Ford Shelby GT500 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
First race on our own little drag strip was 09 GT 500 with tune and cold air against 08 LS3 auto with performance axle ratio, all stock. Both our cars with about 2000 miles on odometers. Had to go rolling start due to Shelby not hooking up, trying to get accurate picture of how they stacked up. Corvette won this one by about 2 lengths. I thought the Shelby should have done better. I dont think the tune and cold air helped much at all. Next race was buddys 07 GT500 with tune, cold air and pulley. Rolling start again. Give this one to the shelby by about 2 lengths. I cant complain about that as the LS3 has 436 hp. Last race our Z against buddys GT. Again a rolling start, Z is all stock with about 2000 miles. Raced about 6 times, a few missed shifts by shelby we wont count. Beat him by about 5 lengths on his good runs. Z has a better shifter so missed shifts arent a problem. Now had we gone from a dead start I think the auto corvette would have beat the 07 shelby because it hooks and is gone where the shelby just cant get traction. Z would have pulled more lengths also cause it hooks way better than either shelby. I am not putting down shelby cause we have one and I really like it. Its problems as I see it compared to the corvettes is way too heavy, poor shifter, and it just cant get the power to the ground. The auto corvette has run a best of 12.3 at 115 in good air at 1700 elevation. Probably the most car for the money of the three. A similar 08 Z I had last year ran a best of 7.5 in eigth mile in hot weather at 3500 elevation. Sorry this got a little long.

·
Registered
3 Posts
A Showroom Stock LS3 with Z51 (Includes lower trans gears) has run 11's stock but that takes an incredible driver like really low 12's from a stock GT500. The Showroom Stock Z06 has been 10's again with a extremely talented driver. On the other hand a Base Automatic Vette with the standard low performance gears has been known to run 12.2 for drivers of only moderate caliber. If you are facing up against even the lowliest of the C6 6.2L+ Vettes with a stock Gt500 you had better be on your game.

Gene

·
Registered
23 Posts
I have a 07 GT500 with a JLT, a tune, a pulley and a good set of Nitto 555R's. Now my buddy has a stock 08 Z06 6 spd and he wants to race from a role? Will I get beat? I am a really good shifter and never blow a gear(knock on wood). I just don't want to race if if I am gonna get beat? I hate losing more then anybody I know.

If he beats me I am ordering a Kenne Bell asap! HHHMMM, maybe I will let him win? Not!

Any feed back?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
here is a vid of one of the closest races, the zo6 was about 5 lengths ahead of the shelby at the end of the quater!! the shelby really sounded nice!

·
Registered
806 Posts
I don't think running a ZO6 from a roll is a smart thing to do. There "Hooking" ability is even worst then a GT500s. I've spanked 3 of them on the track so far, never run one from a roll though.

·
Registered
806 Posts
I have a 07 GT500 with a JLT, a tune, a pulley and a good set of Nitto 555R's. Now my buddy has a stock 08 Z06 6 spd and he wants to race from a role? Will I get beat? I am a really good shifter and never blow a gear(knock on wood). I just don't want to race if if I am gonna get beat? I hate losing more then anybody I know.

If he beats me I am ordering a Kenne Bell asap! HHHMMM, maybe I will let him win? Not!

Any feed back?
Run him from a dig, it will be very close, if you are any good. Get some 3.73s and spank that thing all day long.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Run him from a dig, it will be very close, if you are any good. Get some 3.73s and spank that thing all day long.
Funny...I have a bone stock 2009 Shelby, out of the hole the Zo6 got me by one length and I held him until he shifted...I would jump a tad on him every shift (he obviously sux at shifting)
then we were at 40 miles an hour and tried again WE WERE DEAD EVEN UNTIL WE QUIT AROUND 100MPH!!!
in that video posted it sounded like the shelby shifted at 4000rpm, he sould eat up the Z06 even without shifting properly....with a tune and pulley that is

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
09 shelby... i gaurentee you that the shelby stock will in no way shape or form run with the zo6, we have both. The guy was not driving that zo6 hard if you stayed with him.. Thats all im going to say about this topic, its very hard to agruee with someone that has both cars the z and the shelby and tell them the a shelby can keep up. We love are shelby but its apples to oranges.

·
Registered
32 Posts
09 shelby... i gaurentee you that the shelby stock will in no way shape or form run with the zo6, we have both. The guy was not driving that zo6 hard if you stayed with him.. Thats all im going to say about this topic, its very hard to agruee with someone that has both cars the z and the shelby and tell them the a shelby can keep up. We love are shelby but its apples to oranges.
I must have a one of a kind Shelby then....500hp Shelby to a 505hp Vette, seems likely to me. except for the extra weight.
I raced 3 Z06's (every one of us completely stock) at the track I beat 1 (cause he lit up the tires off the lights)
lost to the other two within 1 length. thats four I have tangled with, they are a strong car no doubt, but beat the Shelby.....not by much, very evenly matched, I know with a tune and an intake it should be me by a length...

just going by my experiences....

·
Registered
1,379 Posts
Gotta chime in on this one.

Yeah, I think the Shelby has much more spirit and spunk than a Vette. That said, its hard to beat a stock C6 Z06 Vette.

We need to remember that this is not why we bought our Shelby. I think you could beat ANY vette with the stipulation that all four passengers shake hands before and after the race.

They are totally different cars. Shelby is all muscle, and to even think about beating a 2 seater race/track car like this is pretty ambitious and also really darn cool if you win.

Look at the Griggs GR40TT vids at You Tube for some inspiration if you want, but the Z06 (and god forbid the ZR1) are gonna be hard to beat

TD

·
Registered
32 Posts
Sounds like you are a good driver. Are you running stock tires or drag. If drag-what kind?:)
Sorry it took so long to get back to you on this one, tires are bone stock Good year F1s, mind you so were all the Z06's (stock street tires)

BTW I have ordered the MT ET streets 305 40 18 for the back....on stock wheels

REALLY hoping to dip in the low 12's high 11's with the steet slicks and the Evolution stage 2 kit.
best stock was 13.2 at 114mph

·
Registered
867 Posts
I race rockets all the time .......and win on the stock shityears. Probably all 600s though.

·
Registered
103 Posts
I must have a one of a kind Shelby then....500hp Shelby to a 505hp Vette, seems likely to me. except for the extra weight.
I raced 3 Z06's (every one of us completely stock) at the track I beat 1 (cause he lit up the tires off the lights)
lost to the other two within 1 length. thats four I have tangled with, they are a strong car no doubt, but beat the Shelby.....not by much, very evenly matched, I know with a tune and an intake it should be me by a length...

just going by my experiences....
Um extra weight? The shelby is 3900 and the vette is 3100. Thats 800 pounds, and dont forget the vette is way more aerodynamic than the shelby. I call bs.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Um extra weight? The shelby is 3900 and the vette is 3100. Thats 800 pounds, and dont forget the vette is way more aerodynamic than the shelby. I call bs.
call it what you will, I call it like I see it.....from a rolling start at 40mph that Zo6 cannot pull one inch on me we are DEAD EVEN!! this has been done many many times both cars are very low milers and both are 2009 model year cars. however he can always pull me by a length out of the hole.
Installing my evolution stage 2 kit next week, and Im not guessing here...I KNOW I will eat him up.....absolutely no question there..

look on you tube Z06 = 440rwhp
talked to evolution performance they dyno tune the stock gt500 from around 430-450hp rwhp, do I have a GT500 that makes the 450rwhp?
I simply do not believe that no one cannot see that these cars are bang on for hp, I have raced a crap load of them and have only lost by a length at worst, hell my best friend has the 2009 Zo6 so....many many line ups have been done.
so call bs as you will, but Im speaking from experience
800 lbs difference in cars is what 1/2 a car length at the most?

·
Registered
83 Posts
talked to evolution performance they dyno tune the stock gt500 from around 430-450hp rwhp, do I have a GT500 that makes the 450rwhp?
May be. Mine (w/engine hot) only made 412 rwhp stock and after installing evo's stage II (while engine was still warm) only made 509 rwhp. Went from 420 rwt to 520 rwt. In short, 97 exta horses and 100 extra lbs of torque.

By the way, while the tune was ok, the shop that dyno'd, installed the stage II kit and then re-dyno'd, said there was probaby another "safe" 30 horses that could be had for tweaking evo's tune.

Just remember that...whomever you get a tune from, it will most likely need to be fine tuned. In evo's case, when I called them and asked about the tune, they couldn't wait to get me off the phone. Also, they never answered my e-mail. However, when talking about buying something from them, they had no problems staying on the phone or answering e-mail.

One more thought to go along with this. No matter who you get the tune from, it will more then likely not be the best, as each car is different and the mailed tunes are averages....so, you'll need to get your tune tweaked and re-dyno'd...which is extra dollars. So before you spend $400.00 on an evo tune, try a well known and reputable local tuner to do it right the first time and save time and money...or go with Jon Lund or VMP who have good after sales service (from everything I've read about them) and will tweak your mailed tune.

Just my 3 cents

·
Registered
27 Posts
May be. Mine (w/engine hot) only made 412 rwhp stock and after installing evo's stage II (while engine was still warm) only made 509 rwhp. Went from 420 rwt to 520 rwt. In short, 97 exta horses and 100 extra lbs of torque.

By the way, while the tune was ok, the shop that dyno'd, installed the stage II kit and then re-dyno'd, said there was probaby another "safe" 30 horses that could be had for tweaking evo's tune.

Just remember that...whomever you get a tune from, it will most likely need to be fine tuned. In evo's case, when I called them and asked about the tune, they couldn't wait to get me off the phone. Also, they never answered my e-mail. However, when talking about buying something from them, they had no problems staying on the phone or answering e-mail.

One more thought to go along with this. No matter who you get the tune from, it will more then likely not be the best, as each car is different and the mailed tunes are averages....so, you'll need to get your tune tweaked and re-dyno'd...which is extra dollars. So before you spend $400.00 on an evo tune, try a well known and reputable local tuner to do it right the first time and save time and money...or go with Jon Lund or VMP who have good after sales service (from everything I've read about them) and will tweak your mailed tune.

Just my 3 cents
Modding a GT500 engine by adding a smaller pulley wo/first upgrading your Heat Exchanger is just wasting money. GT500 engines pull timing when HOT and you lose all the power you gained with a pulley.

And mail order tunes are only a STARTING POINT. You still should get it tweaked on a dyno.

·
Registered
92 Posts
I've owned both cars. I was fairly even in my z06 with a friends GT500 but he had tune, intake, throttle body exhaust and 3:73s.
I will say that the Z06 has longer legs, better traction, weight and aerodynamics. When we raced, I felt like if we kept going the Z would pull up top.

I think that without the gearing, he will pull you from a roll.

·
Registered
15 Posts
I have a stock Zo6 and i got a [email protected] and on the same day i drove a 2008 gt with jlt,pulley, tensioner and tune (538rwhp) to a [email protected] 122.. its a drivers race but i feel its harder to put the power down on the gt of the line.
one good thing about the gt was it had 20' saleen wheels so i could stay in 3rd through the traps

1 - 20 of 24 Posts