Ford Shelby GT500 Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am running a 08 GT500 with a Saleen Watts Link on the rear (Dont think this is the issue). After my first track day I noticed lots of diff fluid leaking or dripping off the rear diff after 10-15 laps at Laguna Seca. I took 5-10 more laps and then called it quits because of the amount of diff fluid leaking from the breather on top of the rear diff.

I took the Shelby to the dealer for further inspection and they mentioned that the fluid might be too high because its leaking out the breather on the top of the diff cover. I had the level corrected and went back to Laguna today. After 5-10 laps I had diff fluid dripping from the read diff/axel again and called it quits.

I have the shelby in the shop again and I guess I will just have a hose and overflow/catch can installed????????

Any others with info or solutions? I have read many others with this problem but no solutions yet?

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Just FYI... I heard that the KR's are comming stock with a differential fluid expansion tank.

Today I went down to look at one and indeed they have included an overflow on the new GT500 KR diff.

I am looking to see if the KR's differential fluid expansion tank can be installed or I will just get something fabracated for mine.

·
Premium Member
1,533 Posts
I have not yet had the pleasure of taking the Shelby to a road course (you lucky dog!) but when I had the same venting issues it was due to over filling the rear differential.

Since completely draining and re-filling using two standard bottle of gear oil, I have had zero issues.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the reply, the part specifically for the KR no one can get currently but its pretty straight forward. I will have something fabricated and update after a I get back on the track again.

Thanks again.......

·
Registered
662 Posts
There is a FRPP rear axle girdle that supposedly holds more and stiffens the axle....I think Blue Oval has it. I think you have to have a :zlurking: panhard relocation brakets to use it, but it is way cool looking.

·
Registered
97 Posts
There is a FRPP rear axle girdle that supposedly holds more and stiffens the axle....I think Blue Oval has it. I think you have to have a :zlurking: panhard relocation brakets to use it, but it is way cool looking.
Don't order the regular one. Order the Low Profile diff cover. The Low Profile diff cover does not/not require an expensive panhard rod relocation bracket.

·
Registered
1,132 Posts
You should only fill the pumpkin with oil up to the fill hole located at the front (driver's side) of the pumpkin regardless of where the fill hole is located on the cover.

This is the low-profile cover from FR (M-4033-G2):

http://www.fordracingparts.com/parts/part_details.asp?PartKeyField=9291

·
Registered
662 Posts
Don't order the regular one. Order the Low Profile diff cover. The Low Profile diff cover does not/not require an expensive panhard rod relocation bracket.
They have 2?

·
Registered
662 Posts
1 - 11 of 11 Posts