Ford Shelby GT500 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
2009 Shelby GT500 Vista Blue/White Stripes
398 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I removed my 2.9L Whipple SC today so that I can install my ID 1050 X fuel injectors and this is what I found under my SC and inside the crusher inlet. I don't know if it's normal or not. There was a small puddle in the inlet until I turned the SC upside down and it spread out and also it can be seen on my intake manifold and intercooler. Is this normal or not? Do I need to install a driver's side oil separator and why am I getting oil on this side and hardly any on the passengers side? I have the passenger one installed and I hardly ever get any oil in it, maybe 10 drops in a 2 year period. My engine burns no oil.

My other question is how do I tighten "That Bolt", you know the one, on the SC with the bypass hose directly in the way. I managed to pop the hose off so that I could finally get a good shot at it to remove it, but I don't think that I can leave the hose off to tighten it and have room to install it afterwards.

My other concern is that "That Bolt" appeared to be loose and the one directly in front of it was definitely loose which could have caused my cold idling problems. When it was warm I had no problems. It never threw a CEL for this either. It would just go into engine fail safe mode and I had to restart it several times to for it to run properly. I also did several smoke tests, but I never saw smoke come out anywhere except for one time smoke appeared under the bypass valve and then it never happened again.

Also, should I change my intake gasket or just clean up the one I have which looks like a royal pain to clean. What could be used to clean it?

After I put everything back together can I drive the 20 miles to my tuner with the new injectors as long as I stay out of boost? I have no gauges installed to go by.

Any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated or if someone has already done this that knows.

The oil may be hard to see on some of the pictures but it is there and appears as a light film.

·
Moderator/Admin Dude!
2020 Rapid Red/black 2011 Kona Blue/white
31,672 Posts
The oil is normal. What catch can do you have on your passenger side? I have the revised JLT with my 2.9 Whipple and mine catches a bunch of oil. I dump the canister with each oil change and it’s typically 2/3rds full. I also have one on my driver’s side, but it only gets a light mist in there.

As for the gasket, I’d just clean it. Did you use RTV to glue your Whipple down? You are supposed to per the instructions.

As for driving to your tuner, this is a common practice and shouldn’t hurt anything if you baby it and stay out of boost.

Some threads that will help you:

See post number 25 of this thread:

·
Registered
398 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The oil is normal. What catch can do you have on your passenger side? I have the revised JLT with my 2.9 Whipple and mine catches a bunch of oil. I dump the canister with each oil change and it’s typically 2/3rds full. I also have one on my driver’s side, but it only gets a light mist in there.

As for the gasket, I’d just clean it. Did you use RTV to glue your Whipple down? You are supposed to per the instructions.

As for driving to your tuner, this is a common practice and shouldn’t hurt anything if you baby it and stay out of boost.

Some threads that will help you:

See post number 25 of this thread:

I have the JLT that was available in 2009, not the 3.0, as the previous owner did it as well as the Whipple. Looks like black RTV or similar to me. Maybe my engine is confused and doesn't know it's supposed to be catching oil. :rolleyes:

I read your Whipple install post. Great write up. Was your bypass hose in the way? There was no mention of it. I would think it had to have been since we have the same SC.

I have the Fore fuel rails that don't need painting, but on another note they are taller which is giving me more torture for getting at that bolt than the stock ones.

Thanks for the info and comments.

·
Moderator/Admin Dude!
31,672 Posts
I have the JLT that was available in 2009, not the 3.0, as the previous owner did it as well as the Whipple. Looks like black RTV or similar to me. Maybe my engine is confused and doesn't know it's supposed to be catching oil. :rolleyes:

I read your Whipple install post. Great write up. Was your bypass hose in the way? There was no mention of it. I would think it had to have been since we have the same SC.

I have the Fore fuel rails that don't need painting, but on another note they are taller which is giving me more torture for getting at that bolt than the stock ones.

Thanks for the info and comments.
I did the Whipple mod back in 2012... I don’t recall a bypass hose issue. Did you see it in any of my pics in that thread?

I included the painted rails thread since it talks about getting at that hidden bolt. Since you are putting your rails on before the supercharger, it shouldn’t be an issue though.

·
Registered
398 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I did the Whipple mod back in 2012... I don’t recall a bypass hose issue. Did you see it in any of my pics in that thread?

I included the painted rails thread since it talks about getting at that hidden bolt. Since you are putting your rails on before the supercharger, it shouldn’t be an issue though.
No, I saw no pictures of this. Only that your young son had to do it because his hands were smaller.

Post #25 talks about the rear fuel rail bolt and injector. I am concerned with the rear SC bolt. My rails have to go on before my SC because they are taller. That Bolt is a bigger issue than your shorter rail because I have less room to move my wrench without either hitting the rail or the SC inlet.

Great paint job by the way.

I guess I am going to improvise and make my own wrench to tighten That Bolt. I see no other way around it.

Appreciate the help.

·
Registered
42 Posts
If the ID 1050 injectors are bigger than what you had before, I would try to avoid driving, even staying out of boost. The ECU won't know that the injectors are larger. After I installed my 2.9 Whipple with the same injectors, my tuner wrote me a tune to be able to drive the car to the dyno shop. I still had to stay out of boost but it ran pretty decent, enough to get me to the dyno. Ask your tuner if he can do the same for you, most will.

·
Premium Member
7,166 Posts
Changing the injector values is as simple as loading a value file from SCT or HP Tuners. I can't imagine they wouldn't provide a tune with that simple change unless this is a new tuner that didn't previously tune your car.

As far as the oil separator, JLT revised the baffle in the top of the oil seperator and gave them free to anyone running their separator. The new piece was a long screen tube as opposed to a short baffle assembly. If you can't tell which one you have, post a pic. The revised piece did a much better job with oil collection. They have great customer service and would send you the upgrade if you needed it. But some oil is going to get by and once it does, it's going to settle at the very bottom of the intake manifold only to get sucked up by the scavenger tube that goes from the base of the manifold to the supercharger, so it's a vicious cycle. I put longer lines and another oil separator in the middle of the scavenger system. Which reminds me I should check to see what it's doing.

The driver side oil separator shouldn't catch much, as it's the inlet side of the PCV system. It's connected to the CAI to allow filtered air into the engine. Unless you have a serious blow-by issue, it should be virtually dry.

·
Registered
206 Posts
Something like this might help. Worked wonders on the that bolt under the SC inlet. 1/2 flat bar 1/8 thick about 10 inches long. Cut a 10mm wrench and welded the two end of the wrench to the flat bar.
DSC_8055.JPG

Good luck. David

·
Registered
398 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Something like this might help. Worked wonders on the that bolt under the SC inlet. 1/2 flat bar 1/8 thick about 10 inches long. Cut a 10mm wrench and welded the two end of the wrench to the flat bar. View attachment 197726
Good luck. David
Thanks for your input. That would definitely help. The only problem is that I don't have access to a welder. I bought this one from GEARWRENCH and I'll rework it a little if I have to because I may need somewhat of an angle on it. It is 12.5" long which is fine for the length.

I have the Fore fuel rails which don't help either because they are .500" higher than the stock ones making it even more difficult to gain access to "That Bolt".

·
Registered
164 Posts
NO catch can / air oil separator catches 100 %..
100% agree, no matter if the engine is new or has very high miles you'll have piston ring blowby.

I'll never not run a dead-headed catch can unit after my experiences and knowledge on the PCV system.

I had Bob's separators on both sides of my car when I first got it (was told they were one of the best, better be for $250 per side...). As my car went higher in boost the more the catch can would have obviously, I had noticed a light coating in the blower inlet anytime I had things apart and never thought that should be the case with having oil separators. Once my motor popped and I was going through everything, you would not believe how much oil was built up in my intercooler..... It took 4 cans of brake parts cleaner to just get started, after that I used a parts washer (mineral spirits) flowing continuously for about 4 hours. After the build short block went in I said I'm never re-routing the PCV back into the engine again.

I plugged the Bob's oil separator outlet and drilled the top and put a filter on it, that worked but it wasn't large enough to vent properly but was at least not letting anything back into the engine.

I finally got around to designing/fabricating my own "race style" catch can after doing a lot of research and talking to companies, it is a significantly larger collection point with baffling and large filters that does not return back into the intake. Also for this you need to remove the PCV valve (check valve) and run larger hoses from both banks to the catch can. I know in theory/design the PCV system is supposed to be "drivers side is intake and passenger is where it relieves pressure, not the case though, especially as you go up in boost, both sides with suck and blow (well, with the PCV in the passengers side with only relieve pressure but the drivers side will do both).

·
Premium Member
2013 Shelby GT500 performance white
517 Posts
This evening I just checked both driver and passenger side oil catch cans. This is the first time I’ve checked them since the motor was rebuilt last summer, car has been in storage since November. I am shocked to see oil in the driver side catch can. Is this because of the new motor I had installed? Maybe before the seals took?
7BE2614B-4278-4213-890B-B9D7741AE471.jpeg

·
Premium Member
7,166 Posts
Could be the result of rings seating, but most built motors are going to have bigger ring gaps than a factory engine, so you might have a little more blow by than you had before. I don't use one on the driver's side, so ignorance is bliss.

·
Registered
398 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
This evening I just checked both driver and passenger side oil catch cans. This is the first time I’ve checked them since the motor was rebuilt last summer, car has been in storage since November. I am shocked to see oil in the driver side catch can. Is this because of the new motor I had installed? Maybe before the seals took?
View attachment 197758
Wow. That's way more than my passenger side has caught in over 2 years. I check it, but I've never had to empty it.

·
Moderator/Admin Dude!
31,672 Posts
Wow. That's way more than my passenger side has caught in over 2 years. I check it, but I've never had to empty it.
Your passenger side catch can is not doing it’s job. You need the revised filter media. Call JLT and see if you can get it. If not, I recommend buying their latest catch can. You should see at least what Ron posted above if not quite a bit more when it’s time to change oil.

·
Registered
164 Posts
View attachment 197758
For the exact reason I posted and yes ring gaps being larger from a non factory built motor, if you want more information on what I said this is a great write up on PCV systems, halfway down the page is about “open systems”

·
Premium Member
2013 Shelby GT500 performance white
517 Posts
Your passenger side catch can is not doing it’s job. You need the revised filter media. Call JLT and see if you can get it. If not, I recommend buying their latest catch can. You should see at least what Ron posted above if not quite a bit more when it’s time to change oil.
Take @Goose17 advice. Hi Carmen we have some oil in the passenger side catch canned. First time I’ve ever really had any in the driver side CAT scan and I believe it’s because The belt motor.

·
Registered
398 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Thank You @Rjstevens and @Goose17

Thanks for the info. I always thought it should catch more from everything I've read, but never really gave it a second thought until now. I am going to call JLT on Monday and see what they say. May hafta get their newest catch can.

·
Registered
398 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
@Goose17 and @Rjstevens

JLT sent me the new media and a new o-ring that I requested for my passenger side catch can free of charge after requesting pictures of what I was using. It was a little round screen to fit into the small hole (3/8" or so diameter) and was about an inch or so long. It was a tight fit so I just pushed it in about 1/2" or so and I hope I never have to remove it. We'll see what happens. A big shout out to Vinny Conte @ JLT for sending this to me. Great customer service.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts