Ford Shelby GT500 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
2021 Shelby GT500 CFTP Perf Blue
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm looking for the carbon fiber outside mirror caps for a 20/21 Shelby GT500. I know Shelby sells them (backordered for sometime) and MPR Performance also had them, but it looks like they may be out of business. Does anyone know who else sells these? I do not want the carbon fiber cover that goes over the existing mirrors, but a replacement carbon fiber cap. Thanks in advance!

·
Moderator/Admin Dude!
2020 CFTP Red! 2011 Kona Blue
43,024 Posts
I'm looking for the carbon fiber outside mirror caps for a 20/21 Shelby GT500. I know Shelby sells them (backordered for sometime) and MPR Performance also had them, but it looks like they may be out of business. Does anyone know who else sells these? I do not want the carbon fiber cover that goes over the existing mirrors, but a replacement carbon fiber cap. Thanks in advance!
Welcome to the forum! If you are up for introducing yourself and showing us your ride, you’ll find our new member area here:

·
Registered
2020 gt500 cftp painted stripes
58 Posts
Mpr has mirror caps

·
Premium Member
2021 GT500 Shelby CFTP Painted White Stripes
285 Posts
I’ve been looking for carbon fiber replacement mirror covers And like you said everybody was back ordered, so I bought these temporarily and actually very pleased with them. Because our mirror caps are black it’s hard to see that it’s actually just a cover and not a complete replacement, carbon fiber is an exact match to our carbon fiber pieces https://www.americanmuscle.com/mmd-cf-mirror-covers-lights-1516.html[/QUOTE]

·
Premium Member
285 Posts
I’ve been looking for carbon fiber replacement mirror covers And like you said everybody was back ordered, so I bought these temporarily and actually very pleased with them. Because our mirror caps are black it’s hard to see that it’s actually just a cover and not a complete replacement, carbon fiber is an exact match to our carbon fiber pieces https://www.americanmuscle.com/mmd-cf-mirror-covers-lights-1516.html[/QUOTE]
For some reason the link wasn’t working, let’s try again

·
Moderator/Admin Dude!
43,024 Posts
I have the covers that go over top. They look fantastic! I parked next to a buddy at a car show that had the replacement versions. He was disappointed that ours looked the same. Mine was waaay cheaper.

Reactions: Todd Turbo S

·
Premium Member
285 Posts
Here are a couple of pictures I took to help illustrate the very slight reveal my CF covers has because the CF covers are just a hair short of covering the OEM black mirror covers. If you didn’t know the color of the existing covers you would probably think the reveal is by design.

I also tried to capture the CF weave, extremely good match to our CF spoiler and interior trim.

I will be replacing these with Anderson full mirror replacement as soon as they are back in stock.

Attachments

Reactions: Goose17

·
Moderator/Admin Dude!
43,024 Posts
Just snapped pics of my covers. One thing I did to assist in getting the covers fully seated was to spray the insides of the covers as well as the mirrors that have thin tape on them with detail spray. This allowed me to slide the covers on all the way. The covers were hanging up on the tape and stopping short when I tried installing them dry at first.

Automotive parking light Car Vehicle Grille Automotive lighting
Automotive parking light Automotive tail & brake light Mirror Automotive side-view mirror Automotive lighting
Automotive parking light Automotive tail & brake light Car Grille Vehicle

Reactions: Todd Turbo S

·
Premium Member
285 Posts
Just snapped pics of my covers. One thing I did to assist in getting the covers fully seated was to spray the insides of the covers as well as the mirrors that have thin tape on them with detail spray. This allowed me to slide the covers on all the way. The covers were hanging up on the tape and stopping short when I tried installing them dry at first.

View attachment 227988 View attachment 227989 View attachment 227990
Nice job. Figured mine was user error. I installed these CF mirror covers on my wife’s Tesla and their instructions called to Saturate the existing mirror covers with 70% Rubbing alcohol and tape with Gorilla tape for 24 hours. I think this created the same slipper fact you’re referring too. The alcohol apparently doesn’t interfere with the 3M tape dissipates, I should have done the same with the mustang

Attachments

·
Premium Member
285 Posts
Nice job. Figured mine was user error. I installed these CF mirror covers on my wife’s Tesla and their instructions called to Saturate the existing mirror covers with 70% Rubbing alcohol and tape with Gorilla tape for 24 hours. I think this created the same slipper fact you’re referring too. The alcohol apparently doesn’t interfere with the 3M tape dissipates, I should have done the same with the mustang
Here is the install video for those that want to try this method.

Reactions: DKnight and Goose17

·
Premium Member
285 Posts
I’m kind of a nut for CF mirror caps. Here is pictures of full replacements for my 08 MB CLK BS, Gen2 Raptor and G63.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
2020 Kona Bl CFTP 2017 GT Black
175 Posts
I bought the CF covers for both my 17GT and 20 500. Didn't want to put on the 500 first. Should have used Goose17's method first. I have a slight reveal on the mirrors. Not really happy with the reveal but was afraid to take off and not be able to remove the double-sided tape without damaging the mirrors. Can anyone give me a way to remove the double-sided tape so I can reinstall using Goose's method hopefully getting rid of the reveal. .

·
Moderator/Admin Dude!
43,024 Posts
I bought the CF covers for both my 17GT and 20 500. Didn't want to put on the 500 first. Should have used Goose17's method first. I have a slight reveal on the mirrors. Not really happy with the reveal but was afraid to take off and not be able to remove the double-sided tape without damaging the mirrors. Can anyone give me a way to remove the double-sided tape so I can reinstall using Goose's method hopefully getting rid of the reveal. .
Haven’t tried removing, but I’d wait for a hot sunny day… let the car sit in the direct sun thus warming the mirrors. Then start pulling/lifting. Dental floss or fishing line might help, but also might mar the original mirror covers.

You can buy replacement thin 3M tape.

·
Premium Member
285 Posts
I removed mine the first time around and like he said, purchased 3m tape Lon Amazon and reapplied. I used a heat gun, go slowly heating it up on the lowest setting and not too close. Pull evenly on the cf cover, and try to avoid pulling just one area do you don’t crack the covers

·
Premium Member
285 Posts

·
Registered
2021 GT500 CFTP, 2022 CFTP HE June 24th
163 Posts
I have the covers that go over top. They look fantastic! I parked next to a buddy at a car show that had the replacement versions. He was disappointed that ours looked the same. Mine was waaay cheaper.

Yep. Goose is right. I have these as well. Way better option.

·
Premium Member
'22 GT500 Heritage In the House!!
222 Posts
OK, those look too cool. Just ordered.

The detail spray didn't prevent the 3M tape from adhering?

·
Moderator/Admin Dude!
43,024 Posts
OK, those look too cool. Just ordered.

The detail spray didn't prevent the 3M tape from adhering?
The spray worked like a champ. It dried and the caps haven’t moved.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts