Ford Shelby GT500 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have the chance to buy a 1400 mile triple black GT500.
This will be my first mustang since high school when i had an LX with the 5.0.
Is there anything specific i should look at with this model?
Ive read about the flywheel/clutch issue but it is unlikely an issue with only 1400 miles on it.
Anything else?

·
Moderator Dude!
27,526 Posts
I have the chance to buy a 1400 mile triple black GT500.
This will be my first mustang since high school when i had an LX with the 5.0.
Is there anything specific i should look at with this model?
Ive read about the flywheel/clutch issue but it is unlikely an issue with only 1400 miles on it.
Anything else?
Welcome to the forum Hank! A 1400 mile triple black 07 sounds like a fantastic car! As for things to look for, take it for a drive to make sure everything functions as it should. Ask how old the gas is before the drive. If it has been in the tank for awhile, avoid boost! Look for any signs of previous but removed mods by looking at bolts under the hood. Check the tires... if they are original, they are nice to have, but not good for spirited driving in a 500 hp muscle car.

A common fix 07 owners do is to swap the heavy crank pulley for the lighter 08+ version.

For a long list of potential problems with these cars, have a look at our Problems sub-forum:

Also, you’ll find our new member area here:

·
Premium Member
5,435 Posts
Be prepared to pay for a few things. $$$$

The tires will HAVE to be replaced if original, old brittle flat spotted and crap to begin with.
The clutch WILL need to be replaced, the OEM is junk.
The transmission will most likely have the infamous second gear grind. Upgraded new synchros are needed to Fix this.
ALL fluids WILL need to be replaced; transmission, rear, brake, radiator cooling, super charger coolent, oil and certainly any fuel that is in it. ( deffered maintenance )
The crank balancer on '07s are typically also replaced.
With that few miles, seals maybe an issue unless REGULARLY started and ran.
All this WILL add up to thousands, be aware, you may believe you are getting a realatively "new" car, but you aren't.

I bought a 08 w/1526 miles and went through all this at six years old, a 07 now is a 12 year old car.
You mentioned triple black so it must be a Vert, which I have, be sure to have the opening and closing mechanism check by a Dealer before purchasing !!!

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thank you very much, The purchase is being done thru the widow. I got the contact from her neighbor who is my co-worker. Stopping at the bank and then going to look at it tonight. Thanks again.

·
Moderator Dude!
27,526 Posts
Thank you very much, The purchase is being done thru the widow. I got the contact from her neighbor who is my co-worker. Stopping at the bank and then going to look at it tonight. Thanks again.
Post pics of the car to include the engine bay. We know these machines well and can spot mods. I’m betting it’s all original and cherry... sounds lovely!

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I suspect its all original, She said there was a seat belt recall performed on it but nothing else was ever done. She said her husband talked her into the purchase because it was going to be a collector piece some day. pics will come as soon as i get it in my hands.

·
Premium Member
7,326 Posts
If you are looking for a nice car just to drive occasionally, enjoy on nice days with the top down, and are not concerned with the "all-out performance" of the vehicle, I would say this would be a good car to leave completely stock after doing just routine maintenance .. (new tires are a must, however). It will be a fun car for a long time if only "lightly used" on beautiful days. :)

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Cant we all just get along? I've been a mustang fan for some time and am very excited about this. I'm going tonight to check it out and take some pics. The widow is expecting to get upper 20's for the car. Probably priced about right?

·
Moderator Dude!
27,526 Posts
Cant we all just get along? I've been a mustang fan for some time and am very excited about this. I'm going tonight to check it out and take some pics. The widow is expecting to get upper 20's for the car. Probably priced about right?
If you can get it for upper 20s, buy it! I see listed prices well into the $30s for cars like that. You don’t come across too many with that few miles on them.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
is there a source on this site for someone at a dealership to pdf the original window sticker?
vin 1ZVHT88S475340034

·
Premium Member
219 Posts
I called a local dealer near me and they emailed me a picture off their computer screen of the window sticker. However that model year may be too old to do that as I hear it only works for newer models. Worth a try.

·
Registered
4,147 Posts
It ended up not being a triple black vert, but a damn nice coupe. bringing it home next Wednesday. cant wait

Beautiful 500 Hank ... and a one year (07 only) Colour Combination.
08 and 09 Black Cars had Matte BLK Stripes.

·
Registered
3,208 Posts
I called a local dealer near me and they emailed me a picture off their computer screen of the window sticker. However that model year may be too old to do that as I hear it only works for newer models. Worth a try.
You use to be able to download a window sticker .pdf, they no longer do that for the 07-09 cars as far as I know.

Check this link out.
Window sticker and more 👍

Colin

1 - 20 of 28 Posts