Ford Shelby GT500 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
2020 GT500
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
How did they deactivate it? I thought it was more involved than simply removing it with a tune.
Good question. I haven’t really heard much at all on this topic from any of the big name tuners.

·
Registered
2021 GT500 CFHP
73 Posts
Just a matter of time until someone did it, hope it doesn’t make like an airplane.

·
Moderator/Admin Dude!
2020 CFTP Red! 2011 Kona Blue
32,587 Posts
Yep. Seems pretty stable at that speed - never did hear an official reason for why the governor was put in place.
From what I had heard/read, it was a financial decision... it is apparently easier/cheaper to certify a car limited to 180 vs. 200.

I’ve been to 175 in the car... this was with the wing in the up position. I can attest it is quite stable at speed. I was actually surprised by the wing... I always thought it was only for higher speed turns, to assist grip. The wing worked well at speed in a straight line. I could feel it pushing the rear down... when I’d hit a bump, the wing would instantly push the car back to the road with zero unsettling. The car was glued to the road and very stable. This is a completely different feeling from what I got in my 2011 at 145.

·
Registered
2020 GT500
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
From what I had heard/read, it was a financial decision... it is apparently easier/cheaper to certify a car limited to 180 vs. 200.

I’ve been to 175 in the car... this was with the wing in the up position. I can attest it is quite stable at speed. I was actually surprised by the wing... I always thought it was only for higher speed turns, to assist grip. The wing worked well at speed in a straight line. I could feel it pushing the rear down... when I’d hit a bump, the wing would instantly push the car back to the road with zero unsettling. The car was glued to the road and very stable. This is a completely different feeling from what I got in my 2011 at 145.
Financial reasons would make the most sense, I really don't think there's any technical reason for it? Mine has felt super stable also the couple of times I've gotten near those speeds with just the swing + gurney flap.

·
Premium Member
2020 Shelby GT500 base + handling pack
734 Posts
Yeah I only ever had my '13 GT to 120 and it was a lot more stable than my '90 LX was at 110 but still a bit floaty.
This car is sooo easy to speed in lol.

I've heard the financial reason too - there's also probably more scrutiny for a 200+ car.
I thought the tires were only rated to 186, but I checked again and they are 186+.

Supposedly it's stock, but just with the limiter deactivated.
This video is cut short, but it really looks like the car is running out of steam - at that rate I don't know if it would have crawled up to 200 given enough run.

·
Registered
2020 GT500
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Supposedly it's stock, but just with the limiter deactivated.
This video is cut short, but it really looks like the car is running out of steam - at that rate I don't know if it would have crawled up to 200 given enough run.
Yep, definitely seemed to be slowing down. With enough runway I'm thinking 200 might still be possible especially if he was running the aero bits?

·
Registered
189 Posts
If you look close at the beginning, the video was of the base car - no splitter wickers or gurney flap. it is the least amount of downforce Ford sells on that car.

·
Registered
2020 GT500
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
If you look close at the beginning, the video was of the base car - no splitter wickers or gurney flap. it is the least amount of downforce Ford sells on that car.
Assuming the car was in that configuration when the dash was recorded...

·
Premium Member
2020 Shelby GT500 base + handling pack
734 Posts
I know that the aero bits increase drag --- but how much. Pretty sure the video of the guy hitting the limiter on the dry lake had the wickers on (I'll have to go back and look), but he definitely had the CFTP, and I would think the wing produces more downforce than the swing even in the street position.
And don't forget, having the rain tray out also produces downforce.

I guess technically, you would lose a few MPH from the drag - but I think the wind resistance of the car itself would be more limiting.

I don't know - maybe I'm just looking at it from --- hey Ford limited me to 180 MPH in my 195 MPH capable car is pretty cool vs they limited my (made up number) 210 MPH car to 180....
But, I'm not a racer/drag racer --- I get that it matters :)

·
Registered
189 Posts
I know that the aero bits increase drag --- but how much. Pretty sure the video of the guy hitting the limiter on the dry lake had the wickers on (I'll have to go back and look), but he definitely had the CFTP, and I would think the wing produces more downforce than the swing even in the street position.

I guess technically, you would lose a few MPH from the drag - but I think the wind resistance of the car itself would be more limiting.

I don't know - maybe I'm just looking at it from --- hey Ford limited me to 180 MPH in my 195 MPH capable car is pretty cool vs they limited my (made up number) 210 MPH car to 180....
Are you talking about Shmee? He has the green CFTP car and if I recall correctly he had ALL the aero pieces on when he was on the salt flats. I don't know what setting his rear wing was in though. He hit 183mph if I recall.

·
Registered
2020 GT500
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·

Interesting points, the instructors at the track attack (I was just there last week) specifically mentioned just leaving the aero bits on will have a SIGNIFICANT effect on both mph and ET on a 1/4 mile. Even specific numbers were mentioned but I can't for the life of me remember what they were. I was pretty pooped from all the heat, lol.

·
Registered
189 Posts
Interesting points, the instructors at the track attack (I was just there last week) specifically mentioned just leaving the aero bits on will have a SIGNIFICANT effect on both mph and ET on a 1/4 mile. Even specific numbers were mentioned but I can't for the life of me remember what they were. I was pretty pooped from all the heat, lol.
on the Track Attack point...I am watching the website for September/October dates to show up so I wont fry in the NC sun! Hopefully they post them soon, I'm getting anxious. lol

·
Registered
189 Posts

FYI...Shmee150 does 183mph and says he felt like there was a limiter...

10:48 is where his run starts...

Full CFTP car, not sure about the rain tray, I suspect that it's installed...

1 - 20 of 27 Posts