Ford Shelby GT500 Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
7,186 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've got Borla mufflers that use the factory ball and socket clamp cut from the OEM mufflers. I've got one side that the clamp is fully tightened, but doesn't restrict movement of the muffler to the pipe. I'm also using Lethal's 2 3/4" over axle pipes. I don't see that anyone makes a clamp like that except in 2 1/2" and 3". Surely, I'm not the only one with this issue. If anyone has been able to resolve it, what did you do?

·
Moderator/Admin Dude!
2020 Rapid Red/black 2011 Kona Blue/white
31,762 Posts
Have you tried calling a local muffler shop John? When I got my 93 Cobra, it came with aftermarket exhaust, but the seller gave me the stock stuff. I hit a small local muffler shop and they did the swap for me, which involved some welding.

·
Premium Member
7,186 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
This would not be a good location for a weld. You'd never be able to remove it, if it were welded. The clamp was welded to the OEM muffler and Borla's instructions said to cut them off and reuse them. You can see them in this shot.

I may just order the 2.5" clamp and see if that would work or not. If it doesn't go all the way around.... oh well. If I removed the pipe and used a pipe spreader that might work, but I'm trying to correct this with out a lot of effort.

·
Moderator/Admin Dude!
2020 Rapid Red/black 2011 Kona Blue/white
31,762 Posts
This would not be a good location for a weld. You'd never be able to remove it, if it were welded. The clamp was welded to the OEM muffler and Borla's instructions said to cut them off and reuse them. You can see them in this shot.

I may just order the 2.5" clamp and see if that would work or not. If it doesn't go all the way around.... oh well. If I removed the pipe and used a pipe spreader that might work, but I'm trying to correct this with out a lot of effort.
You misunderstood me... I wasn’t saying to have them weld it. That was my case. I was saying to go there and see if they have specialty clamps or another option that might work.

·
Premium Member
7,186 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I'm pretty sure that would be a waste of my time and energy. If I can't find a clamp on line, I'm not likely to find one at the mickey mouse exhaust shops around here. I've searched the forums and most say to fold up a section of aluminum foil to work around the joint and then put the ball and socket band clamp around it. I'd rather find a more permanent solution.

Apparently Accu-seal makes a ball and socket type band clamp in 2.5" and 3" diameters and I just ordered two in the 2.5" diameter. These are stainless. I can't imagine a 1/4" will make that much difference.

This is better pic of the joint I'm dealing with and the only way I can find the clamp on Summit's site is in a kit, but Jeg's has just the clamp.

·
Registered
483 Posts
Report back on this. I actually have one side that is the same. The clamp won't get quite tight and it allows the rear muffler to pivot every so slightly and it starts touching the rear valence. I was going to see if I could "re-flare" the pipe or possible come up with a slightly smaller clamp like you are checking on.

Tom

·
Premium Member
7,186 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
Report back on this. I actually have one side that is the same. The clamp won't get quite tight and it allows the rear muffler to pivot every so slightly and it starts touching the rear valence. I was going to see if I could "re-flare" the pipe or possible come up with a slightly smaller clamp like you are checking on.
Is the side that isn't tight the driver's side? If so, there seems to be some consistency with it. I received the clamps and they're much more solid than the factory stuff, but I haven't jacked up to rear to install yet. In fact the clamps are so substantial, I don't think you can remove the bolt and slide them over the pipe. The joint will have to be opened. I just don't know if I have enough clearance to do that without removing components.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts