Ford Shelby GT500 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
1,200 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I thought this topic is important enough to deserve it's own thread.Those of us who are considering a wheel change should be aware of the risk's vs rewards of choosing wheels and tires.

The facts are out now with regards to the performance results with both the Supersnake and the new KR.
Both have very similar if not the same suspension componants. The SS has the larger Baer brakes and at least 65 more HP. Yet the SS looses in every performance catagory including "braking".
I believe that the main reason for this lies with the fact that Ford has chosen to go with the 18" wheels and better tires.

I also posted this info in the KR suspension thread but thought it might get lost over there.http://www.fordgt500.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2100

GT500KR
0-60.......... 4.3
1/4 [email protected]
Skid pad......1.0 G
slalom.........71.7 mph
Braking........60-0 109 feet

SuperSnake
0-60 ...........4.4
1/4 mile........[email protected]
skid pad........93 G
Slalom .........68.4 mph
Braking.........60-0 118ft.

·
Premium Member
407 Posts
Larger wheels/tires=higher rotational mass. Most race cars run 18-19" wheels. I think the perfect all around wheel for street is 19''. But I'm not going to change, i like these wheels.

·
Registered
2008 Red Super Snake, 2019 Mustang GT
315 Posts
Very interesting.

Pretty much the same stuff many of us have been screaming about since the SS was announced.

·
Registered
2,101 Posts
I like the 18's, I don't want my car to look like a DONK. :lol:

·
Registered
1,200 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Very interesting.

Pretty much the same stuff many of us have been screaming about since the SS was announced.
Yes it is . You'd think that if we knew about it that they would have too.

What I don't understand is this... the name Shelby has always been associated with performance since Carroll built the first Ford powered AC Cobra , and turned the 65 Mustang (secretary car) into a race track contender.

It seems that they have chosen looks over performance here and the results speak for themselves. You can only last so long on past reputation . Quality and performance is what the enthusiasts wanted back in the day and I believe even more so today.

·
Registered
212 Posts
Yes it is . You'd think that if we knew about it that they would have too.

What I don't understand is this... the name Shelby has always been associated with performance since Carroll built the first Ford powered AC Cobra , and turned the 65 Mustang (secretary car) into a race track contender.

It seems that they have chosen looks over performance here and the results speak for themselves. You can only last so long on past reputation . Quality and performance is what the enthusiasts wanted back in the day and I believe even more so today.
I agree 100%, well put.
Maybe the 2010MY will sport 22" spinners :roller:

·
Registered
2,101 Posts
You can only last so long on past reputation . Quality and performance is what the enthusiasts wanted back in the day and I believe even more so today.

This is exactly what I have been trying to put into words over the last couple weeks.

Just didn't seem to come out like that when I stated it...your so smart. :lol:

·
Registered
2,101 Posts
I'm surprised SAI doesn't offer hydraulics and Donk size wheels...yet.

:no:

·
Registered
2,101 Posts

·
Registered
645 Posts
Me either since I told them I didn't want either the 40th or the SS package.....and that was over a year ago...
I'm on the same black list.

·
Registered
1,464 Posts
I think I was put on that list when I canceled my order for the Alcoa SS wheels. I opted for performance over looks.

·
Registered
1,200 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I think I was put on that list when I canceled my order for the Alcoa SS wheels. I opted for performance over looks.
Have you noticed that all the new Shelby style wheels available to fit our cars are of the 20" variety ,no 18's at all from them will actually fit over the Brembo brakes.

I guess that "Bling is their Thing" ! :pimp: Can you say Pimp My Ride ?:pimp: :pimp: ......(just kidding )

I'm dissapointed because I really wanted a Shelby wheel on my car.

·
Registered
1,464 Posts
Have you noticed that all the new Shelby style wheels available to fit our cars are of the 20" variety ,no 18's at all from them will actually fit over the Brembo brakes.

I guess that "Bling is their Thing" ! :pimp: Can you say Pimp My Ride ?:pimp: :pimp: ......(just kidding )

I'm disappointed because I really wanted a Shelby wheel on my car.
Yeah. I would like to get aftermarket wheels. I like stock, but I want something different. But without anything available in 18", I'm just widening the stock wheels.

·
Registered
2,101 Posts
Yeah. I would like to get aftermarket wheels. I like stock, but I want something different. But without anything available in 18", I'm just widening the stock wheels.

If you have your wheels widened I would love to hear your first hand thoughts.

1 - 20 of 40 Posts