Ford Shelby GT500 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,533 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
From day 1, I've been of the opinion that the ol' Shelby ran unnecessarily warm.

It took some digging, searching and asking but eventually it was determined that the 2005+ Mustang GT shares the same thermostat as the Shelby GT500. This means that we have choices as to thermostat temps.
After purchasing one of each I must state that the above quote is not accurate. The correct thermostat is detailed later in this thread

Stock stats:
192 degree thermostat
204 degree primary fan temperaturer
208 degree secondary fan temperature

Since I live in Texas, most of our year is spent well above freezing. Summers are frequently above 95 degrees with highs often in the 110's and a humidity greater than 90%.

Driving this car in warm weather is a study in heat transfer. As the fresh air vents are under the hood, the vents are useless unless the A/C compressor is running.

Engine coolant temps were often between 198-208 degrees during normal non-spirited driving. Far too warm, for such a warm climate.

New stats:
180 degree thermostat
188 degree primary fan temperature
198 degree secondary fan temperature

Preliminary observations are promising. I'll capture datalogs tomorrow but parking the car in the garage no longer heats up the garage. With an air temp of 72 degrees (today!) the fresh air vents are now passing cool air to the cabin as the underhood temperatures are drastically reduced.

So far, so good. More details as they become available.
--
Ronnie

·
Premium Member
252 Posts
rlhay2, thanks and please keep us posted. I also noticed last summer that when I would arrive home after going for a QUICK spin that the car seemed awfuly warm. I will be changing mine to 180 degree tomorrow.

·
Premium Member
1,533 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
rlhay2 said:
Stock stats:
192 degree thermostat
204 degree primary fan temperature
208 degree secondary fan temperature
More stock stats, ambient air temp about 62 degrees:
IAT1 : 82
IAT2 : 120
Average running temps were 200-204 degrees.

rlhay2 said:
New stats:
180 degree thermostat
188 degree primary fan temperature
198 degree secondary fan temperature
Today's air temp was around 60 degrees resulting in the following
IAT : 74
IAT : 110
Average running temps were 184-188 degrees.

In summation, under similar conditions:
20 degree cooler engine coolant temperature
8 degree drop in IAT1 temperature
12 degree drop in IAT2 temperature

Very pleased with this mod so far!
--
Ronnie

·
Premium Member
1,533 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
How / what are you using to adjust the fan control temp start setting?
I'm using the SCT X3 flash programmer : http://mustangs.about.com/od/accessories/fr/sctx3-review.htm

I have a mail order custom tune from Justin Starkey of VMP tuning. I just added the thermostat to the car and adjusted the fan temps in the programmer, uploaded the adjusted tune into the car and voila! bye, bye heat soak.

Just FYI as the thermostat is located below the coolant tank you do have to drain some or all of the coolant to avoid making a mess. A 12-16" secton or fuel line hose attached to the drain spigot helps keep things tidy and predictable.

I refilled with a 65% distilled water / 35% mix of coolant with a bottle Redline Water Wetter. And don't forget when refilling the car to run the motor until the thermostat opens!! You'll know when this occurs as the upper hose will heat up to a temperature equal to the hose going into the thermostat housing.

On a cool evening, my car is now very consistent.

Consistently, decadently, violently fun!

·
Registered
1,132 Posts
It took some digging, searching and asking but eventually it was determined that the 2005+ Mustang GT shares the same thermostat as the Shelby GT500.
So does the 2005+ Mustang use a 192 degree thermostat as well? Where did you get the 180 degree thermostat?

·
Registered
2008 Red Super Snake, 2019 Mustang GT
465 Posts
I just ordered a 180* one today. Got it at Napa and it will be in my hands tomorrow.

·
Premium Member
1,533 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
So does the 2005+ Mustang use a 192 degree thermostat as well? Where did you get the 180 degree thermostat?
If the auto parts store is correct, the Mustang GT also has a 192 t-stat stock. But you could choose from a 160-192 in various increments.

Stant and Motorad are the two most popular choices.
I just grabbed the Napa house brand.

·
Premium Member
252 Posts
rlhay2, So, your telling me that in addition to replacing the thermostat I need to flash the engine with a flash programmer and special tuner? This is all new to an oldtimer like me. I purchased and installed the FR1-SVT performance upgrade (mufflers-CAI-programmer), do I need to buy a flash programmer especially when I take it to be dynoed? The SCT X3 looks to be the best?

·
Premium Member
1,533 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
do I need to buy a flash programmer especially when I take it to be dynoed? The SCT X3 looks to be the best?
You do not have to adjust your fan temps! But to get the best results it would be best to do so, with the stock fan settings and a lower temp thermostat you would only reap the benefits on the highway, where you have a sustained volume of air moving through the radiator.

Buying a flash programmer is the best and regrettably most expensive option. I would imagine Ford has a tuner that can do the same job but my experience with dealerships is they don't like to volunteer their services nor equipment.

·
Registered
456 Posts
More stock stats, ambient air temp about 62 degrees:
IAT1 : 82
IAT2 : 120
Average running temps were 200-204 degrees.

Today's air temp was around 60 degrees resulting in the following
IAT : 74
IAT : 110
Average running temps were 184-188 degrees.

In summation, under similar conditions:
20 degree cooler engine coolant temperature
8 degree drop in IAT1 temperature
12 degree drop in IAT2 temperature

Very pleased with this mod so far!
--
Ronnie
Do you have a CAI or are these temps recorded with the stock airbox? I haven't datalogged my Shelby, but when I checked my '06 GT with a Tunable Induction CAI my IAT was within 5 degrees of ambient on a Fresno summer day with stock thermostat. This, of course, was while the car was moving. Sitting still they all heat soak and IAT rises dramatically.

·
Premium Member
1,533 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Do you have a CAI or are these temps recorded with the stock airbox?
I do have the C&L cold air intake and these temps were recorded while moving after the car was brought up to temperature.

but when I checked my '06 GT with a Tunable Induction CAI my IAT was within 5 degrees of ambient on a Fresno summer day with stock thermostat.
Our cars run significantly warmer than than the GT's. My brother has an '05 GT and just parking the two side by side the difference is notable.
--
Ronnie

·
Premium Member
867 Posts
I have a SCT programmer and of course a custom tune. So I don't need my tuner to send me a new file I can just plug in and change the setting ? If so can you give me the steps if you have them using a SCT programmer.

I fully agree heat is not a good thing, I can drive my beast around the block and come back and park in the garage and keep the house warm for hours :(

I did a 160 in my R/T Dakota back in the day and with a new tune it made a difference... also it would trip a check engine in cooler weather. The quick fix was I would not drive it in the cold or put a piece of cardboard in the grill to restrict the cold air coming into the engine.

Than the following year I switched to a 180 and that took care of the cardboard trick.

·
Premium Member
364 Posts
I talked with Evolution a while back about getting my engine temp down. I was told not to put in a lower temp thermostat. These engines are designed to run at a higher temp. If you want higher cooling capacity go with a bigger radiator. That way it will keep your engine closer to its designed running temp during hard runs and daily high degree driving. I put in a custom made radiaitor from C&R Racing along with the AFCO intercooler.

·
Premium Member
252 Posts
I talked with Evolution a while back about getting my engine temp down. I was told not to put in a lower temp thermostat. These engines are designed to run at a higher temp. If you want higher cooling capacity go with a bigger radiator. That way it will keep your engine closer to its designed running temp during hard runs and daily high degree driving. I put in a custom made radiaitor from C&R Racing along with the AFCO intercooler.
rlhay2, What do you think about that!

·
Premium Member
1,533 Posts
Discussion Starter #16 (Edited)
rlhay2, What do you think about that!
It is human nature to believe what people want to believe.

I am of the opinion that if it were truly detrimental then Evo would not sell the 180 thermostat on their website.

http://www.evoperform.com/shop/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=11_75&products_id=528

In my honest humble opinion, $35 is rather expensive for a thermostat.

I am not a thermodynamic engineer but excess heat is never a good thing. That said, an engine can also be too cool. I think the 160 is too cold and the OEM 192 is too hot, especially if the car is modified.

The 180 is a nice compromise, resulting in running temps in mid 180s to low 190s

Smaller pulleys and especially larger superchargers, by nature create more heat in an already highly taxed thermodynamic system.

My opinion is that the 192 thermostat is utilized to help these engines meet the increasingly stringent Federal emissions standards. The more heat retained in a catalytic converter the more efficient they are and the quicker they start performing as intended.

All that said, here is my final answer: As the car's owner if you are uncomfortable about performing a mod, then don't.

But if you are the adventurous type, the internet is a great tool for performing the necessary background research.

As for resetting the fan temps, you can adjust your fan turn temps within the programming parameters of the SCT programmer. Once they are adjusted, this "adjusted" tune will then need to be uploaded to the car's ECU.

Thanks for listening,

·
Premium Member
252 Posts
Thanks rlhay2, I always enjoy reading your responses. Any thoughts on my new posting on aluminum driveshafts = hp gain?

·
Registered
300 Posts
The correct 3 way thermostat in a 180deg range is a Motorad 354-180. It is also available from Napa in a box marked TH 109. They are a reverse poppet thermostat with bypass port blockoff, ie 3 way valve, not the older 2 way stat.

·
Registered
15 Posts
That is really funny because I put the TVS stage 2 from evolution on my car in august. I talked to Fred about how hot the car was running and he told me his tune was set up for a 180 thermostat and that I should change mine along with the intercooler upgrade. I have put the stat and intercooler on and it is running cooler. I am now curious to see if his tune has the fan reset to the cooler #s.

Anyone else hear this from Fred after doing one of his upgrades?

Wyroadking

·
Registered
662 Posts
Did it today....my tuner was so impressed with the numbers on the dyno that he's calling his other customers with GT 500's to reccommend it. Thanks for the info!:zlurking:

1 - 20 of 41 Posts