Ford Shelby GT500 Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2008 GT 500
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,
I am new here so I don't know if this is the right place to post...Here is my situation for about a year and half now my car keeps losing a charge. I did have three aftermarket accessories put in...remote start, alarm and kenwood radio. At first I took it to autozone and they said it was my alternator. So my car was towed to Ford dealership because I had a warranty through carmax where we bought my car. Ford told me it wasn't the alternator, it was the battery. So they replaced battery and my car was fine for a couple months and then it started losing charge again. I went back to Ford, this time they blamed it on my after market accessories and their solution is to keep on a charger. (Now this is my daily driver so it doesn't sit.) This is where I am, all after market accessories were taken out today. So I am going to see if it still dies. The shop that installed everything thinks it's my internal computer not shutting down. Is this a common problem or can our cars just not keep up with after market accessories? I just find it really hard to believe this. Any suggestions welcome.

·
Premium Member
139 Posts
I keep mine on a tender to avoid similar issues. I think it’s the alarm. Use an amp probe to see key-off draw.

·
Registered
2008 GT 500
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I keep mine on a tender to avoid similar issues. I think it’s the alarm. Use an amp probe to see key-off draw.
Thank you so much. I did have the alarm disconnected and it still died. Then we did radio and still died. So today I just decided to pull everything because without charging it dies in 24 hours. Its dead like where you can't jump it. I read somewhere about upgrading the alternator could help. I had a few mechanics look at it and they all blame the aftermarket immediately. The thing is, if everything is disconnected and car still dies how can that be the accessories? So this is why I decided to pull everything and maybe will find an mechanic to do the test if it loses charge. It's just been a frustrating situation.

·
Moderator/Admin Dude!
2020 CFTP on order 2011 Kona Blue/white
32,483 Posts
Hello,
I am new here so I don't know if this is the right place to post...Here is my situation for about a year and half now my car keeps losing a charge. I did have three aftermarket accessories put in...remote start, alarm and kenwood radio. At first I took it to autozone and they said it was my alternator. So my car was towed to Ford dealership because I had a warranty through carmax where we bought my car. Ford told me it wasn't the alternator, it was the battery. So they replaced battery and my car was fine for a couple months and then it started losing charge again. I went back to Ford, this time they blamed it on my after market accessories and their solution is to keep on a charger. (Now this is my daily driver so it doesn't sit.) This is where I am, all after market accessories were taken out today. So I am going to see if it still dies. The shop that installed everything thinks it's my internal computer not shutting down. Is this a common problem or can our cars just not keep up with after market accessories? I just find it really hard to believe this. Any suggestions welcome.
First off, welcome to the forum! Sorry for your troubles... hopefully we can find the culprit together.

How did your remote start work with a manual tranny car...?

If your battery and alternator are good and something is continuing to draw down the battery when parked, I’d start doing a little experiment by pulling fuses when the car is parked. I’d get out the owner’s manual and pull fuses for things like the stereo, alarm or other non essential items to see if the draw stops. There may be a more technical way to find the source though.

On a different note, if you are up for introducing yourself and showing us your ride, you’ll find our new member area here:

Reactions: Brianinger33

·
Registered
2008 GT 500
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
First off, welcome to the forum! Sorry for your troubles... hopefully we can find the culprit together.

How did your remote start work with a manual tranny car...?

If your battery and alternator are good and something is continuing to draw down the battery when parked, I’d start doing a little experiment by pulling fuses when the car is parked. I’d get out the owner’s manual and pull fuses for things like the stereo, alarm or other non essential items to see if the draw stops. There may be a more technical way to find the source though.

On a different note, if you are up for introducing yourself and showing us your ride, you’ll find our new member area here:

Thank you so much! happy to find this forum. So how the remote start worked was you had to pull up the emergency break and then press the remote start button, you lock car and walk away. The car would turn off after a certain time. Then when ready, you push the button and the car starts. It's the viper brand. I was going to try pulling fuses, one mechanic told me that after each fuse I have to wait two hours for the car to be completely asleep. Is this true? I appreciate everyone's input and their time.

I will def introduce myself in the link you posted. Thank you again.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts