Ford Shelby GT500 Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
252 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My buddy and I are planning a grudge drag race this spring, for the best 3 out of 5. The bet is $100 and bragging rights at work. He recently bought a 2004 ZO6 which is 405 hp, so the plate reads on the sides. My ride is an 08 GT500 with 3.73 gears and the FR1-SVT upgrade package which is suppose to give me another 40 horse. The book shows his Vet weighing only 3150. What do you think?

·
Registered
65 Posts
Your at sea level correct. At altitude i'll pull stock ones pretty badly. So at sea level you still should win if you can launch.

·
Registered
191 Posts
If his car is stock, and he can drive well, he's good for 12.3-12.4 @ 115-116mph on stock tires at an average track. This is what my '02 Z06 ran the day after dyno'ing it at 355rwhp, and I am not at some downhill + sea-level track here in N. Texas. Yes, they are light, and they are geared well for acceleration, and they are relatively easy to launch with stock/near-stock power.

I am not sure how your car would compare with that, as my experience with GT500s is rather limited to this point.

·
Registered
1,379 Posts
I think it'd ve GREAT fun! Wish I was there to watch, but I'll be rooting for you! I'm afraid that round you're going to lose badly because I predict you'll win be a hair then your buddy does some mods and demands a rematch.

All depends on your launch. You better get in some practice launching!

TD

·
Premium Member
252 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I will let eneryone know when this will happen. The RACE will be at Cordova dragway, in Cordova Illinois, which I might add is the oldest continually ran strip in the country. The Vet has wider tires than mine, so I bought a spare set of factory stock gt500 rims and am going to mount either Hoosier or M/T tires. I want to stay with the tire recommended width for the wheels, which is 9.5". Does anyone have a recommendation? By the way, I had 3.73 gears installed by my local dealer.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I had an 02 Z06 and raced an 07 gt 500. I beat him by about 3 lengths. Both cars were stock. I think your race will be really close, probably going to whoever can drive better. Now the guy has a pulley, tune, and cold air and wants to race my stock 09 Z06. I think this will be close too. Probably depend on who gets the best launch. We also have an 09 GT 500 and was wondering what the dealer charged to install the 3.73 gears? I have a set of mt et street tires 26x11.5x17 mounted of a set of 8 inch mustang wheels to run on the GT but havent tried them yet. They tend to hook pretty well. I have run hoosier 3.45 x 17 drag radials on the corvette and they hook really well.

·
Premium Member
252 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
My dealed usually gets $89.00 an hour but what with all the business I do there they did it for $60.00. I believe it took them 3 1/2 hours. I had the installation kit and gears from Summit. I bought the Ford Racing brand which they carry.

·
Premium Member
252 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Bruno, I'm probably going to buy M/T et street tires. M/T only makes two 18" tires that are rated for a 9.5" rim. A P265/40R18 with a 26.5"dia.(my current stock tires are 26.5" dia.) and a P305/45R18 with a 28.8" dia. Remembering I have a 3.73 gear, would the taller tire hurt the lower gear?
I looked up the gear swap for my local Ford dealer and it reads: Royal purple gear oil 39.57, sili sealant 14.51, misc 6.00, labor 270.00, tax 3.38, for a total of $333.46

·
Registered
165 Posts
He's got a HUGE weight difference on you, and a better suspension which will give him a better launch.

Honestly, I would think if you went Stage 1, you'd have a fighting chance, and Stage 2 you should be the victor with little effort. But stock for stock, he should by all rights take you.

But then again... anything can happen on the street (or on the track)!

·
Premium Member
11,063 Posts
Bruno, I'm probably going to buy M/T et street tires. M/T only makes two 18" tires that are rated for a 9.5" rim. A P265/40R18 with a 26.5"dia.(my current stock tires are 26.5" dia.) and a P305/45R18 with a 28.8" dia. Remembering I have a 3.73 gear, would the taller tire hurt the lower gear?
I looked up the gear swap for my local Ford dealer and it reads: Royal purple gear oil 39.57, sili sealant 14.51, misc 6.00, labor 270.00, tax 3.38, for a total of $333.46

The 28" height makes your 3.73s somewhere around a 3.45 and will allow you to break the lights at well under redline in 4th. With no other mods, you should be somewhere in the 115mph range.

bj

1 - 10 of 10 Posts