cars and put some miles on them so if I ever decide I want one I can get a good used one for a good price. :)

·
Registered
85 Posts
Wow! It's great to hear of so many of you that use your car as a daily driver the way it was intended! That's fantastic. I figure somebody has to buy these cars and put some miles on them so if I ever decide I want one I can get a good used one for a good price. :)
Look elsewhere, Mach, it won't be mine . . . . .

·
Registered
994 Posts
LOL, or mine........

·
Registered
547 Posts
I'm not too worried ThreeCobras and Subsailor. There's plenty of them out there to choose from. :) If I didn't have other projects such as classic Mustangs, a Rat Rod and a '65 FFR Cobra that I wanted to get done I'd probably consider a good used one considering they can be had for as low as $32k right now.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
"To me, what makes a car great is what it delivers when you drive it, not how you imagine it might be as you just look at it."

"...at the gatherings of Shelby owners (the Shelbys before our cars were produced), the cars with obvious wear from use (dings and scrapes) were accorded respect because they had been used as Shelby had intended...."

"I justified this car (all the while swallowing hard at the price) because I expected to spend at lot of time driving and wanted to enjoy the driving as much as humanly (and mostly legally) as possible. I am happy to report success. :clap:"
You summed up my sentiments much better than I ever could.

You all have given me much to think about. I will let you know my ultimate decision.

·
Registered
76 Posts
If you're looking to build a track car, i'd stay away from the GT500. I pretty much daily drive mine (except in rain or snow) here in NJ and while I used to go to the track about 5x a year i haven't taken the GT500....yet. The GT500 is more of a collectors car. Not literally perhaps but when you drive it you get that feel...at least I do.

There are PLENTY of GT500 track monster's out there. But I wouldn't go head 1st into monthly payments for a $42k car if you're intentions are to DD and track it. Just my 2 cents. If you're a casual racer like I am, yeah its a great car for that.

But if you're GT is paid off right now, i'd stick with that. While the GT500 is a better platform of a car for racing, and for everything really...since every aspect of the car is better than a GT; I still would keep the GT if you have the need for speed.

After owning 2 GTs and then a 2004 Cobra and now the Shelby....its become more apparent to me that the shelby is really a different breed of car and is more "collector like" than the other mustangs out there.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I drive mine almost every other day this Texas heat has been a killer and I am just trying to limit the time the car sits in the sun. I like the attention it gets not for the racing but because it’s a Shelby. Before when I had my black 07 GT I had more people coming up to me wanting to race now in my performance white with red stripes no has even tried had a vette come up on me but he backed off. I enjoy every minute with the car and would never get rid of it that car will be in the family for as long as it can. When I bought it my intention was to drive it every day and I do gets the heart racing every time.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts