Ford Shelby GT500 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
444 Posts
my only downside to it is they are 9.5 inches wide just like the stock size wheel.......I was wanting a 10 inch wheel.

JJ

·
Registered
170 Posts
I believe those are the wheels on the Supersnake. I could be wrong but I thought I read that. GGBIW

·
Premium Member
356 Posts
Have them on mine, Chrome, and love em. They really dressed up Baby!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:D :D

The only down side I've had is 1 was damaged :( in shipment, and couldn't be balanced. Left a very slight wobble in the streeing wheel. But they took care of it quickly and sent out a replacement. So all is well. Whatever you put on, make sure you remember to have them re torqued after 10-100 miles.

·
Premium Member
533 Posts
Rotation weight if that is an issue for you. The bigger the rim, the bigger the tire, and more weight. Takes more HP to turn more weight. Splitting hairs I know but if your anal about the most performance than 20's would be an issue. I wanted the 18in razors, I called Shelby support and they said they would not work. I ask than how does my factory 18's clear the brakes and he said that rim was designed special for our cars and that standard 18in rims would not clear. :( I hate the words CAN'T AND NO. the most. Not sure if there is any 18inch rims that look good and will fit out cars ? My father raced a GTO back in the day and I drag raced motorcycles for a while so yes I am anal about performance...it is a curse that I can't shake. But the 20's look great don't get me wrong just I want 18's. Anyone have any ideas please post up.

·
Registered
170 Posts
Roush maybe. 'Black Jack" looks awesome. GGBIW

·
Registered
46 Posts
Rotation weight if that is an issue for you. The bigger the rim, the bigger the tire, and more weight. Takes more HP to turn more weight. Splitting hairs I know but if your anal about the most performance than 20's would be an issue. I wanted the 18in razors, I called Shelby support and they said they would not work. I ask than how does my factory 18's clear the brakes and he said that rim was designed special for our cars and that standard 18in rims would not clear. :( I hate the words CAN'T AND NO. the most. Not sure if there is any 18inch rims that look good and will fit out cars ? My father raced a GTO back in the day and I drag raced motorcycles for a while so yes I am anal about performance...it is a curse that I can't shake. But the 20's look great don't get me wrong just I want 18's. Anyone have any ideas please post up.
Ok I see we are thinking the same way, but wouldn't it make a better improvement with how light the ALCOA's are compared to stock or no? That's my problem I love the look of the 20'S BUT was waiting to see if we would could buy the 18's on the production KR to keep the wheel & tire as light as possible. Someone chime in with the 20's here how's the weight?

·
Registered
147 Posts
Just saw pics of a set of Razors someone had widened to 10.5. They say there are no clearence problems as of yet, but are still installing stuff.

I'll see if I can find the post on another site.

I've been waiting on silver 20" Razors since NOVEMEBER. Since I'm posting here, I'll say, SAI has 80 sets that they are sitting on and not sending to the parts side of the house. When I first ordered, SPP said that their shipment had been mis-shipped to SAI and it'd be a couple of weeks. That was Nov. When I called back in Jan. they said the wheels were never theirs, they were SAIs.

So I'm waiting on a new shipment to clear customs before I can buy mine from Discount Tire. I do not wish to comment on why they wouldn't part with one set after I had been waiting since November. And I never got a straight answer.

Discount Tire has done what they can, but American Racing has said they discontinued normal production for the GT500 and will only make them in lots of 60.

And my second choice, the CS67 won't even fit a GT500. What a great business decision. Make a Shelby wheel and it not fit a Shelby.

But I do love my car.

EDIT: Here's the thread on another site for the 10.5 widened Razor
10.5 Razor Wheel

·
Premium Member
356 Posts
Just saw pics of a set of Razors someone had widened to 10.5. They say there are no clearence problems as of yet, but are still installing stuff.

I'll see if I can find the post on another site.

I've been waiting on silver 20" Razors since NOVEMEBER. Since I'm posting here, I'll say, SAI has 80 sets that they are sitting on and not sending to the parts side of the house. When I first ordered, SPP said that their shipment had been mis-shipped to SAI and it'd be a couple of weeks. That was Nov. When I called back in Jan. they said the wheels were never theirs, they were SAIs.

So I'm waiting on a new shipment to clear customs before I can buy mine from Discount Tire. I do not wish to comment on why they wouldn't part with one set after I had been waiting since November. And I never got a straight answer.

Discount Tire has done what they can, but American Racing has said they discontinued normal production for the GT500 and will only make them in lots of 60.

And my second choice, the CS67 won't even fit a GT500. What a great business decision. Make a Shelby wheel and it not fit a Shelby.

But I do love my car.

EDIT: Here's the thread on another site for the 10.5 widened Razor
10.5 Razor Wheel
Have the 20" Chrome Razors on mine. They are SWEET!!!!!! Get a lot of compliments on them...:D

·
Premium Member
356 Posts

·
Registered
80 Posts
I just discovered this thread after doing a search for 20" wheels. I just put 20" wheels on my car yesterday, and I have already noticed significant difference in the ride. I am not thinking it is for the better. The car appears to accelerate much slower, and the rpm's rev up extremely quickly.

I know that the 40th Anniversary and Super Snake packages lower the suspension. Does this alter the way the car drives, or is this solely for handling? I knew things would change a bit when I purchased the wheels, but I wasn't expecting anything this drastic.

·
Premium Member
721 Posts
I just discovered this thread after doing a search for 20" wheels. I just put 20" wheels on my car yesterday, and I have already noticed significant difference in the ride. I am not thinking it is for the better. The car appears to accelerate much slower, and the rpm's rev up extremely quickly.

I know that the 40th Anniversary and Super Snake packages lower the suspension. Does this alter the way the car drives, or is this solely for handling? I knew things would change a bit when I purchased the wheels, but I wasn't expecting anything this drastic.
I think for the most part, the more sidewall the better the ride. When you go to 20" wheels and mount tires to keep the overall diameter the same you sacrifice sidewall.

As you go larger and larger with the wheels you're getting closer to a solid rubber tire & worse ride. JMHO

·
Registered
239 Posts
These threads are very informative. The way I see it, if I lower the car AND go to 20's AND keep the same tire height, my overall ride quality will suffer. I am good on the 18's...... since lower and wider are my top priorities.

·
Registered
72 Posts
I have lowered my car but retained the 18" wheels and stock tire sizes. I would not say it is a given that lowering the car will automatically cause a harsher ride. The 20" wheels, because of the shorter sidewall height, as explained above, almost certainly will harshen the ride by themselves. I have no direct experience so I won't comment further.
I have installed the Steeda GT500 springs and Tokico D-Specs. I just put 1700 miles on the car in a trip from VA to CT, and MA and back. I am very happy with the ride quality even on the often poor roads in the Northeast. While the ride was slightly more firm than stock, the car was far more controlled over ratty roads than stock. If I didn't like the ride, I could always have backed off the D-spec setting to something softer, though I never did. I used the Tokico recommendations of full hard, then back off five turns for the front, four and a half turns for the rear. I am a veteran of many car-lowerings to improve handling over the years. This latest one with the GT500 is the most balanced of any. I had some worries about ride quality based on my past experiences, but those worries never came to pass.
I expect the FRPP suspension with some kind of adjustable shocks would produce similar results. I'm sure others with other manufacturers' products will chime in here.
Perhaps someone with one of those suspensions (with adjustable shocks) could comment. However, much of this is pretty subjective. I took a buddy in CT for a 'demo' ride and he couldn't believe how well the car handled (just short of soiled trousers for him). I did comment I was surprised how soft the suspension actually was. He considered it 'firm'. 'Course his daily driver is a Prius . . .

·
Registered
147 Posts
When I made the switch it was important to me to retain some of the ride. I had a "slammed" McLaren Mustang with a very stiff suspension and almost no sidewall and although you could go 70 in any direction at any morment, a simple 100 mile trip left you exhausted and worn out.

I lowered my Shelby with a "vert" specific spring and at that time Steeda was the only one out there that had one, and with the quality and craftsmanship I've learned to expect from them over the years, it was no surprise that it was exactly what I was looking for.

The ride and handling with the OEM tires and wheels were good, the ride was very nice, but handling and traction left a lot to be desired.

I selected the 20" Silver Razor and mounted Nitto INVOs on them. For me, just wanting a street car (no serious drag racing or tracking), this was for me, a great combo.

The ride is almost as nice as the 18 with sidewall, the traction is far better than the OEM (although still not great or as good as drag radials) but the surprise for me was how much quieter the tire is on the road, especially with the top down.

This fall I'm planning on having two more Razors widened to hold a 315/20 for the back.

The only real shortfall and a bit of frustration for me was the Razor wheel itself. I had a terrible intermintent shimmy that would not go away. I finally discovered through our different Shelby Forums that that wheel really needs a small plastic hubcentric ring installed at the same time. They are like $15 for the four of them and just slip on, and it just about completely eliminates the shimmy 100% of the time...of course our great west Texas roads, you can never tell if it was the car or the poor road construction. Shelby should have required any wheel for the GT500 that is manufactuered by American Racing to include those rings, and the frustration would be a mute point.

All in all I'm very happy with the setup I have now and enjoy driving the car every chance I get.

·
Premium Member
356 Posts
I'm with you. Not drag, or track work for My Baby, so my 20" Chrome Razors are great. She's lowered, and steadied by EVO Prof as well. Sticks on road curves like Gorilla Glue... And they look sweet. Goodrich G Force are a fairly noisy tire though. . Need less noise with next set of rubber!!! 22K and STILL in Love!!!!!!!!!!!!!

·
Premium Member
251 Posts
Can we see some pics ?

1 - 20 of 24 Posts