Ford Shelby GT500 Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I picked up a low mileage all factory gt500 this month and am asking for some exhaust input. I have a 2017 Jaguar and love the exhaust. It sounds like an old ferrari on the track. This is my comparison sound I'm searching for with this Shelby. I don't know what they do to get the backfiring, popping noise that comes with throttle lift, but I love that sound-

Does this engine benefit much from headers? Nitro-Nicky

·
Moderator/Admin Dude!
2020 Rapid Red/black 2011 Kona Blue/white
31,676 Posts
I picked up a low mileage all factory gt500 this month and am asking for some exhaust input. I have a 2017 Jaguar and love the exhaust. It sounds like an old ferrari on the track. This is my comparison sound I'm searching for with this Shelby. I don't know what they do to get the backfiring, popping noise that comes with throttle lift, but I love that sound-

Does this engine benefit much from headers? Nitro-Nicky
Welcome to the forum Nicky!

Exhaust recommendations depend on what year GT500 you have... whatcha got?

Edit, I just saw you listed “2007” in the title. I recommend Roush Extreme mufflers. Skip the headers... not worth the hassle. If you want more of a raspy sound, install an X-pipe.

You’ll find our new member area here where you can introduce yourself and show us your ride:

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
This 2007 is actually way more fun to drive than I expected. I went out to my local dragstrip last week and took home a 3rd place trophy in spite of the factory tires. There was a 2008 with only rear lowering springs and he was hooking up just fine; no tire bounce at all. Go figure. Nico

·
Registered
4,459 Posts
Your 2007 should have an X-pipe already installed if it is the oem, my 2008 did. Ford did not change the GT500 to an H-pipe until 2010 or 2011, and of course the Shelby installed H on the 2008/09 GT500KR.

That X-pipe is going to give a more European (higher pitch) sound to the exhaust than the H which is more of the deeper lower muscle car tone, so the X is where you will want to be up front. Others can add their experiences behind the X to gain the sound you may be looking for.

Not exhaust related, but definitely RPM related, if you car still has the oem 3.31 gears in the 8.8, it is going to be slower to spin up vs. a more "spin up friendly" gear like a 3.73......Just a thought.

R

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
That gear answer would explain a lot. Given that the tq/hp numbers are each approx. the same amount lower with the Shelby, I had been expecting the same torque curve. Nico

·
Moderator/Admin Dude!
2020 Rapid Red/black 2011 Kona Blue/white
31,676 Posts
That gear answer would explain a lot. Given that the tq/hp numbers are each approx. the same amount lower with the Shelby, I had been expecting the same torque curve. Nico
If you want to make your car a lot more fun, look in our Performance Mods section for pulley/intake/tune info. If you want to make your car stupid fun, look in the same section for supercharger upgrade info. It will make your car feel like an entirely different animal.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Appreciate that info. I've love the all wheel Jag but the ride on rough roads is Murder on my back. I can't take the car out of town without needing to lay flat the entire next day to recover. The shelby I can drive half a day and be fine, yet the handling isn't that far apart. It's been a real disappointment. In addition, I can't hear one bit of sound out of the factory SC, where the Gt500 sounds like automotive music as it's spooling up! Preposterous I say!!! Nitro

·
Registered
4,459 Posts
The 2007-2009 GT500's were 3.31 from the factory with no optional ratio and the standard ratio for the 2013/14 was also 3.31................difference is, 500hp on the 2007-2009 and 662hp on the 2013/14 but even at that higher 2013/14 hp level, many owners swap out of the 3.31's.

R

·
Registered
4,459 Posts
Appreciate that info. I've love the all wheel Jag but the ride on rough roads is Murder on my back. I can't take the car out of town without needing to lay flat the entire next day to recover. The shelby I can drive half a day and be fine, yet the handling isn't that far apart. It's been a real disappointment. In addition, I can't hear one bit of sound out of the factory SC, where the Gt500 sounds like automotive music as it's spooling up! Preposterous I say!!! Nitro
^^^Maybe I am wrong, but from what I read in your comments above, the 2007 GT500 has somewhat impressed you.......and that is good, I would have expected that much newer technology Jag to run all over a 10+ year old GT500, and you have first hand experience with both, not magazine test experience.

Also, and this is just an FYI...........2007 was the only year, but the harmonic balancer was updated for 2008, I think the oem balancer on the 2007 was like 12-14lbs spinning on the end of the crankshaft and 2008-up is like 8lbs. Changing that heavy balancer is one of the first things most 2007 owners do.

R

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks R-

On a road coarse the Jaguar is phenomenal. However in real life the seats are thinly padded and the suspension is harsh under load yet overly light on rebound. So in a corner it slams you flat yet springs the car upward in the middle of an apex- something that can be frightening to a passenger who's not expecting it. also, with an all-wheel drive system, cars that heavy are really slow getting off the line as it's vectoring the torque around to all 4 wheels. The Jag just needs a heavy hand to maximize it's performance in real world driving. The final issue is that apparently the engine can not tolerate much of a performance tune, with engine longevity issues coming in before 650hp.
with this GT500, chassis feedback is instantaneous and I can feel the difference between the front and the rear suspensions well before I'm pushing any limits. It doesn't corner anywhere near as flat, but I'm sure larger swaybar sets and some chassis bracing is all it will need to compare- all without any real ride sacrifice. Sure, it would be great to put those double width wheels and tires on the Shelby and the same level of brakes but your Shelby's are fairly light on their feet and are much more user friendly in everyday driving.

Of course there's nothing like the F type's switchable exhaust note for scaring the dunces that drive so damn slow in the fast lane! Nitro-Nicky

·
Registered
4,459 Posts
Thanks R-

On a road coarse the Jaguar is phenomenal. However in real life the seats are thinly padded and the suspension is harsh under load yet overly light on rebound. So in a corner it slams you flat yet springs the car upward in the middle of an apex- something that can be frightening to a passenger who's not expecting it. also, with an all-wheel drive system, cars that heavy are really slow getting off the line as it's vectoring the torque around to all 4 wheels. The Jag just needs a heavy hand to maximize it's performance in real world driving. The final issue is that apparently the engine can not tolerate much of a performance tune, with engine longevity issues coming in before 650hp.
with this GT500, chassis feedback is instantaneous and I can feel the difference between the front and the rear suspensions well before I'm pushing any limits. It doesn't corner anywhere near as flat, but I'm sure larger swaybar sets and some chassis bracing is all it will need to compare- all without any real ride sacrifice. Sure, it would be great to put those double width wheels and tires on the Shelby and the same level of brakes but your Shelby's are fairly light on their feet and are much more user friendly in everyday driving.

Of course there's nothing like the F type's switchable exhaust note for scaring the dunces that drive so damn slow in the fast lane! Nitro-Nicky
Thanks for the feedback overview of both cars.........Very Cool!!

The oem GT500 does have many mushy suspension mounting points and of course you don't want to tighten it up so much that it handles well but also rides like a lumber wagon, so care will have to be taken in the suspension parts chosen if/when that time comes.

R

·
Registered
4,459 Posts
I wonder how the Jag F-Type R would have played in the field in the link below...............all in street trim and on their original street tires as shown in the pictures.........

R

·
Premium Member
2008 Metalic Vista Blue Convertible
5,625 Posts
I picked up a low mileage all factory gt500 this month and am asking for some exhaust input. I have a 2017 Jaguar and love the exhaust. It sounds like an old ferrari on the track
@Nitro-Nicky

Nicholas,

Why not post a couple pics of the cars ?

Everyone likes to see others cars !!!

Ken
Sua Sponte

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
didn't know if that was allowed. I was living on the streets by the time I was 13 and dreamed of owning a hot rod since my first peddle car! Now I have a difficult time saying 'No' to any great deal offer on a fun ride!!! Nico View attachment 192806
20181113_093420.jpg
IMG_4552.jpeg
IMG_4540.JPG

Attachments

·
Premium Member
7,166 Posts
Just know if you do a cat-delete all bets are off on aftermarket exhaust. It will be very loud regardless what mufflers you have on it.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Regarding the pics; I did sell the 60 big block so I could add the Jag & a GSX 1000. I ran out of room!

·
Premium Member
2008 Vapor/Black Coupe
1,708 Posts
Fun garage there... The F-type actually has that tuned into it from the factory to dump some extra fuel on deceleration. I'm not sure I'd try it, but if you really want that crackle and pop, BJ @VNMOUS1 Lund or VMP would be who I would call. As for catless exhaust, the Borla Touring mufflers are my favorite. I can still drive through the neighborhood, but at WOT they really open up.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I really-really appreciate the exhaust feedback. Because I'm in California Big Brother State, I'll be keeping the cats. I'm paying attention to the Federal government's recent feedback to notify Cal that it can't introduce or apply stricter EPA standards than the Nation's EPA laws as it applies to the automotive industry.

I feel as if I'm being forced to move out of the State because of the anti-personal laws Sacramento has been able to get away with (Sacramento=State White House). Next thing that'll happen is a ban on certain types of tire sales in favor of high mileage Prius ownership driving characteristics. But then again I've said to much! OMG.... Nico

1 - 19 of 19 Posts