Ford Shelby GT500 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I still only have 260 miles on car hopefully this will go away.

Agravating to say the least.. clutch feels jerky taking off in 1st the same feel as if you were in 3rd instead of 1st.. I checked I am in 1st..LOL

When I take off in 1st it seems like I almost have to slip clutch to get a smooth response, I have tried several different methods of letting the clutch out and they all seem to give me the same result. lousy I almost feel like I am driving a stick for the 1st time.. only have this happen when taking off in 1st..reverse is fine along with all the other gears I thought I read this is a dual stage clutch but so is my Cobra and it doesn't do this of course it weighs half as much. So is this common or do I have a problem if so will it get better with some miles. a 4:11 rear gear would probably cure it along with making oil companies more money.

·
Registered
429 Posts
I still only have 260 miles on car hopefully this will go away.

Agravating to say the least.. clutch feels jerky taking off in 1st the same feel as if you were in 3rd instead of 1st.. I checked I am in 1st..LOL

When I take off in 1st it seems like I almost have to slip clutch to get a smooth response, I have tried several different methods of letting the clutch out and they all seem to give me the same result. lousy I almost feel like I am driving a stick for the 1st time.. only have this happen when taking off in 1st..reverse is fine along with all the other gears I thought I read this is a dual stage clutch but so is my Cobra and it doesn't do this of course it weighs half as much. So is this common or do I have a problem if so will it get better with some miles. a 4:11 rear gear would probably cure it along with making oil companies more money.
i seem to have either rev it up and slip it or i kill it, i do not have enough miles or time in it to know if this is normal

·
Registered
2,466 Posts
The clutch in this car is a high performance clutch. It will chatter and lurch if you try to drive it like your every day grocery getter. Give her some gas and let the clutch out more quickly. It'll engage smoothly, plus it's more fun that way. :D

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Well at least I'am not the only one..it sure is a pain, hopefully the clutch won't burn up. I have had many sticks and this car is the only one to do this the Miata we had never was this bad.. The thing is, reverse is fine probably due to the ratio..

·
Registered
180 Posts
This is common with these new clutches they are very aggressive material same material that is used in racing clutches. Mine definetly got better with time and wear. It does take some time to get used to but with 4.10 I think you will exagerate the problem. I would give it another 1000 mi before making any drastic changes JMO

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The clutch in this car is a high performance clutch. It will chatter and lurch if you try to drive it like your every day grocery getter. Give her some gas and let the clutch out more quickly. It'll engage smoothly, plus it's more fun that way. :D

Well I have noticed it does better doing that..the cops are going to love me burning rubber at take off.:) sir you don't understand if I take off slow the car will lurch and people will laugh at me while yelling learn how to drive fool.. the traffic down here is bumper to bumper so i guess I will wait till the car in front is out of the way while hoping the guy behind is paying attention and doesn't rear end me when the light turns green:mad:

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I guess I am spoiled by the light weight of my replica with 430hp and 2400lbs, it also has a performance Mcleod clutch but due to the weight all you have to do is let clutch out and car starts moving.

·
Registered
267 Posts
I've had the same problem... I thought it was just me...lol... I only have 185 miles on her... So hopefully it will get better... I know what you feel.. I was leaving in first and I thought that this was my first stick shift also... Almost had to dump it the second stop sign so I wouldn't look silly....

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Well its starting to look like I've got company..I hate being the only one:D I am thinking it will get better with more miles as I can only afford so many tickets ;) how much are the rear tires anyway

·
Registered
2,466 Posts
Well its starting to look like I've got company..I hate being the only one:D I am thinking it will get better with more miles as I can only afford so many tickets ;) how much are the rear tires anyway
Tirerack has the stock rears for $194.00 each. Better stock up! :D

My rear tires are almost down to the wear indicators and I've got only 2,400 miles on them.

Hopefully my new Nittos don't wear so fast...they're $300 each.

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Tirerack has the stock rears for $194.00 each. Better stock up! :D

My rear tires are almost down to the wear indicators and I've got only 2,400 miles on them.

Hopefully my new Nittos don't wear so fast...they're $300 each.
Thats funny..the tires on my silver replica are Nitto's 315/35/17's NT 555R and cost $169 the Goodyear F1's 315/35/17 GS-D3 are $296 at Discount Tire.. I like the Nittos as they stick good and wear pretty good also.. I almost had to buy a set of the Goodyears F1's 315's locally for $350 each to put on a car I was selling.. I have bought a lot of tires from Discount as shipping is included & pricing was hard to beat

·
Registered
2,466 Posts

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I bought the Nitto Invo - 295/35/20 on the rear and 255/35/20 on the front. the 295's aren't on the Discount tire site yet...they're brand new. They are going on 20" Alcoa wheels...If I ever receive them from SPP.
20" er's that is nice

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I think there is going to be a lot of stock front tires with low miles on them for sale LOL

·
Premium Member
1,251 Posts
I think there is going to be a lot of stock front tires with low miles on them for sale LOL
I think your right. I just ordered the same tires as the Prez with 20" Asanti AF118 T's.

In addition, I also had the clutch chatter you mentioned until I installed the 3.73 gears. It's rare now since the gear change.

Cal

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I think your right. I just ordered the same tires as the Prez with 20" Asanti AF118 T's.

In addition, I also had the clutch chatter you mentioned until I installed the 3.73 gears. It's rare now since the gear change.

Cal
I kind of figured a gear change would help this go away..

·
Premium Member
1,251 Posts

·
Registered
208 Posts
its called a ceramic clutch. Clutch chatter is normal. Have the same issue with mine. There is a ford bulletin out there that describes clutch chatter being normal. Just don't baby it and you be fine.

LLoyd

1 - 20 of 47 Posts