Ford Shelby GT500 Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
2020 Shadow Black Shelby Cobra GT500 #L5422
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Mustang owners...
My wife and I have a 2005 Torch Red GT Convertible Mustang with a Tan top and Tan interior, all 100% original. She bought it brand new and it has 65K original miles on it. It's in really, really good condition. It has been stored and garage kept since new. Since we have purchased the new 2020 GT500, about a month ago now, she has been talking about upgrading the '05 (I think she has caught the bug, shhhh ;)). So I am opening this can of worms and reaching out to our Mustang community and am looking for ideas. We are naturally thinking a nice wheel and tire package and maybe even go down the road of making a Shelby replica of that year. Maybe some stripes etc. etc. (We're not interested in keeping it stock because of any value we think it might have as is. We just want to take a nice mustang and make it cooler! If it devalues the car, for example, because we made it look like a Shelby, we don't care and we're not going to try and sell it as an original Shelby, incase anyone is thinking that)

If you have any pics of your '05s, we like to see them and maybe get some cool ideas.

Thanks all.

·
Moderator/Admin Dude!
2020 CFTP Red! 2011 Kona Blue
30,838 Posts
Hi Mustang owners...
My wife and I have a 2005 Torch Red GT Convertible Mustang with a Tan top and Tan interior, all 100% original. She bought it brand new and it has 65K original miles on it. It's in really, really good condition. It has been stored and garage kept since new. Since we have purchased the new 2020 GT500, about a month ago now, she has been talking about upgrading the '05 (I think she has caught the bug, shhhh ;)). So I am opening this can of worms and reaching out to our Mustang community and am looking for ideas. We are naturally thinking a nice wheel and tire package and maybe even go down the road of making a Shelby replica of that year. Maybe some stripes etc. etc. (We're not interested in keeping it stock because of any value we think it might have as is. We just want to take a nice mustang and make it cooler! If it devalues the car, for example, because we made it look like a Shelby, we don't care and we're not going to try and sell it as an original Shelby, incase anyone is thinking that)

If you have any pics of your '05s, we like to see them and maybe get some cool ideas.

Thanks all.
Sounds like a cool car and a cool wife! Let’s see a pic of the car!

As for stripes, Big Worm Graphix is a good source for Mustang stripes. For the wheels, you’ll find a lot of options at American Muscle. You could also get a BAMA tune from there, which will liven up the engine.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Sounds like a cool car and a cool wife! Let’s see a pic of the car!

As for stripes, Big Worm Graphix is a good source for Mustang stripes. For the wheels, you’ll find a lot of options at American Muscle. You could also get a BAMA tune from there, which will liven up the engine.
Thanks, Tim! All great ideas, I like it.
I will post a pic here in this thread when I get a chance. I need to do a good spring detailing on it so pics will come when I do that, hopefully soon.
Do you know if I need a tune to put a cold air intake on it? Our new GT500's dont need one, so I'm curious about the '05

·
Moderator/Admin Dude!
30,838 Posts
Thanks, Tim! All great ideas, I like it.
I will post a pic here in this thread when I get a chance. I need to do a good spring detailing on it so pics will come when I do that, hopefully soon.
Do you know if I need a tune to put a cold air intake on it? Our new GT500's dont need one, so I'm curious about the '05
You will need a tune. I’d recommend an intake/tune combo from American Muscle. They haven’t quite figured out GT500 tuning, but they have GTs dialed-in!

Our 2020+ GT500s use a speed density system, which doesn’t require a tune for changing the intake alone. The 07-14 GT500s and Mustang GTs around that area as well (including 05), have a MAF setup that requires a tune for any intake worth upgrading to.

My oldest son runs a BAMA tune on his 2011 5.0... it woke up the car.

Reactions: ShadowBLK500

·
Premium Member
4,166 Posts
Hard to believe that the S197 Mustangs are 16 years old, going on 17.. I've been driving my 2005 Carrera S that I ordered new the last week or-so, and the "holy cow, time is flying by" thought keeps running through my head like a looped recording.

I'd agree that a CAI with tune, and a slick wheel/tire upgrade would be a good place to start, and see where it takes you. I'm admittedly not a stripe guy.

It's actually becoming a rarity that you see an S197 on the road that's 100% stock.

My pops special-ordered a 2005 Mustang GT coupe new (Redfire w/black interior), and still has it, but he's only put maybe 4,000 miles on it. And now I'm the one who occasionally exercises it, because his left knee is no good anymore for working the clutch. But I've noticed the last couple times I've had it out, younger guys in modded S197's stare at me like I'm driving a flying saucer. A clean, no tinted windows, zero-mod, still rockin' the stock 5-spokes, is getting to be like spotting a mountain lion in the wild.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Hard to believe that the S197 Mustangs are 16 years old, going on 17.. I've been driving my 2005 Carrera S that I ordered new the last week or-so, and the "holy cow, time is flying by" thought keeps running through my head like a looped recording.

I'd agree that a CAI with tune, and a slick wheel/tire upgrade would be a good place to start, and see where it takes you. I'm admittedly not a stripe guy.

It's actually becoming a rarity that you see an S197 on the road that's 100% stock.

My pops special-ordered a 2005 Mustang GT coupe new (Redfire w/black interior), and still has it, but he's only put maybe 4,000 miles on it. And now I'm the one who occasionally exercises it, because his left knee is no good anymore for working the clutch. But I've noticed the last couple times I've had it out, younger guys in modded S197's stare at me like I'm driving a flying saucer. A clean, no tinted windows, zero-mod, still rockin' the stock 5-spokes, is getting to be like spotting a mountain lion in the wild.
Yeah, Bossnine, the '05 is ALMOST completely stock, except for ONE thing...we put a new updated radio/nav/XM head unit in it with a back up camera! LOL, wife WANTED that really bad.

She is on the fence regarding stripes, and I could go either way also. The '05 needs some paint polishing and a good clay bar and ceramic coating, but it's a beautiful car. I'll get some pics when I clean it up for the spring.

·
Premium Member
4,166 Posts
Yeah, Bossnine, the '05 is ALMOST completely stock, except for ONE thing...we put a new updated radio/nav/XM head unit in it with a back up camera! LOL, wife WANTED that really bad.

She is on the fence regarding stripes, and I could go either way also. The '05 needs some paint polishing and a good clay bar and ceramic coating, but it's a beautiful car. I'll get some pics when I clean it up for the spring.
Pics would be awesome! A couple personal opinions on the detailing:

1. The new synthetic "clay blocks" that are on the market absolutely rock. So much better and easier to use than clay. Like this Clay Block Surface Cleaner Clay Bar Alternative & Clay Luber Kit |

2. If you've going to polish the whole thing, you probably won't have any contaminants left on the paint to clay-bar.

Best of luck, and cool that your wife is enthusiastic about her Mustang.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Pics would be awesome! A couple personal opinions on the detailing:

1. The new synthetic "clay blocks" that are on the market absolutely rock. So much better and easier to use than clay. Like this Clay Block Surface Cleaner Clay Bar Alternative & Clay Luber Kit |

2. If you've going to polish the whole thing, you probably won't have any contaminants left on the paint to clay-bar.

Best of luck, and cool that your wife is enthusiastic about her Mustang.
Thanks! It'll be fun getting it cleaned up and shiny.
Correct, the polishing should take care of everything, then a good ceramic coating and we should be good to go.
I'm prowling around on the American Muscle website as we speak....:devilish:

Reactions: Goose17

·
Premium Member
3,606 Posts
Great project! Look forward to the progress. Be sure to post lots of photos along the way.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Can anyone recommend wheel sizes? We were thinking 19" and it looks like about 8.5/9" wide on the fronts and 10" wide on the rears is about all you can go as far as width goes. Is that true? I would imagine these sizes are based on factory offsets? I probably broke the cardinal rule asking about wheel sizes! Dont hate me.😅

·
Moderator/Admin Dude!
30,838 Posts
Can anyone recommend wheel sizes? We were thinking 19" and it looks like about 8.5/9" wide on the fronts and 10" wide on the rears is about all you can go as far as width goes. Is that true? I would imagine these sizes are based on factory offsets? I probably broke the cardinal rule asking about wheel sizes! Dont hate me.😅
If I recall correctly, American Muscle is real good about which of their wheels fit various Mustangs.

·
Registered
2008 GT500 convertible
148 Posts
so many options, all depends on personal preferences.

i'm on my 3rd 05-09, for reference here is my 09 gt/cs

my approach would be selling the one you have and look for a nice california special or shelby gt, these have a wide price range, sometimes i see them for more than the gt500's or for what appears to be a good deal like this
2007 Shelby GT - cars & trucks - by owner - vehicle automotive sale (craigslist.org)

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
so many options, all depends on personal preferences.

i'm on my 3rd 05-09, for reference here is my 09 gt/cs
View attachment 213739

my approach would be selling the one you have and look for a nice california special or shelby gt, these have a wide price range, sometimes i see them for more than the gt500's or for what appears to be a good deal like this
2007 Shelby GT - cars & trucks - by owner - vehicle automotive sale (craigslist.org)
Wow! Beautiful. Thank you for sharing. Lots of great ideas for sure.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts