Ford Shelby GT500 Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I notice some engine oil coming from the back of my motor where the tranny meets the engine....Could this be a rear main seal leak? Has anyone experienced this? any suggestions?

I have alot of mods on my car and i am not sure the dealer will warranty it.

·
Premium Member
11,063 Posts
I notice some engine oil coming from the back of my motor where the tranny meets the engine....Could this be a rear main seal leak? Has anyone experienced this? any suggestions?

Short version. Unless your mods caused the problem to happen, they can't legally deny you.

Long version. Good luck proving it.

bj

·
Registered
27 Posts

I'd look into it being the oil galley plugs first instead of the RMS. This has been a complaint from time to time.

Unless of course it's clearly not the problem. Haven't heard of any RMS leaks on these engines. Good luck.

·
Premium Member
635 Posts
My F-150 had the rear main leak and when I took it in the dealer diddled around putting in seal conditioner a couple of times and that failed. A full year later the warranty was almost up and now they wanted me to split the bill with them. They told me they had to pull the engine and to expect a $5000.00 dollar bill which I was to pay half. After a battle involving Ford the dealer replaced the seal by pulling the tranny only, the final bill was $900.00 total. What a bunch of crooks.

·
Registered
2009 Shelby GT500
692 Posts
Have the dealership put some die in it. Then they can take a black light as see where it is coming from. The oil could be coming from almost anywhere, which is why they use the die. For example on my diesel the oil pressure sensor was leaking and running down the back of the engine giving the same impression as a rear main seal leak.

Mike

2009 red with white, a 12 second ride

·
Registered
175 Posts
Just picked mine up from the dealership today with similar complaint. It was the oil gallley plug they had to tighten. Oil was leaking down onto exhaust manifold creating a rather weird burning plastic-like smell.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts