Ford Shelby GT500 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 77 Posts

·
Premium Member
2009 SHELBY GT500KR
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This post is on FB where some dude is going to be selling a 2000 COBRA R. The thing that caught everyone's eye though is that the owner has 4 of this rare car (and that 93 COBRA too)!! That's crazy considering how low numbers these were. I know @Goose17 has 1 which is awesome.

Think you have to join the FB group to see the link, so here's the post pic:

Tire Wheel Car Vehicle Automotive tire

·
Registered
2013 GT500 in Red Candy.
21 Posts
That is awesome.....love all the R model Cobras and I owned a 93R and 95R back in the day but never moved up to the 2000R. Have the diecast though if that counts for something....lol. Both of my R model Cobras 93 & 95 are pictured in the SVT Mustang Cobra recognition guide. I worked with the late Tom Shreiner and shot some of the pics of my 93R for the guide. It was great fun to do the pics and have my car in that guide.

Steve

·
Moderator/Admin Dude!
2020 CFTP Red! 2011 Kona Blue
38,369 Posts
This post is on FB where some dude is going to be selling a 2000 COBRA R. The thing that caught everyone's eye though is that the owner has 4 of this rare car (and that 93 COBRA too)!! That's crazy considering how low numbers these were. I know @Goose17 has 1 which is awesome.

Think you have to join the FB group to see the link, so here's the post pic:

View attachment 227762
Yes, Chris is a FB friend. He is a serious collector.

The 2000 Cobra R is one of my favorite cars of all time! It’s just a unique different animal. It’s raw… it’s pure and it’s fun as hell to slide around.

·
Premium Member
2009 SHELBY GT500KR
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Yes, Chris is a FB friend. He is a serious collector.

The 2000 Cobra R is one of my favorite cars of all time! It’s just a unique different animal. It’s raw… it’s pure and it’s fun as hell to slide around.
Yeah I think I mentioned once before, as a Gen 4 Mustang owner (2x), to me that 2000 R is an absolute gem (call me odd, but I'd take one over a Terminator). I always had my eye on it. You are right about it being raw. I always thought that bigger NA engine was awesome! I used to try and calculate if I get one and make it road worthy, but it seemed a bit too impractical as a daily and truly meant for the track. I believe originally to buy one had to prove it would be used for racing correct?

·
Premium Member
2009 SHELBY GT500KR
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·

·
Moderator/Admin Dude!
38,369 Posts
Yeah I think I mentioned once before, as a Gen 4 Mustang owner (2x), to me that 2000 R is an absolute gem (call me odd, but I'd take one over a Terminator). I always had my eye on it. You are right about it being raw. I always thought that bigger NA engine was awesome! I used to try and calculate if I get one and make it road worthy, but it seemed a bit too impractical as a daily and truly meant for the track. I believe originally to buy one had to prove it would be used for racing correct?
00R vs. Terminator… both great cars… I have one of each. However, the 00R wins hands-down IMO. The Terminators have a cult-like following. They have much larger production numbers, so way more are in the game, plus you can mod a Terminator to make silly power. Stock for stock though, the R gets the nod. Also, when driving the R vs. a Terminator, the 03/04 feels soft/cushy/refined almost like a family sedan when compared to the R, which is 100% a race car and never lets you forget it was designed for the track. In pilot-speak, the R is a “stick and rudder airplane,” meaning it’s all manual and up to the pilot to manage. It gives great feedback and you feel connected to the machine.

For 93 & 95, a prospective buyer needed an active racing license to procure one. This requirement was dropped for the 00R.

·
Premium Member
2009 SHELBY GT500KR
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
/
00R vs. Terminator… both great cars… I have one of each. However, the 00R wins hands-down IMO. The Terminators have a cult-like following. They have much larger production numbers, so way more are in the game, plus you can mod a Terminator to make silly power. Stock for stock though, the R gets the nod. Also, when driving the R vs. a Terminator, the 03/04 feels soft/cushy/refined almost like a family sedan when compared to the R, which is 100% a race car and never lets you forget it was designed for the track. In pilot-speak, the R is a “stick and rudder airplane,” meaning it’s all manual and up to the pilot to manage. It gives great feedback and you feel connected to the machine.

For 93 & 95, a prospective buyer needed an active racing license to procure one. This requirement was dropped for the 00R.
100% agree with you you said from what I know, awesome insight!

·
Registered
2011 SVTPP GT500 Convertible, Silver
563 Posts
This is probably a very good time to sell one of these.

·
Moderator/Admin Dude!
38,369 Posts
This is probably a very good time to sell one of these.
It’s a very good time to sell any performance collector car! I am blown away at the sale prices I see on cars I own. Mine aren’t going anywhere though… they would be difficult to replace.

·
Moderator/Admin Dude!
38,369 Posts
Nah! It isn't about the money. I would miss my car in short order if we sold it, just because the money is so high right now.
Could you sell your car for more than you paid…? Much more…? It gets a little more tempting when you could sell the car for 2-3 times what you paid not too long ago. This is what I see with my 93-04 Cobras, including the R.

·
Premium Member
4,445 Posts

I agree 100%, 2000 Cobra R wins over Terminator by a landslide. Not just for collectability, but for driving excitement and giggles and satisfaction.

The active racing license was only a requirement for 1995. It was not required in 1993. The vast majority of 1993 R-models never saw the racetrack, and a good many never really saw the road either (all snapped-up by collectors), which is why Ford changed the rules for the '95 version.

Quite honestly, it was probably for the best that the 1993 Cobra R didn't see much racing activity, because the ones that DID get prepped and raced, got absolutely CLOBBERED by the new-for-1993 LT1-powered GM F-bodies. The 1993 R-model program, in retrospect, was far more a success for the collectors that it was for any racers.

The 1995 R-model, conversely, was the most-raced and the most-successful of the three R's on the track in formal competition. Which is why I staunchly believe that, in the end, when it all comes down, how ever many years from now, the 1995 R-model will eventually climb-up to join its R brethren in values.

When I ordered my '95 new, my step-father was racing a 1969 SS396 Camaro in NHRA Super Stock (he still has the car, an original L78 that's been a race car since the day it was new), and I sponsored him on the quarter panel. So... I used his license under the pretense of "company-driver", ordered the car through the business, and Ford gave the green light LOL.. Suckers... ;) ;) ;)

·
Registered
21 order canceled waiting on 22 hopefully
59 Posts
Could you sell your car for more than you paid…? Much more…? It gets a little more tempting when you could sell the car for 2-3 times what you paid not too long ago. This is what I see with my 93-04 Cobras, including the R.
Makes a guy wonder if you could cash in now and buy them back if/when the market softens. A bit of a gamble, but we have seen it before

·
Moderator/Admin Dude!
38,369 Posts
Makes a guy wonder if you could cash in now and buy them back if/when the market softens. A bit of a gamble, but we have seen it before
I could sell the lot now for hundreds of thousands of dollars. Problem is I am quite fond of the mileage and condition of my cars and would be hard-pressed to acquire similar condition cars in the future. Since I don’t need the money, they will just sit in my garage. It does make you think though…

·
Premium Member
4,445 Posts
With the Big-3 racing at top-speed towards an all-electric lineup (Chrysler just announced they'll be all-electric by 2028, GM shooting for 2035 but might ramp that up to compete), I don't see the market for classics and/or ICE performance cars softening much. Obviously, if we tumble into another long and dark recession/depression (the sooner the better for the next election cycle), the market might soften some.... SOME....

But, more-or-less I'm not predicting a backslide in values significant enough that you'd gamble on selling your fleet, only to find that you've realized a minor profit after going through the torture of trying to re-assemble it. Not to mention the TAXES you'd pay cashing it all out, that you'd likely never recover back if you purchased it all back at a cheaper rate.

Nope, best to be a hoarder and sit on your stash. The ride is just beginning.

Reactions: 'cause and Goose17

·
Registered
2011 SVTPP GT500 Convertible, Silver
563 Posts
Nah! It isn't about the money. I would miss my car in short order if we sold it, just because the money is so high right now.
I hear you. But you could sell it, take about 24-36 months off and then buy another one in similar shape for 70% of the price. The way things are going there will be fire sales in the future, what we're seeing now is just not sustainable. I can probably get $10k more than I paid for mine 12 months ago which is about a +/-37% ROI. It cannot go on like that, no freaking way.

·
Premium Member
4,445 Posts
I hear you. But you could sell it, take about 24-36 months off and then buy another one in similar shape for 70% of the price. The way things are going there will be fire sales in the future, what we're seeing now is just not sustainable. I can probably get $10k more than I paid for mine 12 months ago which is about a +/-37% ROI. It cannot go on like that, no freaking way.
Your scenario gets completely demolished by the gains taxes you'd pay selling-off at the higher prices today. Any perceived profits would be washed by tax expenses realized when you sold. And I'm not foreseeing a 30% drop in the current market. If it happens it happens, but I'm not taking that wager.

Reactions: SSSSLOW and Goose17

·
Registered
21 order canceled waiting on 22 hopefully
59 Posts
With the Big-3 racing at top-speed towards an all-electric lineup (Chrysler just announced they'll be all-electric by 2028, GM shooting for 2035 but might ramp that up to compete), I don't see the market for classics and/or ICE performance cars softening much. Obviously, if we tumble into another long and dark recession/depression (the sooner the better for the next election cycle), the market might soften some.... SOME....

But, more-or-less I'm not predicting a backslide in values significant enough that you'd gamble on selling your fleet, only to find that you've realized a minor profit after going through the torture of trying to re-assemble it. Not to mention the TAXES you'd pay cashing it all out, that you'd likely never recover back if you purchased it all back at a cheaper rate.

Nope, best to be a hoarder and sit on your stash. The ride is just beginning.
My only contrary thoughts to this are changing demographics. I see some of this on the local level, and not Barret Jackson level stuff, but it’s coming.

1 - 20 of 77 Posts