Ford Shelby GT500 Forum banner
21 - 40 of 77 Posts

·
Registered
2011 SVTPP GT500 Convertible, Silver
563 Posts
Your scenario gets completely demolished by the gains taxes you'd pay selling-off at the higher prices today. Any perceived profits would be washed by tax expenses realized when you sold. And I'm not foreseeing a 30% drop in the current market. If it happens it happens, but I'm not taking that wager.
How so? Not an accounting nerd but short-term cap gains is maybe 37% worst case? That's still >$6k ahead for basically getting to play with a fun car for a year. More than a year and I believe it then becomes a long term cap gain, which is more like 15%-20% or less. Very few cars I've ever owned go up in value and I typically get hosed so this is a nice bonus.

Not selling - I don't think I will - but I very well could wake up one morning and be over it. Not like it hasn't happened before.

·
Registered
2013 Shelby GT500
1,387 Posts
Could you sell your car for more than you paid…? Much more…? It gets a little more tempting when you could sell the car for 2-3 times what you paid not too long ago. This is what I see with my 93-04 Cobras, including the R.
Yeah, probably a little more than what we paid. It was right below $50 when we bought it in summer of 2019. It is a base, with a few options the original owner wanted. At the time it had 11,000 miles on it. It now has 13,240. Since it is a no-frills base GT500, perhaps we could $4K over what we paid????? So, no, mine will never be that valuable.

·
Registered
2013 Shelby GT500
1,387 Posts
I hear you. But you could sell it, take about 24-36 months off and then buy another one in similar shape for 70% of the price. The way things are going there will be fire sales in the future, what we're seeing now is just not sustainable. I can probably get $10k more than I paid for mine 12 months ago which is about a +/-37% ROI. It cannot go on like that, no freaking way.
I saw a news piece yesterday saying the new car shortages could last SEVERAL more years. So these car prices may last a bit longer, for both new and used.

·
Premium Member
4,445 Posts
How so? Not an accounting nerd but short-term cap gains is maybe 37% worst case? That's still >$6k ahead for basically getting to play with a fun car for a year. More than a year and I believe it then becomes a long term cap gain, which is more like 15%-20% or less. Very few cars I've ever owned go up in value and I typically get hosed so this is a nice bonus.

Not selling - I don't think I will - but I very well could wake up one morning and be over it. Not like it hasn't happened before.
I think you're on the "best-case-scenario" side of the equation, and I would not suggest that gamble.

I would agree, if you bought the car right, and you've enjoyed it for a year or two, and you can sell it for at/more than what you purchased it for, that's a SCORE! Free fun..

But when you wrap the notion of "then buy another in the future", that's where it falls apart. Just keep your car (as you likely will ;) ).

Reactions: REMIX and 03reptile

·
Premium Member
KEN (#1) '08 Vista Blue Vert, ROTM JAN. 2015
6,620 Posts
Could you sell your car for more than you paid…? …...
0H, oh... pick me...

I could !

...but not with what I have sunk into it with Mods !
:rolleyes: :(

I tend to keep more than I sell... SHELBY isn't going anywhere.

• Haha
Reactions: blackcad55

·
Premium Member
4,445 Posts
0H, oh... pick me...

I could !

...but not with what I have sunk into it with Mods !
:rolleyes: :(

I tend to keep more than I sell... SHELBY isn't going anywhere.
History rewards the patient collector.. ;)

Reactions: 'cause and Goose17

·
#1 Mike!
2019 Shelby GT350
9,210 Posts
Interesting read. I've finally found my dream car in the GT350. I've had a number of past GT500's with more power, but I really enjoy the GT350 as it is a perfect combination of power, suspension. and brakes. All of these complement one another in this GT350 package. It's like having a Porsche and Shelby all wrapped up in one. When this car is relinquished, I'll be pushing up daisies! I've been a staunch fan of the Shelby automobiles since their introduction in 1965, so there is no reason to consider anything else. For me it's a personal commitment to the Shelby name and product, not a financial process.

·
Premium Member
4,445 Posts
But fortune favors the bold.
Ahh, but it takes a bold person to forego the quick/easy profit and hold out for the longer-term huge profit. Bold investors don't day trade. ;)

·
Registered
2008 Shelby GT500
1,263 Posts
Ahh, but it takes a bold person to forego the quick/easy profit and hold out for the longer-term huge profit. Bold investors don't day trade. ;)
I dunno, I wish I had gotten in on the GameStop craze at 3 bucks, I woulda sold that pretty quick when it went over 30. Then again, I don't do anything with stocks, except complain at the speculators jacking oil up for no reason.

·
Premium Member
4,445 Posts
I dunno, I wish I had gotten in on the GameStop craze at 3 bucks, I woulda sold that pretty quick when it went over 30. Then again, I don't do anything with stocks, except complain at the speculators jacking oil up for no reason.
I steer clear of Wall Street myself. My pops has drilled into me my entire life, "invest in yourself".. :)

·
Premium Member
2020 gt500 Shadow Black
299 Posts
Yes, you would've done very well with GME at $3. Up +30% in afterhours trading today.

·
Premium Member
2009 SHELBY GT500KR
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #33 ·
Good book to read: "Rich Dad, Poor Dad."

·
Registered
2021 GT500
228 Posts
Anyone know what his asking price is? I’m interested in buying.

·
Moderator/Admin Dude!
2020 CFTP Red! 2011 Kona Blue
38,372 Posts

·
Premium Member
2009 SHELBY GT500KR
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #36 ·
Anyone know what his asking price is? I’m interested in buying.
Here's the FB link to the post and COBRA R group. If you join the group, you can probably inquire on the post to Chris.

·
Moderator/Admin Dude!
2020 CFTP Red! 2011 Kona Blue
38,372 Posts
He added a price:

Tire Car Wheel Automotive parking light Vehicle

·
Premium Member
7,242 Posts
Unless you have a dealers license, I've always thought that if you don't sell at a VERY GOOD PROFIT, you're gonna lose when you go to buy the replacement and have to pay all the sales tax, property tax, license fees, etc. to buy another one?? ..... not to mention all the work and headache of FINDING another one, shipping, inspection, and hoping it's really a good car ... AGAIN !!

(then again, maybe that's why I'm poor and drive old trucks ....... :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: ).

·
Premium Member
2009 SHELBY GT500KR
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #40 ·
..... it's sad when a guy can remember buying cars for $105.00 .......... :(
You can probably still get something for $105 but it will either be 1:24th scale, or a real car but, 'engine not included.' 🙂

21 - 40 of 77 Posts